Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Tires for RPF1 18x9.5 +15 / Swift Spec R

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires for RPF1 18x9.5 +15 / Swift Spec R

First a little background. I currently have the original Swift springs and with Nitto NT05 245/40. The tires are a little streached but I get even wear and no rubbing with a -2 front -1 rear alignment. I'm installing the Spec R Swifts this weekend and need a new set of tires.

Two items I'd like feedback on.

1.) Tire choice: I'm considering going with the Nitto NT555's for the better tread they provide. I was surprised the NT05's did as well in the wet as they did but you had to worry about hydroplaning in heavier rain. The NT555's would solve this but I don't want to lose too much in the way of grip on dry pavement. Anyone with experience on both these tires for spirited driving occasional autoX and maybe a track day? I really like the stiff sidewalls of the NT05 and am worried the NT555 will be much softer therefore sacrificing turn in and lead to uneven tire wear like the OEM Yokahamas.

2.) Tire size: I can't decide whether to stay with the 245/40 or move to a 265/35. How much of a rubbing issue will I have with 18x9.5 +15 RPF1's on 265's? Neither of my tire choices are big sholdered like the Dunlop Direzza DZ101.

Please only respond if you have personal or direct experience with these rims and tires. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by MonacoGP; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

You will lose some traction in the dry and overall grip going to the Nitto 555 over the NT05's that's for sure. You will get longer tire life however with the 300 tread wear obviously.

The Nitto's run narrower then several other tires including the Dunlops and if you want a stock overall diameter roughly the 275/35-18 would be the size you'd want. I wouldn't go back to a stretched tire with a 245 again on a 9.5" rim that is pointless and you're sacraficing more potential grip considering that wheel is meant for a wider tire.

I wouldn't think you'd have any rubbing issue with the 265 if you went that route or a 275/35 in the nitto's on the spec r springs. I've got those on my car and it's not a huge drop. FWIW I'm about to run a 275/35 on mine in that same wheel but with the SBC finish. Roll the rear fenders and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Great. That's exactly the info I was looking for. How much drop are you running? The R-specs drop 1.25 fron and 1 in the rear. What tires are you running? Do you think I can get away without rolling the fenders on 265's v. the 275's you're running? I wanted the SBC's but they're out of stock until late May.

How significant is the difference in grip and sidewall flex between the NT05 and NT555. I know that's a subjective answer but I quess I'm just wanting to know the NT555 isn't total slop in comparison.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
my sister has 245/45/18 starspecs on her sti, live in seattle, i've only had issues with hydroplaining in the heaviest of rains. obviously if you move up to a 265 it'll get worse. according to tirerack tests, the b-stone re-11 is a little better in all conditions than the starspecs, and in the 265 size is a wash price wise. so if you go up to 265, i'd recommend the re-11. the 245, the star spec is 3-400 cheaper for a set of 4

as far as teh NT555, that tire model has been for sale since the early 90's, tire technology has made leaps and bounds since then. if you want something that will be good in the rain without my sacrifice in dry performance, the nt555 is not the answer. some of my suggestions would be

bstone RE050A (NOT RE050, make sure the "A" is there at the end)
conti extremecontactDW
conti contactsport3 <-- roughly the same as above but more $$$
michelin ps2
pirelli pzero
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^
What he said. The NT555 are ancient tires. I ran them almost a decade ago and they were so-so then but really outdated now.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MonacoGP
Great. That's exactly the info I was looking for. How much drop are you running? The R-specs drop 1.25 fron and 1 in the rear. What tires are you running? Do you think I can get away without rolling the fenders on 265's v. the 275's you're running? I wanted the SBC's but they're out of stock until late May.

How significant is the difference in grip and sidewall flex between the NT05 and NT555. I know that's a subjective answer but I quess I'm just wanting to know the NT555 isn't total slop in comparison.
You'd still gain more grip going to the NT555 in a 265 or 275 compared to your current 245's I'm sure simply because of the extra width you'd gain a lot more grip changing to a better tire thats more of a pure performance tire. The 200 tread wear rating on the Dunlop or NT05 grips quite a bit harder than the 300 tread wear on the NT555. I'd also imagine that the sidewell flex will be noticeably higher on the NT555 but can't say for sure since I've never run that tire.

I haven't actually measured the exact drop I gained from the Swift Spec-R I just know that they are not as low as the Eibachs, it's about a half finger to one finger width less drop if that means anything to you. I'm on the stockers at the moment still but my new wheels/tires will be here at the beginning of March. You could probably get away with not rolling the fenders on the 265 in a Nitto but in a Dunlop I'd say most likely not, and even with the Nitto that would be with no rear seat passengers. It is just best to roll the fenders if you're going 265+ considering the offset of those wheels being the +15.

Advan AD08 would be good options as well but are $$$

Last edited by SilverEvoX; Feb 18, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I would definitely go with some 265's. You will almost definitely have to roll the rear fenders a little bit but if you go with 265's you will love it.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
You'd still gain more grip going to the NT555 in a 265 or 275 compared to your current 245's I'm sure simply because of the extra width you'd gain a lot more grip changing to a better tire thats more of a pure performance tire. The 200 tread wear rating on the Dunlop or NT05 grips quite a bit harder than the 300 tread wear on the NT555. I'd also imagine that the sidewell flex will be noticeably higher on the NT555 but can't say for sure since I've never run that tire.

I haven't actually measured the exact drop I gained from the Swift Spec-R I just know that they are not as low as the Eibachs, it's about a half finger to one finger width less drop if that means anything to you. I'm on the stockers at the moment still but my new wheels/tires will be here at the beginning of March. You could probably get away with not rolling the fenders on the 265 in a Nitto but in a Dunlop I'd say most likely not, and even with the Nitto that would be with no rear seat passengers. It is just best to roll the fenders if you're going 265+ considering the offset of those wheels being the +15.

Advan AD08 would be good options as well but are $$$
that could be true with some of the tires I listed a couple posts up, but not between the NT05 and the NT555. I'm willing to put money on faster laptimes with a 245 NT04 vs 265 or 275 NT555
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:18 PM

Get the Dunlop Star Spec, its the best all around tire. If you are considering more tread life and good rain tire go with Hankook V12 in 275-35-18. They run a little thinner then the avg 275 so it should work good.

Originally Posted by MonacoGP
First a little background. I currently have the original Swift springs and with Nitto NT05 245/40. The tires are a little streached but I get even wear and no rubbing with a -2 front -1 rear alignment. I'm installing the Spec R Swifts this weekend and need a new set of tires.

Two items I'd like feedback on.

1.) Tire choice: I'm considering going with the Nitto NT555's for the better tread they provide. I was surprised the NT05's did as well in the wet as they did but you had to worry about hydroplaning in heavier rain. The NT555's would solve this but I don't want to lose too much in the way of grip on dry pavement. Anyone with experience on both these tires for spirited driving occasional autoX and maybe a track day? I really like the stiff sidewalls of the NT05 and am worried the NT555 will be much softer therefore sacrificing turn in and lead to uneven tire wear like the OEM Yokahamas.

2.) Tire size: I can't decide whether to stay with the 245/40 or move to a 265/35. How much of a rubbing issue will I have with 18x9.5 +15 RPF1's on 265's? Neither of my tire choices are big sholdered like the Dunlop Direzza DZ101.

Please only respond if you have personal or direct experience with these rims and tires. Thank you in advance.