Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake squel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake squel

Hello,
Im a new member here...I just got a 2010 Evo X SST in Bangladesh. It had done 4300 km's when I purchase it a week ago. Surprisingly however, it makes a squealing noise when I push the brakes slowly. Not sure if the noise is there when I brake at high speeds but for a car thats done only 4300 km's I'm surprised that it makes such a noise. Can any of you help me with my problem. Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

this is pretty common with brembo's or any bbk, but id go ahead and just check the pads anyway, it shouldnt take more than an hour..and if they are fine just put anti squak on the contact points and the squeals should dissappear
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that may just be the nature of the pad. along with what was said above. Stop Techs have a pretty good noise level. But look into your OEM pads and see if they look on when you inspect them. Then consider making a switch/upgrade to your braking system if it continues to be an issue
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just give them a good power washing to get all the built up brake dust out of there. My squeak is non existent as long as I keep the dust cleaned out of the caliper area. When it builds up, the squeak comes back. The stock pads should be like brand new with that few miles, so I highly doubt that is the issue.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks a lot for all your feedback...Will look into the matter soon but I also doubt that anything is wrong with the pads specially considering the fact that there isn't any track here & with the amount of traffic we hardly get a chance to pull like crazy so the pads shouldn't be worn out so soon.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:38 AM

Yep, my 08 X was squealing so badly I thought I needed new brake pads, but they are just noisy.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:49 AM

Mine was squealing so badly I GOT new brake pads. They squeal even more, but usually only when it's cold out. What's the temp there?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Mine squeel as well, I had a chance to look at them while putting my suspension on, they look brand new.. They are just noisy.. Best way to handle it, just mash the brakes one good time, instead of gradually coming to a stop at a light, just slam the brakes down one good time. Usually solves my problem.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:29 PM

brake squeling

My car had 3000 miles on it when it started squealing, when I said it squeals its obnoxiously loud. The dealer replaced it, now it has 11000 miles and its squealing again. There's definitely a defect, I'm gonna take it in again for them to fix, if it does not get resolved. I will take it further if I have to
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

bringing mine in 2010 se with 3300 miles on it sounds like my moms 15 yr old piece of crap when i stop, and i dont care what you guys sayclean them alot really, replace pads really i payed 35 grand for this car and freaking brembo brakes squeaking really f that they better get rid of it
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by seanr8368
bringing mine in 2010 se with 3300 miles on it sounds like my moms 15 yr old piece of crap when i stop, and i dont care what you guys sayclean them alot really, replace pads really i payed 35 grand for this car and freaking brembo brakes squeaking really f that they better get rid of it
Dont think you bought the right car man. Performance brakes make noise... My coworker's porsche brakes squeek and i've had 350z's come squeeling up next to me at stop lights. It happens
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

well ok

well then how come my 4000 dollar tv doesnt have problems, or my 3500 mountain bike, when i shell out good cash i do it for a reason i want good stuff, so i guess ill ask some discount joe place to throw 50 dollar brake shoes on and then i wont squeak, you really dont care that your brakes squell like a ***** when you stop? and you just live with it? whatever to each his own, im not going argue the point, thanks for help
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by seanr8368
well then how come my 4000 dollar tv doesnt have problems, or my 3500 mountain bike, when i shell out good cash i do it for a reason i want good stuff, so i guess ill ask some discount joe place to throw 50 dollar brake shoes on and then i wont squeak, you really dont care that your brakes squell like a ***** when you stop? and you just live with it? whatever to each his own, im not going argue the point, thanks for help
Of course I care, and would rather they not.. but it's a trade-off I made to be able to stop from 60-0 in 100 ft rather then say a g37 who would probably do the same in double that.. but I bet the brakes dont squeel. I think you feel like price automatically dictates quality, when that 35k or so you spent on an evo went into other more important things, like wind tunnel testing and suspension testing to put out a factory car that will pull a full g on the skidpad for half the cost of other cars that will accomplish that. Brembo brakes are track tested and approved, so if they make a little noise, I'm ok with it.

The way I deal with it, if it starts to squeel while your easing on the brakes coming to a stop light/sign, just slam them one good time to heat them up. No more squeel after that.

Last edited by BoostedSlvrGSR; Feb 16, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:49 AM

agreed my brakes make noise too but one good stop will keep it from doing it.. i also believe the cold temp and brake dust causes this issue,, have you seen how dirty your wheels get from these brakes..? ive never had a prob with my rear wheel getting dirty in less than a week of washing my car.. sean -- you need to buy a wrx awd turbo and cheap a$$ breaks that wont squell haha i know bc i had one.. evo has a lot and i mean a lot of road noise but its a drivers car not a weekend cruiser,, i love it and wouldn't trade
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Stock pads are loud. Any performance pad is loud. I know the man on the TV says noisy brakes mean its time for new pads, but that's not how it works with performance cars/brakes. The material used in performance brake pads is loud and dusty by nature.

I've tried explaining this to other people when they say something about my brakes but they don't get it.

Quick Reply: Brake squel