Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Replacing Brake pads question...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Brake pads question...

So Mitsu tell me that my brakes are in the yellow and i should think about swappin soon...Obviously we all kno changing them is super expensive...But the main reason y is because the rotors r suggested 2b changed as well.

My question is DO YOU HAVE TO change the rotors and pads or just changing the pads b ok?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on the condition of your rotors. How many miles on them?

If they're not warped or glazed over, then it's OK to just swap out the pads. That's what I did, after about 24,000 miles replaced them with a set of Girodisc Magic pads myself. Total price $200. Don't forget to bed in the new pads.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Depends on the condition of your rotors. How many miles on them?

If they're not warped or glazed over, then it's OK to just swap out the pads. That's what I did, after about 24,000 miles replaced them with a set of Girodisc Magic pads myself. Total price $200. Don't forget to bed in the new pads.
I only have about 13k on the clock...i really only drive the car weekends and events...The way i drive i wouldnt think they would b warped or glazed...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you confirmed the pads actually need replacing? 13k miles sounds very early unless you've been doing some track days.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Have you confirmed the pads actually need replacing? 13k miles sounds very early unless you've been doing some track days.
Ive only done a couple drag strip runs...I think in total ive ran my X down the strip no more then 10-12 times during the months of July through August...thats all.Mitsu said there in the yello as oppose to green or red
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maverickvf84

Ive only done a couple drag strip runs...I think in total ive ran my X down the strip no more then 10-12 times during the months of July through August...thats all.Mitsu said there in the yello as oppose to green or red
I agree with Kracka, 13,000 miles sounds early to be replacing pads if you don't track race. Sounds like the Mitsubishi dealership was looking for work.

If your car is mostly daily driven like mine, the changeover to Magic pads was well worth it just for the reduction of brake dust alone.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like they're trying to work you over. Once you start hearing the wear indicators squeal then you can change them.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
I agree with Kracka, 13,000 miles sounds early to be replacing pads if you don't track race. Sounds like the Mitsubishi dealership was looking for work.

If your car is mostly daily driven like mine, the changeover to Magic pads was well worth it just for the reduction of brake dust alone.

Awesome Im glad to hear these are good because I asked for a set for xmas I just hope my rotors are bad. Also how are these performance wise compared to stock?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I tried Magics on my IX and my wife has then on her WRX.

As mom used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:39 AM

13,000 is realy early for pads. i just did mine at 30,000 with about 20 passes at the drag strip. the rotors were ok but i had them turned( i would reccomend doing this if you keep the stock rotors its like 60 dollars at a midas).
i ran the centric pads they work great, feels like the oem setup. these pads in pacticular are coated all the way around so you break them in before they work properly.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

no you don't

My question is DO YOU HAVE TO change the rotors and pads or just changing the pads b ok?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ke-rotors.html
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked X

Also how are these performance wise compared to stock?
On the street, these Magic pads seem to perform the same as stock. Initial bite when cold is actually a little bit better, in the rain or for fade...about the same as the stock pads. I bought these pads to get the most out of my stock rotors before they need replacing...for $200 you can't go wrong. I wouldn't even think about turning the stock rotors, afterwards they will warp in a heartbeat.

I think the trick for these pads is one needs to perform a real good bed in to get the most out of them. At night on the highway in very light traffic, I did about ten 70 to 30 quick slow downs, then drove a good 20 minutes without stopping. Still, it took about 2 weeks of normal driving before the rear pads stopped squeeling. Now the pads are absolutley slient and the car stops straight and true with a panic stop. I still can't believe how dust free they are compared to the stock pads.