Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Trackday & Autocross setups

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trackday & Autocross setups

First off I want to say wow. In completely stock form, the Evo X is an autocross beast. I took a 6th in pax time... beating out like 50 other drivers completely stock and I haven't autocrossed since 2006.

Now, I have been doing some exploring, and not really finding my questions answered, so I have created this thread to help me answer some questions about how to properly setup a daily driver Evo X that can handle regular autocrossing and occasional track days.

The target horsepower will be around 320-340hp (just bolt-ons)

Rims:
I see alot of guys running 18x10.5 rims +15-20 offset. I also see alot of guys running on a 9.5 inch wheel. Is the 10.5 really necessary for autocross/track usage? Is there a particular offset I need to look for?!

Tires:
I see a 275/30/18 tire is fairly popular. But in autocross sometimes too much tire can hurt you depending on your hp/suspension. Do you guys recommend a particular tire size/compound with my target hp in mind?

Suspension:
In the past I have been autocrossing Civics and Miatas, I have always used Koni/Ground control setups that work extremely well. We were running 350lb springs front and 450lb springs rear on the 99 Civic Coupe and the Miata got 450 front 550 rear (it was retarded stiff!!). Both cars were very quick autocrossing, and very quick track day cars. Any suggestions on either a killer shock/spring combo or some really competitive coilovers? Target spring rates and dampening? Are there a set of sway bars that shine above the rest?Keep in mind I am driving this car every day and will be making trips here and there, so I am not looking for a setup that will rattle my brains down the interstate. Competitive suspension with a comfortable ride... tall order I know!

I understand the track is different than Autocrossing setup wise, but in the past, my reasonably well setup autocross cars did extremely well at the track.

Thanks for you input!

(btw... posted this on EvoXforums as well)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by teethandnails
Now, I have been doing some exploring, and not really finding my questions answered, so I have created this thread to help me answer some questions about how to properly setup a daily driver Evo X that can handle regular autocrossing and occasional track days.
I guess, one thing is missing from your title here that has high importance to the selection of your setup and that is daily driving duties.
The target horsepower will be around 320-340hp (just bolt-ons)
Just with a simple re-flash of your ECU, you will have that kind of HP at the flywheel. If you are talking wheel HP, then with standard bolt on-s, you will have no issue making that at the wheels too.
Rims:
I see alot of guys running 18x10.5 rims +15-20 offset. I also see alot of guys running on a 9.5 inch wheel. Is the 10.5 really necessary for autocross/track usage? Is there a particular offset I need to look for?!
Rim selection has nothing much to do with the car and setup, but with the tire size that you chose. Different tires require different size rims. Like same size Hoosiers like wider rims compared to the same size Kumhos.
So, select what tire you want to run on your car and select appropriate size for your rims to hold them!
Tires:
I see a 275/30/18 tire is fairly popular. But in autocross sometimes too much tire can hurt you depending on your hp/suspension. Do you guys recommend a particular tire size/compound with my target hp in mind?
This is a first time that I have heard that there is such a thing as too much tire for autoX (except when things make your car way too wide or temps are too low for you to bring them up to the working levels). If you want the best results from your autoX (most likely RR too) you need to get as bit tires as you can get for your car.
Now, on thing that you have to do with the tire is measure its temperatures right after the run. That will tell you what kind of heat you are generating and how well your tires work with the surface. In the case of Evo X, which is quite heavy, I don't think you could find tire size that you can't bring enough heat in on regular day.
So, the last thing here depends on how serious you are with your racing! If you are going to be local competitor without any national level events, your setup doesn't have to be as aggressive as in the case when you are planing to be at Nationals every year!
So, figure out what you want to do and use that to tell you what kind of setup you need.
Suspension:
In the past I have been autocrossing Civics and Miatas, I have always used Koni/Ground control setups that work extremely well. We were running 350lb springs front and 450lb springs rear on the 99 Civic Coupe and the Miata got 450 front 550 rear (it was retarded stiff!!). Both cars were very quick autocrossing, and very quick track day cars. Any suggestions on either a killer shock/spring combo or some really competitive coilovers? Target spring rates and dampening? Are there a set of sway bars that shine above the rest?Keep in mind I am driving this car every day and will be making trips here and there, so I am not looking for a setup that will rattle my brains down the interstate. Competitive suspension with a comfortable ride... tall order I know!
This is another thing that really depends on person who is going to drive the car every day and race it on weekends at various events. Some of us are more pampered then the others and like to have things more comfortable. Some others look at things with less worries about how much is going to cost particular setup. Depending on all of those you have to figure out what is the right thing for you. I know, that I would not waste any time not money on lesser setups, but that doesn't mean that you should have the same approach. If you are even remotely serious about the racing and results, then I would recommend to go with something that will be useful for the long time. That means that I would get something with external reservoir which will give you more adjustment for the settings that you could utilize for all three conditions that you need them for. But, that is just me.
I understand the track is different than Autocrossing setup wise, but in the past, my reasonably well setup autocross cars did extremely well at the track.
The main difference between those two is that autoX setup has to be more loose compared to the track, mainly due to lower speeds that autoX is using and more steering actions due to larger amount of corrections needed for the same amount of time. So, if you have a setup that has few extra settings that would give you a bit more of rebound typically needed for more grippy autoX, you would be all set!

Good luck!

Fedja
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This read might help you.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...b-one-lap.html
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Also, if you want to be competitive, look at the class rules before moddifing you car. The tire size and type may effect what class your in.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Also, if you want to be competitive, look at the class rules before moddifing you car. The tire size and type may effect what class your in.
I was just gonna suggest this. With your mods you may already have put yourself against some hardcore track setups, it might be easier to take some stuff off and compete on a stock level.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:38 PM

I am currently in B Stock... Autocross isn't my end all be all, so I will def be doing bolt on power mods which will have me in B Street Prepared soon enough.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:39 PM

Btw... thank you guys for the advice!