Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

holy * spare tire weights 39lbs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy * spare tire weights 39lbs

dang this thing is heavy, pulled my spare out of the trunk and put it on the scale... 39lbs ..

between pulling it, and removing the factory exhaust I gotta be down at least 1 fat girl
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

took mine out long time ago! and a lot of other crap! Should be pretty easy to shed some weight off that bitc% !!

Of course we have different cars, but same concept.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:17 PM

Strip the most you can of it! lol my spare tire is a can of fix of flat! lol
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bpjr07
Strip the most you can of it! lol my spare tire is a can of fix of flat! lol
You and I have run into very different circumstances when needing a spare haha...

Ever single time I've gotten a 'flat' it's looked like my tires been mauled by a bear...

I wish fix-a-flat would work on that!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
only in the US have the EVo spare tire FYI, and i guess you see why
Old Jan 1, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
only in the US have the EVo spare tire FYI, and i guess you see why
hmm, that's interesting.

So, what's everyone put in the space thats left from removing the tire? I was planning on picking up a big piece of hard foam and cutting it to fit in there and cover it back with the board/carpet?? I guess the other option is pull the factory carpet/board and somehow use that space? I'm concerned that it will look bad because it's unfinished.. besides, it's not flat so putting stuff in there might not work well. I was a little concerned about changing the audio quality of the sub by having a metal open pit?

I dunno.. so what did everyone else do?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr1000
hmm, that's interesting.

So, what's everyone put in the space thats left from removing the tire? I was planning on picking up a big piece of hard foam and cutting it to fit in there and cover it back with the board/carpet?? I guess the other option is pull the factory carpet/board and somehow use that space? I'm concerned that it will look bad because it's unfinished.. besides, it's not flat so putting stuff in there might not work well. I was a little concerned about changing the audio quality of the sub by having a metal open pit?

there is flat service kit for the EVo in EU an else. I guess you can use a stronger board to prevent flexing instead the oem. And now you have a double trunk ... LOL
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm, that's interesting.

In my IX, I used the long factory bolt that held the tire in place to prop up the board. I also glued (right above the bolt head) a ~12" x 6" x 0.25" piece of plywood-like material to the bottom of the board to give it more rigidity.

As for audio, having an empty space below the board creates a bass trap. If its effective frequency range is congruent with the resonance point of the car and its associated peak, it can make the low end sound noticeably better, assuming the sub hasn't been chosen to compensate for the factor to begin with. An empty trunk sans the board, enlarged via the space allotted by the spare, is better in every way. Either way, the impact is fairly small due to the size of the space. FWIW, when I had a sub in my trunk, I kept the board.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 2, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

alright, that makes more sense then putting a foam block in there.

I will use the factory (crappy,tiny) board as a template and make a thicker one...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 07:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
alright, that makes more sense then putting a foam block in there.

I will use the factory (crappy,tiny) board as a template and make a thicker one...
With wood, even very thin, weight adds up fast. You may very well be trading a few pounds of saved weight for placement above the car's center of gravity. Not great. If you choose to do this, look for Baltic Birch plywood - very rigid and relatively light - or Trupan, a lighter, stiffer form of MDF. Trupan can also be milled for a superior finish.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 2, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

I left the spot where the spare tire was empty, I removed the jack and tool back, removed the carpet and the thin piece of wood under the carpet that covered it all. I think it looks good as it is.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I removed the spare and all the tools and just three the carpet back inside. Looks decent enough for me.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:47 AM

Lol .... Weight reduction and wow I never knew the spare was that heavy...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

I made a great looking wood filler.. painted it, beveled the edges... then I checked the weight. 15.5 lbs.

Pulled the jack/tools 6 lbs. .. almost 50 lbs total for spare + tools and filler boards

I think it's best (for me) to leave it empty... when I know I will be using the trunk then I will put the filler in.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 05:16 PM

Dang that's heavy for a spare tire. Taking it off, and just leaving it off is probably the way to go. Hope you don't end up having a flat though

Quick Reply: holy * spare tire weights 39lbs