Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best bang for buck Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
I was just asked in a PM why the average of the two points at the left side of the plots isn't at zero force. (PMs are cool, but I'll answer in public so I don't have to type anything twice. Unless you ask a question I can't answer, of course; that I'll keep secret. )

Anyhoo, the reason the average is above zero is because this is a high-pressure shock. The pressure inside (which is used to avoid cavitation in the oil at high piston speeds) tries to force the shaft out of the shock, meaning that these shocks have a noticeable amount of anti-compression force when sitting still. This is why, for example, if you replace a set of dead and/or low-pressure shocks with new high-pressure shocks, your car will gain a little in height.
Yes, it's sort of like preload. I wonder how much gas pressure these are running, and I wonder how much this hystersis is due to the seals. They probably run higher pressure to control hystersis at higher piston velocities with the crappy fluid they run then.

The Koni Yellow has very little hysteris at 0 in/sec, but it also runs little to no gas pressure depending on the model.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
My Koni Yellows are infinitely adjustable (no clicks)....does that mean they are infinitely better than anything else out there?
Nope. They're just better because they're Konis.

The Koni Yellow has very little hysteris at 0 in/sec, but it also runs little to no gas pressure depending on the model.
Yeppers. That little yellow shock is a low-pressure twin-tube. For autocrossing, where the one negative of a twin-tube - the inability to dump heat efficiently - isn't really a problem, they rock. Add in the foot-valve set-up so you have true rebound-only adjustment and they doubly rock.

ps. in case it's not obvious, I like Koni Yellows
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im on swift springs sport and i did track about 8 times last year, the car handle very very well with sway bar and good alignment! but my shock is getting alot alot of noise now so i just ordered a set of AST 4100 from GTWORX, I can't wait to go to the track and test them out!
but trust me, springs is good enough for track!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Nope. They're just better because they're Konis.

Yeppers. That little yellow shock is a low-pressure twin-tube. For autocrossing, where the one negative of a twin-tube - the inability to dump heat efficiently - isn't really a problem, they rock. Add in the foot-valve set-up so you have true rebound-only adjustment and they doubly rock.

ps. in case it's not obvious, I like Koni Yellows
I like mine too. I'm sort of a Bilstein person but went with a deal on Yellows this time and I'm impressed.

- Andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
link to BC dynos:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...ve-review.html
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

That helps (a lot) to explain why Sean and Chris had these on their One Lap car. When I first read that they ran BCs, I was surprised, given BC's entry-level stuff. BC's ext-res shocks are clearly quite good.

Things to note: no hysteresis at all and out-of-the-box matching left-to-right (something that even Koni needs to work on a little). The post claims complete separation between rebound and compression adjustments, although no plots to back this up are there (that I could see), as they seemed to always adjust both at once and then do another run.

Oh, the plots are inverted from those posted in this thread. Now rebound is up.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by warmmilk

I'll just say I disagree with some of the conclusions in that thread, but the plots are neat to look at.

- Andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
^ my thoughts exactly. and based on the fact that it has the same damper front and rear, I'm betting they're using the exact same dampers for the evo
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

That helps (a lot) to explain why Sean and Chris had these on their One Lap car. When I first read that they ran BCs, I was surprised, given BC's entry-level stuff. BC's ext-res shocks are clearly quite good.

Things to note: no hysteresis at all and out-of-the-box matching left-to-right (something that even Koni needs to work on a little). The post claims complete separation between rebound and compression adjustments, although no plots to back this up are there (that I could see), as they seemed to always adjust both at once and then do another run.

Oh, the plots are inverted from those posted in this thread. Now rebound is up.
Still very little travel, so you better be running very high rates. And with the rebound so progressive, turned up to control the spring it's going to be very harsh over bumps. They may work for a smooth circuit but I think they would be a serious compromise for everything else.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jun 6, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Did you notice that the owner sets the front's compression to full stiff for the street?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

And with the rebound so digressive, turned up to control the spring it's going to be very harsh over bumps. They may work for a smooth circuit but I think they would be a serious compromise for everything else.
Well, I, for one, like a big "nose" on rebound, especially in the front. Gets the weight across quickly without jacking the car down in a slalom. But, then again, I only autocross and I'm neither smooth nor good at setting the car up in advance, so I need these things as a band-aid for the nut behind the wheel.

I agree that, on rougher surfaces, that's a lot of rebound for, what?, 8k springs. On the washboard, gravel road near my house (that the Army Corp of Engineers refuses to fix), that would be murder.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually the main advantage I see of the 2 way BC's is that the compression curve when adjusted up isn't completely pathetically soft like almost all coilovers from Asia.

It's still not a whole heck of a lot of compression though. I think he was doing his best to avoid the rock hard BC bumpstops.

- Andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I, for one, like a big "nose" on rebound, especially in the front. Gets the weight across quickly without jacking the car down in a slalom. But, then again, I only autocross and I'm neither smooth nor good at setting the car up in advance, so I need these things as a band-aid for the nut behind the wheel.

I agree that, on rougher surfaces, that's a lot of rebound for, what?, 8k springs. On the washboard, gravel road near my house (that the Army Corp of Engineers refuses to fix), that would be murder.
Sorry! I meant progressive not digressive. Those are clearly not digressive until jacked way up at which point it doesn't even matter.

I like digressive shocks too.

- andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I think he was doing his best to avoid the rock hard BC bumpstops.
Can't they shorten the body, given that it's got an ext res?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Actually the main advantage I see of the 2 way BC's is that the compression curve when adjusted up isn't completely pathetically soft like almost all coilovers from Asia.
Please say more on this, if you will. My impression of Asian shocks is that they often have too much compression for high-rate springs, as opposed to too little. (I'm from the school of thought that, as spring rates go up, the ratio of rebound to compression must go up, too.)

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck Coilovers