Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need suggestions for tires...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
PCX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need suggestions for tires...

My tires are going to be completely bald soon. I don't think I'm gonna pay 1420 for original equipped ADVAN A13C. I went to Tire Rack and it seems Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and AVID ENVigor are the best seller for my stock wheels. Any suggestions and comments?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What type of driving do you do, what's your budget, and how long would you like the tires to last?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:38 PM

I'm also interested in some info. My car's a daily driver. No track or aggressive driving.
What's the cheapest tires I can get right now until I can save up for some nice rims/tires combo?

Also need long lasting tires.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AVID ENVigors are allseason (kind of a waste to put allseason tires on these cars for year round use) and Direzza Star Specs are extreme performance summer tires so you have to decide what type of tire suits how you will be driving your car. If you don't track much then the Star Specs may be overkill and a Max Performance Summer tire would suffice. For the money you can't beat the Continental Extremecontact DW. It came out on top of the latest tire rack comparison against more expensive tires like the Eagle F1 Asymmetric and Pilot Sport PS2 tires. Plus they have the highest average review rating of 9 from buyers so people seem to be very happy with them. If you do track a lot the Star Specs are really good but Hankook Ventus R-S3 and Nitto NT-05 are also good extreme performance tires that cost less than the Star Specs. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and Advan AD08 are amongst the best but are on the pricey side and like all of these extreme performance tires they aren't going to last any longer than the stock Advans.

Last edited by heavyD; Dec 16, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on my WRX and love them. They grip really well on the street and too well at the strip. For the price you get a decent tire that will last a couple of seasons depending on driving style and if you track the car.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by euphoricgear
I'm also interested in some info. My car's a daily driver. No track or aggressive driving.
What's the cheapest tires I can get right now until I can save up for some nice rims/tires combo?

Also need long lasting tires.
Sumitomo HTR Z II
360 treadwear
ultra high performance summer tire
$116/ea. @ Tirerack (+ shipping)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=GSR
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:02 PM
RiG
Evolving Member

I had the dunlop direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs on my Evo when I bought it, but the price of them was too much when it was time for replacements. So I went with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101s the sport z1s handled a little nicer but Im happy with the DZ101s.
I have had the Sumitomo HTRZ II and the HTRZ IIIs on my 359 AWHP Talon and I like the HTRZ IIIs better. They handled better and I could launch on them without spinning a whole lot. ha. None of the tires last that long with agressive driving.

Edit: If you are looking for something just cheap that will last just check out tire rack for the cheapest tire with the highest treadwear rating.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Sumitomo HTR Z II
360 treadwear
ultra high performance summer tire
$116/ea. @ Tirerack (+ shipping)

^ These are what I'm running on my daily driver wheels right now. They are cheap and they get the job done. However, performance should not be in their name. They don't grip well (they squeal on hard turns) and they have soft sidewalls so turns are very sloppy and wobbly. On the upside, they are pretty comfortable for just cruising. Not bad for an A to B tire.

My suggestions for a more aggressive handling tire would be either Nitto NT05 which handles well and has a medium life or the Dunlop Star spec which handles very well but doesn't last long.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Dec 16, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:56 AM

what do you guys think about hankook ventus v12's? for a daily driver?