Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To Rota or not to Rota..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, I wonder what the haters will say to that.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:31 PM

So many of the people complaining about Rota's are absolutely never going to have builds big enough to crack one.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
I ended up buying Volks and I don't regret it.

A big swaying factor was that I could get volks within 2 weeks, and wheeldude quoted me 8-12 weeks for a set of grids. I got a great deal on the TEs so I went for it and now I'm happy I did.
Damn, what size was the TE's you got? Pricing?
The price different between Rotas and TE's are like...1-2 grand lol
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:11 AM

Wow! Nice find wheeldude
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
Interesting, I wonder what the haters will say to that.
you see it back wards, as usually happens... LOL
I dont know any one who has any originally designed wheels and start bashing rota out of the blue. def. i dont do it. But the Rota guys tend to be bashing others and call them stupid ect to buy wheels for gold..." look , mine looks like yours , but why you paid that much for yours ? are you stupid? " LOL
When you dont see the value there is no place to to discuss the difference. This is how it started if i remember right back then.
The problem is , some feels badly / either end/ and then it starts. Personally i dont hate rotas, but discredit the other wheels what they actually copy/ see the paradox?/ and call them a same quality is just a dreamers dream. You should think why is ONLY the Rota is a hot subject no other wheels are really. Even in a same price or close price range , like Enkei's No one bashing those but they are not much more money. But there are other brands too. Maybe those guys dont bashing VolK etc owners?

Fact is , Rotas are good enough wheels for DD. Over that since they dont have any reputable race experience i wouldn't buy it for other purposes. Even in car show they fail as soon as they name surface...
The evo sis a high performance car there for is a good idea to have something reputable on it where it counts. IF you got a rexspeed CF heatshiled or wing will never cause problem for you. maybe for others if its falls down. LOL

In my honest opinion about them is expressed many times. I cant respect them for a high performance car market. For two reason, there is no really brain behind they products and they lacking any experience in racing, but they copy racing wheels too and selling them.
For other cars they are fine. relatively cheap /because they are not that braking news cheap/ and because the design they copy they look good. SO end of the day nothing really astonishing behind them.
They could have and can change they reputation if they put they wheels in serious racings . I think that is the only way to gain confidence in people, as other wheels did. But that maybe would raise they prices.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 8, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

A cover band never makes it to the big time until they write their own song...

They are fine budget wheels, I have owned them in the past, but as I have said.. owning both, the quality difference is huge. To each their own, I won't bash you for buying knockoffs as I was the OP and looked into buying them, but don't bash me for buying wheels you are imitating.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of Rota Torques Gunmetal in my closet right now...one of the rims is cracked right at the lip...i was driving to work one day and my tire pressure light came on...5 min later my tire was flat....i've had em in the closet ever since. One of the wheels is brand new because it was replaced after that one cracked also....if any one is looking for one brand new Rota Torque wheel pm me...Rotas and NJ/NYC potholes dont agree with each other. Im looking to buy some Enkeis as soon as the winter is over.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
you see it back wards, as usually happens... LOL
I dont know any one who has any originally designed wheels and start bashing rota out of the blue. def. i dont do it. But the Rota guys tend to be bashing others and call them stupid ect to buy wheels for gold..." look , mine looks like yours , but why you paid that much for yours ? are you stupid? " LOL
When you dont see the value there is no place to to discuss the difference. This is how it started if i remember right back then.
The problem is , some feels badly / either end/ and then it starts. Personally i dont hate rotas, but discredit the other wheels what they actually copy/ see the paradox?/ and call them a same quality is just a dreamers dream. You should think why is ONLY the Rota is a hot subject no other wheels are really. Even in a same price or close price range , like Enkei's No one bashing those but they are not much more money. But there are other brands too. Maybe those guys dont bashing VolK etc owners?

Fact is , Rotas are good enough wheels for DD. Over that since they dont have any reputable race experience i wouldn't buy it for other purposes. Even in car show they fail as soon as they name surface...
The evo sis a high performance car there for is a good idea to have something reputable on it where it counts. IF you got a rexspeed CF heatshiled or wing will never cause problem for you. maybe for others if its falls down. LOL

In my honest opinion about them is expressed many times. I cant respect them for a high performance car market. For two reason, there is no really brain behind they products and they lacking any experience in racing, but they copy racing wheels too and selling them.
For other cars they are fine. relatively cheap /because they are not that braking news cheap/ and because the design they copy they look good. SO end of the day nothing really astonishing behind them.
They could have and can change they reputation if they put they wheels in serious racings . I think that is the only way to gain confidence in people, as other wheels did. But that maybe would raise they prices.

Rob
I don't see it backwards...I just think that people hate on rota's for the wrong reasons. I personally have rota's and I am embarrassed to say so. I want a set of RPF-1's, not because I like the way they look, because I don't, but because they are the lightest/strongest inexpensive wheel. If I want wheels that look good and are light they cost $3k. Function over form FTW! If it doesn't make it stop quicker, turn harder or accelerate faster I don't want it. The rota's came about as a winter rim, but they look nicer then the factory wheels, so I run them in the summer. Hopefully that changes soon.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have Rota P45R 18x9.5 for about a year.

Pro:
Makes the overall appearance looks good.
Affordable
Good as a winter wheel

Con:
Too heavy (22lbs vs 17lbs stock bbs)
Kills MPG
Acceleration is noticeably slower
More stress on the clutch
Its not even a babe magnet, attracts all the guys instead! jk

I would probably buy Rota again but only for winter use.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

get rotas they look good....
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
A cover band never makes it to the big time until they write their own song...
Give his man a Pulitzer... or a
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see it backwards...I just think that people hate on rota's for the wrong reasons. I personally have rota's and I am embarrassed to say so. I want a set of RPF-1's, not because I like the way they look, because I don't, but because they are the lightest/strongest inexpensive wheel. If I want wheels that look good and are light they cost $3k. Function over form FTW! If it doesn't make it stop quicker, turn harder or accelerate faster I don't want it. The rota's came about as a winter rim, but they look nicer then the factory wheels, so I run them in the summer. Hopefully that changes soon.
Hey that I'd perfectly fine. I would run rotas for a dd car or as a winter wheelsi have a Breitling watch and I also had a same exact copy of it. But the fake is stoped working so I'm looking for a replacent.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I have ROTA's for my car. They are OK for what they are. A cheap way to get a better look and have a second setup for seasonal changes. They are used for DD duty only and I figure if they are going to get chipped, dinged etc., I would just rather spend less money.

I agree the REAL wheels, are better made and weigh less. For show cars and racing the ROTA's are probably not the way to go.

For me, for a daily, I think they are just fine. Most people outside of this forum or enthusiasts in the know, have no clue they are cheap knock offs. The casual show goer or street cruiser thinks they look awesome.

BTW, LITTLE KISS is getting by just fine as a cover band.

Last edited by dboz; Feb 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Unsprung weight is a big factor in both performance and driveability. If you can afford lighter/stronger wheels, isnt it a no brainer?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

just in the second thought, why no one rallies with rotas?
that would be a total proof for them if they can do it.
after a year would be clear where we at with them no?

Quick Reply: To Rota or not to Rota..