Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Can 17's fit on the X?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010 | 03:54 PM

Well rally teams put 15 and 16 inch wheels on no problem but they have some pretty crazy brake kit stuff that they do. I know MSI makes a front upright for the X that allows you to use 6pot alcon brakes and 15 inch rally wheels but i doubt its the quick fix your friend is looking for.
http://www.mooresport.com/produit.php?prod_id=13
Old Dec 4, 2010 | 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PFC Brakes
The Rotor on a Evo X have slightly bigger calipers and rotors 17 inch wheels will not fit. I actually have a friend that has a Evo x and he put his 17 work wheels off his Evo 9 on the X and they wouldn't fit he swapped front brakes and the 17s fit like a shoe.
I would listen to this PFC brakes are the bomb. They would know lol.
Old Dec 4, 2010 | 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 416_EVO
95% people say 17" won't fit on Evo X... however during my search for my winter setup, I saw ONE post on EvoM saying someone fitted a set of 17" on an X but no further confirmation. Do a search again. Post was 2 yrs old I think iirc.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...x9-5-18-a.html

I believe this is the thread you are talking about. Funny thing is, the guy that claims this, he never responded to my PM. I still see him online posting in other threads...its obvious he's trying to avoid my question or me calling him out...

Then theres another thread floating around here somewhere...some guy literally posted up a picture of an Evo X with Volk TE-37 and said "Look, they do fit"....and obviously not showing a close up of the tire size...he never responded when everyone question his evidence
Old Dec 4, 2010 | 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...x9-5-18-a.html

I believe this is the thread you are talking about. Funny thing is, the guy that claims this, he never responded to my PM. I still see him online posting in other threads...its obvious he's trying to avoid my question or me calling him out...

Then theres another thread floating around here somewhere...some guy literally posted up a picture of an Evo X with Volk TE-37 and said "Look, they do fit"....and obviously not showing a close up of the tire size...he never responded when everyone question his evidence
Spent some time and dug this up again...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-2010-mr.html

PS funny thing tho OP and the poster of my finding also confused ' and " ' is foot and " is inch... 17 foot rims?

Last edited by 416_EVO; Dec 4, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2010 | 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thats the one I saw....its a really weird thread...it STILL doesn't give us 100% proof that 17's fit...that guy FLK is a complete tool....

I have still yet to see a legitimate 17 inch wheel setup on a USDM Evo X....if it's a JDM evo x, I could careless...I know some models came with smaller brakes....but for USDM Evo X's, they all came with the 13.8 inch rotor with brembo 4 piston caliper...I doubt 17s would fit...it's way too small...I've test fitted one myself and I can't see it happening

Please post up if someone can prove me wrong...I actually want to be proven wrong so I can go out and buy some 17s myself
Old Dec 4, 2010 | 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

agree! unless someone did something lame enough to swap a IX "abalone" (I mean calipers) to an X to use 17" (or even smaller rims) for special purpose (thus drag).
Old Dec 6, 2010 | 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Like I said not possible there is no 17 inch wheel with a barrel big enough to fit a 17 over the stock X brake. The only X ive seen has evo 9 brakes on the front.
Old Dec 6, 2010 | 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

i test fitted...the brakes are only like a paper gap clearance, so if u put a wheel weight in between, it will rub.
here is the post that i posted before, in there has a picture of 17"
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...its-evo-x.html
Old Dec 6, 2010 | 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by love67
i test fitted...the brakes are only like a paper gap clearance, so if u put a wheel weight in between, it will rub.
Why thank you now this story tale can finally rest
Old Dec 6, 2010 | 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love67
any more pics?

and these are the 5zigens?
Old Dec 6, 2010 | 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

we couldn't .
Old Dec 9, 2010 | 12:45 PM

correct me if im wrong but it all depends on the off-set to cleat the brake calipers

Last edited by Smike; Dec 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2010 | 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jersey-201
correct me if im wrong but it all depends on the off-set to cleat the brake calipers
Offset is important but for Evo X it's more to the diameter than offset
Old Dec 9, 2010 | 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know i ever posted this, but this is just a rotor size difference between the IX and the X.
The IX literally fits in the X rotor. Now from there check the clearance on the IX between the calipers and the rims. Then thinking about it how safely you can put the 17's on the X with a even bigger calipers. Im sure somehow can be done, but you really want it? I can see the neccesity on gravel or snow , but also those conditions where you actually need clearance between the rotors and wheels. and the 15' wheels are better there anyway. So You need a brake change from the begin with.

Name:  P1030024.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  95.1 KB
Old Dec 12, 2010 | 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
any more pics?

and these are the 5zigens?
sorry, i don't have anymore picture. and yes they are 5zigens

Quick Reply: Can 17's fit on the X?