Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Circuit Sports DPS C2 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit Sports DPS C2 Coilover Review

Hey everyone,

Just picked up a set of Circuit Sports DPS C2 coilovers last week and wanted to do a write-up on them. Circuit Sports is a brand more commonly associated with Nissan's such as the 240SX. I have a couple of their camber and toe arms on my S13 drift car and they have held up beautifully despite going through tons of abuse.

Circuit Sports has recently started branching out to other platforms such as the Evo, STi, and even Lexus. I was surprised when Phase 2 Motortrend, the main dealer for Circuit Sports, released on their Facebook page new coilovers for the Evo. I immediately contacted them and asked if they had an application for the Evo X, and they did!

A key point that stands out to me about these coilovers is that they are specifically built and valved for US roads. I was speaking with Wayne from Phase 2 and he said that Circuit Sports spent a considerable amount of time comparing valving with other competitive brands in the market. They found that the other brands simply took what was available to them by oversea manufactures without much R&D invested.

Features / Specs:
• 12 Way dynamic dampening adjustments
• 10/8kgs linear coilover springs
• Comes with solid pillow ball front camber adjustment top hats made from T6 6061 aluminum
• Comes with solid rear top hats made from T6 6061 aluminum
• T6 6061 anodized aluminum adjustment perches
• Coilovers are height adjustable from steel bottom brackets
• Rubber dust boots included
• Adjustable wrenches (2pcs) included
• Coilover comes with 1 year limited manufacturer warranty against defects

Circuit Sports also has DPS C1 version with 8 kg front and 6 kg rear spring rates. The C1 is more for the street and C2 for track use.

Unboxing:

Installation:

Installation went pretty smoothly for the most part. The only problem I had was with positioning the rear bottom mount to thread the long bolt in that holds the coilover and toe arm together. The bushing that CS uses is just a couple millimeters too thick for the stock mount so its kinda tough to move it into position. I have relayed the issue back to Wayne and he said Circuit Sports is looking into it. Installation for the fronts was pretty straightforward. The front coilovers have the stud in the rear of the front struts to mount the brake lines. Build quality is up there, all the collars adjust and rotates smoothly.

Thoughts

On the street:

The R&D that Circuit Sports put in to these coilovers really shows in that even with 10/8 spring rates, the ride is relatively smooth. You can really feel the difference in each step of the 12-way dampening adjustability as opposed to some coilovers in which there is minimal difference between hard and soft lol. If you care about ride quality just click the dampening down and they ride smoothly, better than the bouncy and sometimes jarring stock suspension.

On the track:

I took my car to Streets of Willow last weekend to test these babies out and wow, I am very pleased. I set the dampening to 5 in the front and rear. I like to drive my cars set up more toward the soft / mild side. Even on such a mild setting the front end was very communicative and responsive. The rear end remained planted and I was able to enter the high-speed chicane section with confidence. There is a bump right at the entrance to the chicane and these coilovers negotiated and absorbed it up with no issue.

I was able to lap the track with a time of 1:25.865 and ended up taking 1st place in the Evo-Shootout being hosted by the event organizers and won a free track day . The results speak for themselves, these coilovers definitely work and I am extremely pleased with them.

Thanks for reading my long post and hope this helps anyone looking to purchase these coilovers.

For more info on these please contact Phase 2: http://www.phase2motortrend.com/cispcosy.html
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what was your times before the coilover install? With a baseline you can actually show it's unseen potential. Either way gratz on the trophy, that's one down. Your next one will be a Time-Attack trophy for AWD division.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
what was your times before the coilover install? With a baseline you can actually show it's unseen potential. Either way gratz on the trophy, that's one down. Your next one will be a Time-Attack trophy for AWD division.
He was 5-6 seconds faster with these

I installed the front coils

Last edited by L888Apex; Jan 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

how much do these run $$$$ approx?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I will look more into as soon as they fix that issue that you said you had.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by linjy2
how much do these run $$$$ approx?
I'm gonna take a ballpark guess and say right around $1k-$1,200
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
I'm gonna take a ballpark guess and say right around $1k-$1,200
Well on the website listed. They have them running at around $869 for the evo IX.

I would assume it can't be too far from that? Then again it doesn't list it as the "c-1" or "c-2"
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R Lar
Well on the website listed. They have them running at around $869 for the evo IX.

I would assume it can't be too far from that? Then again it doesn't list it as the "c-1" or "c-2"
Yeah I'm not 100% sure I'm just saying around $1k to be safe
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Phase 2 hasn't updated their website yet but you can contact them for pricing inquiries on them, they respond pretty fast to emails.

Regarding the time I ran previously, I ran a 1:31.997
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:08 PM

same tires??
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WoODStOcK
same tires??
No, hee hee. I was on stock Advans when I ran the previous time. I was on NT01's this time around, so quite a difference. Needless to say these coilovers still performed well. Even with much stickier tires, the car did not exhibit excessive roll, and it was tuneable with the adjustable dampening.

Alignment and height setup also has a great deal to do with the performance of these coilovers and any coilover for that matter, so please have these installed, dialed-in, and aligned properly.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, sent them an email last friday and still no response.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R Lar
Hmm, sent them an email last friday and still no response.
Interesting...I'll help push your request for you. I went to their office yesterday and they were re-arranging the whole place, might be busy doing that. Have you tried calling their number?

Last edited by mangoes; Jan 19, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8 years of evos and still stiffer front springs.... Amazing...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mangoes
Interesting...I'll help push your request for you. I went to their office yesterday and they were re-arranging the whole place, might be busy doing that. Have you tried calling their number?
*update* Wayne just got back from a trip yesterday, so he will be getting back to your emails and questions by the end of the week.

I will try to update this thread as I put some more miles on these coilovers as well.

Quick Reply: Circuit Sports DPS C2 Coilover Review