Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got Conti DWS' mounted today... impressions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Conti DWS' mounted today... impressions...

Well I had posted in the general section that I had gotten my wheels warrantied, but they mounted them for me since they were going to have to mount the old ones anyway.

The DWS':
Well, they are no Advans, but that isn't all bad... I could immediately feel the softness of the sidewall when quickly turning the wheel back and forth.
They are however MUCH MUCH better riding, they still corner very nicely, the road noise is cut down to almost none. I haven't gotten to test them on some of the corners I usually take a little quicker than others just to see how much grip they have before they let lose. Golden has had them on his car and auto X'ed them and driven them on all kinds of surfaces from what he has told me.
These tires are for the winter for me... I am getting a set of summer tires with the Hancook Ventus V12 which is a 220 or maybe 280? rated tire while the DWS is 540... I think it will be a nice balance and close to factory without it riding quite as rough.

So far I like the new tires however and I will post more as I get more miles on them and in different conditions.

Last edited by Methodical4u; Nov 10, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
These tires are for the winter for me... I am getting a set of summer tires with the Hancook Ventus V12 which is a 220 or maybe 280? rated tire while the DWS is 540... I think it will be a nice balance and close to factory without it riding quite as rough.
Hankooks are 280.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

yes they are... I got my numbers mixed up... but i'm getting 265's so the contact patch on them will help a bit more with grip that the standard 245.... or so i've been told by others who have these tires.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: I got on the car a bit today and did notice that the car does not get up and go the same way it did with the advans.. I have not checked the tire pressure, but I assume since I just had them mounted yesterday that it should be the correct amount of pressure. I assume that because these tires are not as hard (sidewall) that it causes them to perhaps not get the same sort of jump and they flex more than with the OE tires.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or if i'm right about that by the way... i'm curious myself, as I am not expert. Other than that, the handling does pretty good for an all season and again, the ride quality cannot be beat.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
thanks for the review, I'm looking to get the same tires for the winter...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

well they are the highest rated all season on tire rack, that has to be worth something. being here in oregon i will slam a set of these on my te37s when i get them. it rains all the time here and all seasons are the way to go.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

can anyone confirm that the car not feeling quite as quick during take off is due to the softer A/S sidewill? Just finished tuning, so it shouldn't be anything else.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

sidewall flex has mostly to do with the aspect ratio of the tire. since i'm guessing you have a 40 ratio it should pretty much be the same flex as your advans were. the reason why it may not feel as quick though is because it has less grip. as soon as your car's awd/asc systems kick in and feel that you are losing grip it will actually decrease the amount of fuel/throttle it gives to your engine. i'm guessing that is what you're feeling when you try to launch up and get going quickly
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:17 AM

I just installed 245/40R18 continental DWS's with Enkei 18x8.5 PFO1's on my GSR. With PF1's they weight just 43 pounds, versus stock Enkei's with Advans at 47.5 pounds. The stock Advans are way sticker and steering response is noticibly decreased with the Continentals. With a 18 pound drop in unsprung weight however, this combo should actually accelerate faster once the car is rolling, but clearly the Advans are faster off the line. Looking forward to snow!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

perhaps more pressure is needed in the tire? If a tire is rated at a certain amount max... how much can you go below that safely? 2-4 lbs?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:14 AM

I just put on a set 0f 245's 2 week ends ago, incredidbly quiet and smooth. Lots of side wall flex though takes a while to get used to, definately would buy again. Though the 45 series rating seems a little skewed, the car is sitting noticeably taller, anyone else notice that?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMS60R
I just put on a set 0f 245's 2 week ends ago, incredidbly quiet and smooth. Lots of side wall flex though takes a while to get used to, definately would buy again. Though the 45 series rating seems a little skewed, the car is sitting noticeably taller, anyone else notice that?
I got 40's.... so no.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
dws is a pure all season tire.. there is really no such thing as a performance all season tire. i had re960as before this and they handle a little better i guess but honestly i'm not looking for performance when im just driving around on the street.. thats what a second set of wheels and tires are for

obviously it is not going to compete with a summer tire but IMO this is the best all season tire available for all season driving. i launched on it once for a laugh and i just spun
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
UPDATE: I got on the car a bit today and did notice that the car does not get up and go the same way it did with the advans.. I have not checked the tire pressure, but I assume since I just had them mounted yesterday that it should be the correct amount of pressure. I assume that because these tires are not as hard (sidewall) that it causes them to perhaps not get the same sort of jump and they flex more than with the OE tires.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or if i'm right about that by the way... i'm curious myself, as I am not expert. Other than that, the handling does pretty good for an all season and again, the ride quality cannot be beat.
I have done a fair bit of research on this tire and testing on the track in both the evo x and Lancer. The tire is a different beast and should not be compared to a solid summer tire.

The design of the tire puts new technologies and designs to work. The one that applies here would be the chamfered edge technology.

“chamfered edge” technology for dry performance. This dry road surface technology generates greater acceleration grip, handling and braking traction in dry conditions. Solid outer shoulder and chamfered pattern edges concentrates on a maximum surface contact, resulting in increased traction."

The tires have great bite but there is an inherent swaying/flexing that for a brief moment makes things unstable. After turning a handful of semi professional drivers loose on these tires during some R&D time. The number one description that came to their minds was the initial unstable nature of the tire when conducting cornering and maneuvering.

"If almost feels like its not going to hold when you start into the turn, but it surprising... it buckles down, digs in and carries you thru the rest of the corner"

Is the tire in any regards a track tire. No.... the unstable nature or twitchy initial feedback does not inspire confidence. It you hold, it will take you thru a turn. But you have to really trust the tire and get use to that delayed feedback.

When I interviewed some of the engineers involved with the DW and DWS project, everything can be summed up to the fact that the objective was to design a All season tire that dominates in Wet and Snow. As a result the read design will have a feel and nature to it that will put off most professional drivers.

And that is something I can confirm because every Pro driver gave the tire a fail when it comes to the track. Number 1 complaint....

"The tire is too comfortable! You go over rough patch, it doesnt feel rough, you go over a bump it doesnt feel like a bump. If you drive on the grass it would still feel comfortable."

To sum it up... On the track, you want instant feedback of the road, not be insulated by it.

All that aside. The tire is perfect. And represents a new level in Tire Technology. I made the call almost two years ago that Conti is really going to clean up with the DWS and DW tire. And with talk and rumors of a further developed tire in the near future. Conti is going to win allow of awards and alot of OE contracts. At SEMA, Conti just picked up an award for their Eco tire technology.

Continental Tire’s ground-breaking ProContact™ with EcoPlus Technology tire was awarded “Best New Product
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

For those thinking about getting these tires. I would strongly suggest getting them now rather than later. Its been proven time and time again that Conti incorrectly set the price of this tire too low. It has constantly been sold out time and time again at Tire rack and everywhere else is most sizes. And the price has been claiming since its release. here is another pricing increase coming.

Continental Tire Announces Price Increase – Continental Tire price increase is effective January 1, 2011

Fort Mill, SC – (Nov 1, 2010) –Continental Tire The Americas (CTA) announces a price increase of up to 6.5% with some in-line adjustments on all PLT Continental, General and Proprietary Brand passenger and light truck tires in the United States. The price increase will vary by product line and size. The price increase is effective as of January 1, 2011, for the U.S. market and is a response to the continuing rise in raw material cost.

About Continental Tire:

With sales of approximately €20 billion in 2009, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide. As a supplier of brake systems, systems and components for powertrains and chassis, instrumentation, infotainment solutions, vehicle electronics, tires and technical elastomers, Continental contributes to enhanced driving safety and global climate protection. Continental is also a competent partner in networked automobile communication. Continental currently employs approximately 143,000 in 46 countries.

Media Contacts:

Dana Zamalloa
Manager, PR and Communications
Continental Tire the Americas, LLC.
1830 MacMillan Park Dr.
Fort Mill, SC 29716
Phone: 704-583-8165
Cell: 704-941-49845
E-mail: dana.zamalloa@conti-na.com

Abbey Linville
PR/Marketing Coordinator
Crowl, Montgomery & Clark
123 Wilbur Dr., NE
North Canton, OH 44720
Phone: 330-494-6999, ext. 207
Cell: 330-418-6630
E-mail: alinville@crowlinc.com

Online media database:
www.mediacenter.continental-corporation.com
North America online media database:
www.CTAMedia.com,
www.CTAMedia.mobi.

> Download this release (Word® doc)

Quick Reply: Got Conti DWS' mounted today... impressions...