Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best bang for buck Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Can't they shorten the body, given that it's got an ext res?
They just have so little stroke. I don't understand why they don't fix this.

Please say more on this, if you will. My impression of Asian shocks is that they often have too much compression for high-rate springs, as opposed to too little. (I'm from the school of thought that, as spring rates go up, the ratio of rebound to compression must go up, too.)
We used to share shop space and still work with JRZ quite a bit. We learnd a lot from them along the way and more low speed bump than usual was one of the big things. Their idea is to control the unsprung weight as much as possible and provide more "platform" than others. High speed bump is not too aggressive and the ride is actually pretty compliant over the rough stuff.

I would defer to Bryan @ JRZ for a more specific answer. He is the man when it comes to shocks. The owner of JRZ has a book that I haven't yet read that also has some good details according to some of my nerdy friends.

- Andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll look for the book (if I don't already have it somewhere), but I'm thinking we're already on similar pages, as it were. I should have been more specific. What I keep seeing in Asian shocks is way too much high-speed compression in particular. (I guess they never get frost-heaves over there.) The compression curve is often linear, instead of digressive, so they become absolutely brutal when combined with high-rate springs. But you have to leave them cranked up to have any sort of turn-in.

I really like lots of low-speed damping on both sides. I like the nose of the car to flatly wiggle side-to-side when I make little inputs.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll look for the book (if I don't already have it somewhere), but I'm thinking we're already on similar pages, as it were. I should have been more specific. What I keep seeing in Asian shocks is way too much high-speed compression in particular. (I guess they never get frost-heaves over there.) The compression curve is often linear, instead of digressive, so they become absolutely brutal when combined with high-rate springs. But you have to leave them cranked up to have any sort of turn-in.

I really like lots of low-speed damping on both sides. I like the nose of the car to flatly wiggle side-to-side when I make little inputs.
Ah yes, same page then and I agree with you.

JRZ's compression curves are like table-tops.

- andrew
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

And given the rave reviews I've seen of the Ohlins, especially with regard to street comfort, I'll bet they are flat-topped on both sides, too ... not that Ohlin seems to like posting plots. That was the only real problem with my revalved Koni Yellows and 900# fronts on my old DSM ... the drive home.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hhhmmmmmm well i decided to just order H&R springs cause i think thatll be fine for now, maybe in the future when i do some other mods ill get some coilovers, by then ill be able to get a really good set and not worry about the price.

I looked at all the different springs and H&R's seemed to be some of the best for the price and a good drop, I wanted progress springs but it seems that the manufacture's pics of the drop are lower then people who actually have them, i know swifts are good but i wanted a bigger drop, as for eibachs, I had them on my ralliart and i loved them but most people who have them on their X complain about them
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelUWright
hhhmmmmmm well i decided to just order H&R springs cause i think thatll be fine for now, maybe in the future when i do some other mods ill get some coilovers, by then ill be able to get a really good set and not worry about the price.

I looked at all the different springs and H&R's seemed to be some of the best for the price and a good drop, I wanted progress springs but it seems that the manufacture's pics of the drop are lower then people who actually have them, i know swifts are good but i wanted a bigger drop, as for eibachs, I had them on my ralliart and i loved them but most people who have them on their X complain about them
that was my exact line of thought too. You will be very happy with the h&r springs. Maybe in a year or two I can get some ohlins, but my springs are good for now..
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Andrew, have you had experience with Zeal coilovers? specifically the Xs... if you have, what are your thoughts on them?

or anybody else that has more to say about them than "it had less bodyroll"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by warmmilk
Andrew, have you had experience with Zeal coilovers? specifically the Xs... if you have, what are your thoughts on them?

or anybody else that has more to say about them than "it had less bodyroll"
7 years ago when Myles brought me on as a wee little intern at RCE (before GTWORX existed) we sold a lot of Zeal. Then we didn't. I didn't know much about coilovers back then but my understanding is we've come a long way since then and began to understand what made the european stuff better (in our opinion).

EDIT: I don't know if that answers your question very well. Myles could tell you more. I don't think they were much better than Tein and the decent quality JDM stuff back then.

- drew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jun 6, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

so its not any better than the other offerings from japan? cause everyone that has zeals (haven't found anyone with them on an EvoX) seams to have some superiority complex that zeals are better than the rest of the japanese offerings... Just wondering if they really are any better...

price wise the zeal xs would be inline with robispec kw's or ast 4100's, except that top mounts are standard on the zeals...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
Former Sponsor

That was sort of the thinking back then too but I don't think there's much good stuff coming from Japan anyway so it doesn't exactly mean much to me. I'd like to see some data, but I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

- Andrew
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't say anything about body roll, but Zeal does claim that their (probably off-the-shelf-and-then-painted) 2.5" ID coils are not just linear (like everyone else's 2.5" ID OTS coils), but they are "strictly linear" due to something called "X-coil" technology. That's gotten be worth something extra, no?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

maybe, maybe not, but i'm more concerned about damper quality. I want something that handles good and has good ride quality, and i'm not willing to compromise... ride quality of GTWorx springs with GSR dampers or better.

from the reviews I read, people say that zeals ride good as well, but i've heard that about lots of other coilovers that I know for a fact don't ride good...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelUWright
I wanna get some coilovers for my X but I dont really have a lot of money to spend on them, I could get springs but I want performance too not just looks, so what are some cheap coilovers that are good for the money
While I am late to this thread. My vote will before HSD. $1300 and getting a kit known for durability as its strongest suit. Jeff Pippy has been competing in our a few Canadian Time Attack Series events and has already set new lap time records including a few hall of fame lap times.

After watching where he has come from and where he is going is pretty refreshing. HSD coilovers is the coilover of choice for our local evo guys. so if you want to get an idea of what the feedback is like post in our Toronto Lancer Club or Canadian regional section.

For the money you cant go wrong. my two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Xv1...el_video_title
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

^I'll quote Dennis Grant of Far North Racing:

"some people are fast despite their setup, not because of"

*quote may not be word for word

disclaimer:
Not saying HSD coilovers suck, just saying its not necessarily the coilovers responsible for his laptimes, and chances are he'd go even faster with a nicer set of coils... but what do I know, I just have springs on stock dampers

btw, which class does he run in?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

HSDs look like Apexi N1s, but in green. But what do I know?

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck Coilovers