Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nuts to you! - a quick review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nuts to you! - a quick review

I've been experimenting a bit with some different lug nuts for the race car as I wanted a nut that would be light, hold up well to quick changes and is finished nicely and consistently. I'm swapping wheels constantly at the track, multiple times in a day, and so expect to tear up aluminum nuts over time. I had tried some others and had problems with marring and finish inconsistency so they would sometimes get locked inside the socket. As importantly, I want them to be reasonably inexpensive so it didn't hurt too much to replace them, if I needed to, during the season.

I found these from Yonaka in our size on their website, but they are available all over the internet:

These Yonaka nuts weigh nothing and, for my use, have held up easily as well as MUCH more expensive nuts. I was worried the metal might be softer or the fit wouldn't be as consistent, given their lower price but I was wrong. They use a 19mm socket and the fit is tight and the manufacturing is very consistent from lug to lug. The shank is long and so these work great with normal or long track studs. (there are so many opportunities for inappropriate jokes in here I almost don't know what to do with myself ).

I use both a torque wrench and then a drill to get them off and on fast which seems to be the right combination. You can't/ shouldn't use a impact drill with aluminum nuts, they can get torn up and stuck inside the socket - this will make you very sad when you are at the track (ask me how I know). I did also buy, a while back, a thread chaser in M12 x 1.5, which I highly recommend as it's a good tool to have if you ever cross a thread.

The Yonaka nuts are finished very well and, while they don't come in yellow, red or blue, look pretty nice in Black and Silver (I think they have gold too). Ultimately, they fit the bill perfectly - they are light, finished well, hold up and are inexpensive. I can get part way through a season, mess a couple up and get a fresh set without mortgaging the house. I don't see too many discussions on different lug nuts but if you are looking for a fresh set for the upcoming season, check these out. Let me know what you think.

I'm running them again this season (2011). Here's a shot of a set on the car.

Last edited by Johnr352; Jan 15, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm in need of some new nuts.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ran these before, and after switching wheels at least 2 times each weekend for about a year (autocross season, drove to the track with one set, swapped wheels, and then swapped again before drive back), one of them finally stripped out. For their cost, I would say they lasted a very good amount of time.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Agreed. When I was running stock studs I had more trouble as the nuts (any kind) are harder to get started. Track studs helped as did the thread chaser. It cleans them up nicely if I get started a little off and increases their longevity considerably.