Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Slow Tire Pressure Leak - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Slow Tire Pressure Leak - Help!

So my low tire pressure light came on yesterday. I did a walk around and all of the tires seemed to look alright, but my gauge revealed my right rear tire had dropped to ~20psi (i keep my tires inflated to 37psi). I refilled it and checked it again this morning -- dropped 3-4psi overnight.

I need to inspect the tire after work today to check for obvious debri / nails, but my guess would be a leaky valve stem. I will verify with soapy water.

I was wondering if anyone had any other advice? Is it easy to replace a valve stem myself or should I just take it into a shop? Are they any considerations I need to keep in mind regarding the TPMS? I have no idea how that system works....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some companies sell TPMS rebuild kits. It replaces the gaskets connected to the valve stem and sensor.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:48 AM

Is this something that I will need to do if I have to replace a valve stem?

Another consideration: my tires are pretty much worn, but I was hoping to keep using them for another month or so. Could I just not have the TPMS for that tire until I get new tires in another month or so?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you run without sensors, you'll get an (..!..) light on your dash.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:28 AM

I have a similar situation.. been thinking about using those tire flat liquid that goes into your tire and supposely it seals off any small leaks from the inside.. it also says that it is TPMS safe... i've used on other cars and they seem to hold up fine..
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 5speedx
I have a similar situation.. been thinking about using those tire flat liquid that goes into your tire and supposely it seals off any small leaks from the inside.. it also says that it is TPMS safe... i've used on other cars and they seem to hold up fine..

I debated this also. I heard from someone though that they tend to throw the tire out of balance since there's all that liquid built up inside. Also, this would only work if it's a puncture in the tire and not a leaky valve stem, right?
Old May 18, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Reviving this thread...my rear passenger side tire is giving me some trouble in this recent wet/humid and cooler weather. I keep all tires at 36 psi and this one has dropped for 2 consecutive days from 38psi when I fill it down to 16-21psi in 24 hours. The car is only driven a mile or so in the 24 hour period so I guess sitting doesn't help.

I want to retain the TPMS sensors but am wondering if those could be leaking if no puncture is found.... Also, with only 2750 miles on the car and a patch/plug in the other rear tire, would replacing just 2 tires in this case be a bad move?