Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Car dives left on decel, right on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car dives left on decel, right on acceleration

Guys,

I'm trying to get Dr Paul Seto's 2008 Evo X MR dialed in perfect and after a great weekend at Summit Point flying around the track, the car shifting around needs to get figured out. On the track you are counter steering so many things and setting the car up for turns that it doesn't really effect anything on the track. That said it is annoying on the street when the car tracks dead straight and then you let off the gas or hit the brakes and the whole car seems to turn to the left slightly.

Is this an MR thing?

I've had the local Mitsu dealer look, as well as the Firestone alignment shop and nobody can figure out what is going on. Firestone claimed that a lose lower control arm bolt up front was causing the shift but after a half hour drive it seemed to be back. Everything seems fine down below with no loose suspension components. It does have Whiteline front lower control arm bushings and I have a spare set ready to swap in as a test.

When tracking the car it did feel like something was clunking at times when shifting the weight of the car laterally, possibly a ball joint or tie rod end? With nothing obvious it's really hard to diagnose.

I'm just wondering what could cause such a shift in the car when everything seems to have zero play in it. Steering is dead on and you can toss the car around with it being very stable. You can see me here at the track just thrashing the car in the tighter corners, I'm a bit more conservative in the higher speed turns because, well, it's not my car! Considering I was one of the few on street tires I kept a decent pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnSzqRgWbL0
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked the wheel bearings?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is zero play in all the wheel bearings but the driver front seems noisier. I may replace the fronts if nothing else turns up. You would think it would be more obvious if it caused the car to shift around like it does.