Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pad Measurement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Pad Measurement

Hey guys,

When switching to my summer wheels/tires, I measured my brake pads, as I usually do. However, they're starting to get worn to the point where how you measure matters, so I wanted to check to make sure I'm doing it right. The factory service manual basically says to just "look in the hole" and ensure there's more than 2mm there.

I had trouble getting my head in the wheel well, so I used my tire depth gauge to measure from the rotor (which the brakes were contacting), to the metal wear indicator. I have 5mm up front, but only 2mm in the back. It looks like there may be another 2mm beyond the wear indicator.

Is it time to swap these things out? Any suggestions on replacements? I had looked at the Ferodo 2500s in the past. I'm 90% street, but I do hit a HPDE at least once or twice per season. Of course, I'm not very good so the brakes don't take as much punishment as they otherwise might. I've had it on the track three times, and have 24k street miles, on my stock pads over the past 3 years.

Thanks for the help!