Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To Rota or not to Rota..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Rota or not to Rota..

So it's looking like I may need tires within the next month or two, and I'm trying to plan ahead so I dont buy all kind's of performance parts and then get stuck needing tires with no way to pay for them.

So while investing in new tires, I fully plan to buy wheels and springs at the same time. I think I've decided on the TEIN S-Tech springs, I like the stance and TEIN is a name I trust as I had their coilover setup on my integra and they were immaculate. Now for wheels, at first I considered Volks, then realized dropping 4k on wheels is just not my thing. I also really like the Work CR Kai's, and they are slightly more affordable at close to 2k, but I'm torn. I have seen nightmares people posted up of their cars sitting on the axles because people steal their wheels. Living in an apartment with no gated parking area, I would constantly be worried about theft.

So I'm considering going the Rota route, I have had them in the past and have been very happy with the quality. I'm looking at the Grids in black or cosmic blue, torque in black, and the CE28 knockoffs in black. I wouldn't riceboy it up and try to pass them off as something they are not, but I guess I'm looking for feedback on the ride. I think one of my stock wheels is bent or the tires are just severely out of balance, because I get a pretty severe steering wheel shake between 70-85, after 85 its fine again. Weird, I know. If I buy new wheels, I want to fix this issue, not deal with it. I dont know if I can expect that from rotas.

I don't really plan to track the car, maybe the occasional auto-x. Just a nice clean, fun-to-drive DD.

Another option is the RPF-1 in blue or black, they are a couple hundred bucks more then the rotas.

All of these will be 18x9.5 with an aggressive offset and wrapped in Bridge Potenzas on my baby:

Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Please do yourself a favor and get RPF1s. They are one of the stronger wheels, have a great manufacturing process, look great, and have a racing history.

Rotas imo, are not for high performance cars. They have had instances of cracking and don't live up to the expectations of the wheels they so blatantly copy. It sounds like you value brand name with TEIN, imo, you won't be happy with Rotas at all.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Please do yourself a favor and get RPF1s. They are one of the stronger wheels, have a great manufacturing process, look great, and have a racing history.

Rotas imo, are not for high performance cars. They have had instances of cracking and don't live up to the expectations of the wheels they so blatantly copy. It sounds like you value brand name with TEIN, imo, you won't be happy with Rotas at all.
basically what I was looking for. Thank you migs.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

I've had rotas on my personal car (evo 9 mr) and have no complaints, if you are not going to be doing any track time you will be ok. If you have the few extra bucks, go for the enkei's!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:25 AM

You will have to decide for yourself. Rotas are great looking wheels for the money. If you have the resources and want higher priced rims then by all means do it. Just a reminder, rota's can and have been tracked with so its not like they're just for show.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

are they comparable to the real deal quality wise I guess is what Im asking?

Not weight.. mostly will the ride quality still be there.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Ride quality is a subjective term. So it's hard to answer that.

What makes Volks great is how strong they are and how light they are.

Just because Rotas have been tracked, doesn't mean it's safe. I've personally seen with my own eyes a cracked Rota wheel. I will never recommend them.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:34 AM

They are perfectly fine. Its all branding man. Many racing teams run rota, without problems.
But volks are forged, and rota are cast. Honestly I have owned volks, and unless you are a huge track junkie, then their not worth it. It was nice having people "oohhh and ahhhh" at my 3000+ wheels. But i'd much rather have bought rotas and use the other 2000 into engine performance. Rota ftmfw!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedSlvrGSR
are they comparable to the real deal quality wise I guess is what Im asking?

Not weight.. mostly will the ride quality still be there.
So I think you're asking about reliablilty between Rotas and real deal forged rims by Volk. Wheel quality is a safety issue, so I'm sure there are some international codes or standards that wheel manufacturers have to abide. Im pretty sure Rotas arent made by somebody in their back yard as a hobby. If you do some research that you will find failed Rotas as well as failed Volks. Its like this: do you buy brand name medicine, or do you buy generic medicine at the store. I find that generic medicine is cheaper and does the same job. If you have the money, and want absolute original product, get the brand name.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pmoney559
So I think you're asking about reliablilty between Rotas and real deal forged rims by Volk. Wheel quality is a safety issue, so I'm sure there are some international codes or standards that wheel manufacturers have to abide. Im pretty sure Rotas arent made by somebody in their back yard as a hobby. If you do some research that you will find failed Rotas as well as failed Volks. Its like this: do you buy brand name medicine, or do you buy generic medicine at the store. I find that generic medicine is cheaper and does the same job. If you have the money, and want absolute original product, get the brand name.
Not only do I buy generic medicine, I buy off-brand cheese, milk, bread, and anything else that has a generic counter-part.

Holy ****, I think im a rota guy.

Pushn: I'm thinking the same way as you, Could I afford the volks, sure.. Could I save 3 grand, and put that back into the motor? yep. Do I want to be called a tool for putting 800 dollar wheels on a 35,000 dollar car? not really, but I stopped caring what others thought awhile ago.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:07 AM

^^ Haha. Sounds like he was just hit with an epiphany that he isn't sure is necessarily good.

+1 to the generic medicine comparison. Nice one.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:08 AM

FYI, I like ROTA wheels, but I barely went off the track in my sti and it bent 2 of my wheels. Enkei Wheels or BBS wheels have not let me down. Spend a little more if and don't risk having to buy an extra wheel if one gets bent.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxgsr2010
^^ Haha. Sounds like he was just hit with an epiphany that he isn't sure is necessarily good.

+1 to the generic medicine comparison. Nice one.
this thread has changed my life..
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Mehh any wheels will crack. I've cracked my RPF1 on one of the spokes. I have rota and bent one of the wheel but that's because I hit a bad pot hole on the FWY after it stopped raining for a week.

Things happens... RPF1 and Rota seem to be in same price range. If not ROTA is lower. Behind every crack, bends, and broken wheels there's a story.

With all these broken wheel stories I never seen one actually happening. It's always he said, she said, my friend, or I read it off the internet.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I think Rotas are a good choice for a daily driver or a budget minded buyer. I have rota torques on my DD VIII and was a little cautious given their "quaility issues". I must say I am completly satisfied with them for a few reasons. 100% reliable, look good, if I park somewhere i dont worry if my car is gonna be on bricks when I come out and if it is, it isnt nearly as big a deal.

There are a few reasons to buy the big brand names, the o la la factor, light weight (saves gas and higher performance), quality (how much is debatable).

Quick Reply: To Rota or not to Rota..