Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook V12's vs. other "summer tires"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hankook V12's vs. other "summer tires"

I am looking around at some pricing on wheels and tires and such... the V12's have been recommended to me by multiple people who love them. I am looking at 265 35 18's with some new wheels (haven't decided on them yet) but i'm wondering... I am looking for something a bit more comfortable than the OE tires, but at the same time I do want that performance... you can't have it both ways in most cases I realize... but if I get the 265's wouldn't that help a bit more than just a 245 because of that little bit of added width? I guess what I am asking is are they comparable to the OE's with that added amount of width? They did pull a .93g on the skidpad, while I think the OE's did .99, would I really notice that out driving on the street though?

I just like the idea of having a little bit of a better wear rating, but still a good rated tire.

Anyone tried the V12's and other summer tires that can give some info on them?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

/thread.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Yeah I actually had read that last night... it's impressive for not being an extreme summer tire... i'm just wondering if anyone here has tried both types... just to get that real world experience you know?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the V12's on my 350 and all I can say is I loved them. Even got some auto-x time on them and they more than impressed me. Buy these tires and you'll be happy, guarenteed.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
Yeah I actually had read that last night... it's impressive for not being an extreme summer tire... i'm just wondering if anyone here has tried both types... just to get that real world experience you know?
I run V12 Evos. What would you like to know? I noticed you mentioning steady-state skidpad performance, which is mostly irrelevant aside from academic comparisons. The added width is also largely irrelevant on the street, unless you're looking for less precise turn-in and more rotational mass. As far as grip goes, I guarantee that you will not be able to exceed their performance on the street, stock size or otherwise.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:05 AM

I have the v12's on my grids and i didnt get to use them that much because i went with a 18 9.5 and it rubs my fender so i need to get them cut because everytime i would hammer it the fender would cut the tires because of the torque but you will defintely be able to tell the comfort and the performance on the street or track you will be impressed
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have tried dunlop Z1 star specs and am currently on hankook v12 evos. I was a bit apprehensive on getting these tires since I saw some bad track reviews on these tires. My car is my daily driver and I also do autocrosses and HPDE track days. The Z1's were excellent on the autocross and track but were noisy and a bit rough on the highway. I haven't tried the hankooks on the autox but they are a decent track tire and is more comfortable on the highway in addition to being quiet. They give up a bit of performance to the star specs but I dont regret the decision one bit.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I run V12 Evos. What would you like to know? I noticed you mentioning steady-state skidpad performance, which is mostly irrelevant aside from academic comparisons. The added width is also largely irrelevant on the street, unless you're looking for less precise turn-in and more rotational mass. As far as grip goes, I guarantee that you will not be able to exceed their performance on the street, stock size or otherwise.
I'm just curious like say the OE advans are a 10 gripwise, the V12's would be what? Would I better off for instance with the Hankook RS-3 or the starspec?

Last edited by Methodical4u; Nov 11, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I'm just curious like say the OE advans are a 10 gripwise, the V12's would be what?
I can only compare them to the 046s that came stock on the CT9A. If they're a 10, and they are, the V12s are a 9-10 in the dry on the street and a 11 in the wet.

Would I better off for instance with the Hankook RS-3 or the starspec?
Depends on the application. IIRC, you don't race the car, right? I can say that I went through the stock Advans in ~7.5K miles (rotated, aligned regularly) and it takes work to make the V12 the limiting factor. OTOH, if on-track performance is most important, there are better choices.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I can only compare them to the 046s that came stock on the CT9A. If they're a 10, and they are, the V12s are a 9-10 in the dry on the street and a 11 in the wet.

Depends on the application. IIRC, you don't race the car, right? I can say that I went through the stock Advans in ~7.5K miles (rotated, aligned regularly) and it takes work to make the V12 the limiting factor. OTOH, if on-track performance is most important, there are better choices.
no I don't race it at all.... wouldn't mind finding a nice local road course to go to though.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

check out the goodyear assymetics. they are very comparable to the PS2's but alot cheaper. I run them and love them. also ran them as summer tires on my audi in germany.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
check out the goodyear assymetics. they are very comparable to the PS2's but alot cheaper. I run them and love them. also ran them as summer tires on my audi in germany.
it's been a while, but I do not recall them getting very good reviews... I could be wrong and it could have been another goodyear tire.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
hankook rs3 is better
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
hankook rs3 is better
well thank you for the detail lol
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by kyooch
hankook rs3 is better
As a daily driver, no track time tire? I'd have my doubts about that.

Quick Reply: Hankook V12's vs. other "summer tires"