Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

can i get girodisc front rotors and keep my oem rears?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i get girodisc front rotors and keep my oem rears?

i was thinking of just changing out the front rotors first.

is there any reason i cant/shouldnt do it this way?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yes you can run different front and rear rotors. If you're going to spend the money though on the giro disc I'd be sure to get the two piece for the weight savings even though they are more expensive than the one piece replacement rotors. I plan on going with the two piece front and rear's after I get the new rims put on the car.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:38 AM
Account Disabled

have you considered DBA?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
Yes you can run different front and rear rotors. If you're going to spend the money though on the giro disc I'd be sure to get the two piece for the weight savings even though they are more expensive than the one piece replacement rotors. I plan on going with the two piece front and rear's after I get the new rims put on the car.

Cool. I'll probably get 2 piece fronts and then eventually switch out my rears.

Why do i see many people buy two piece fronts and one piece rears?

just to save money?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by seishichiro
Cool. I'll probably get 2 piece fronts and then eventually switch out my rears.

Why do i see many people buy two piece fronts and one piece rears?

just to save money?
It's probably because of cost. Eventhough the rears are smaller, the 2 pc rotor for the rear cost more. It's probably because the difficulty in machining the hat.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Synaptic3e
have you considered DBA?
DBA is quite a bit more expensive.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2pc rear rotor costs more due to machine time and material used. A front rotor can use a 7" round by 1" piece of aluminum where as a rear can use a 9" round by 3" piece of aluminum which a mill has to then hollow the center out. Higher material cost and a lot more machining time.

Brake Bias on the EVO is about 75% front and 25% rear. Many of our customers run the 2pc fronts and 1pc rears because it costs less and some can't justify the cost of the rear rotors. 1pc rotors last considerably longer in the rear then the front simply because they don't see as much action. The rear 2pc rotors are great for weight saving and they last a very long time but for some its a money thing, others its overkill, and some just like to be able to do e-brake turns. The 2pc rotor's aluminum hat retains full function of the parking brakes but only for its "intended" propose. Ripping the e-brake while moving on a 2pc rotor will destroy the inside of the hat.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:03 PM

i did not know that. thanks for all the info.

i may switch out my front rotors because they are a little warped.

of course eventually i'll switch out the rears for girodisc rotors too.

Originally Posted by Girodisc Martin
The 2pc rear rotor costs more due to machine time and material used. A front rotor can use a 7" round by 1" piece of aluminum where as a rear can use a 9" round by 3" piece of aluminum which a mill has to then hollow the center out. Higher material cost and a lot more machining time.

Brake Bias on the EVO is about 75% front and 25% rear. Many of our customers run the 2pc fronts and 1pc rears because it costs less and some can't justify the cost of the rear rotors. 1pc rotors last considerably longer in the rear then the front simply because they don't see as much action. The rear 2pc rotors are great for weight saving and they last a very long time but for some its a money thing, others its overkill, and some just like to be able to do e-brake turns. The 2pc rotor's aluminum hat retains full function of the parking brakes but only for its "intended" propose. Ripping the e-brake while moving on a 2pc rotor will destroy the inside of the hat.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 05:22 PM

Two piece all the way. Giro-Disc would be my first option but DBA makes some really good two piece rotors as well.