Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best bang for buck Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by metagalaxxy22
i know what i have to say may cause a riot but tokicos are better than bilstein imo
just to make sure, you're not serious, are you?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HSDs are Korean, not Taiwanese.

I can't find any real information on the shocks anywhere, but did notice many cases of amazing convergent development, such as mounts that are just about identical to those made for Apex'i and external reservoirs that look just like Penskes, right down the placement and shape of the adjusters. It's amazing how often that happens with Korean stuff. But coincidences do happen (again and again and again and again).

Unrelatedly, of course, do you think that companies that have no R&D budget can sell stuff for less?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
From what I've saw, HSD makes Stance Coilovers? I was interested in the LX+ series because I would.mainly want something for the street and need a very streetable coil..
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metagalaxxy22
i know what i have to say may cause a riot but tokicos are better than bilstein imo
I know it's only your opinion but, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Looks like 32-click, common insert, pick-your-color specials.
too much concentration on the clicking numbers... seems like the US market cant get away from:" more number is a better ideology "...

Seems to me, you only need to do for a good sell, sooner or later we will ending up the who can click more competition, mean while no one really cares what is the real purpose of the purchase. LOL

the best part, who buy these cheap suspensions usually they are the ones who has no clues from the begin with , and they got a most clicking game in the field ... hilarious.

can you imagine the set ups on the road today with these 32 etc cliking suspension in the evos? I bet if someone would collect them for a test day 99% of the owners would be VERY disappointing on they purchase, mean while they think they are faster and better then they were when they got the car , i am talking about handling wise...

And that is not a sale gimmick or a lie.

Rob

press on.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselmd
Dynotech, I understand what you're saying but the suspension is so much of what makes the Evo a great drivers' car. I would sooner invest in some Bilstein HD's and GTWORX or Swift springs than cheap coilovers. I'm sorry but I feel strongly about this. When people say, "I want a set of cheap coilovers that perform like x,y and z", I say sorry as that's not going to happen. Just like engine components and tuners or anything car-part related, you get what you pay for. Suspensions aren't any different and spending twice or thrice isn't smart either.
If someone wants the cheap set they get it, I sell a fair amount of suspension over $2500 so to each his own. Some people realize its not the best for what they wanted to pay then they spend another $3500 for suspension and corner balancing. Then I say told you so. But there are many that are happy with the ride quality because they have never experienced what a Top of the Line setup feels like.

-Brian
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what i believe most the ppl in this thread are trying to say, is that unless ur ready to drop $2500+ on a set of coilovers ur better of with bilsteins and a proper set of lowering springs, which is also cheaper and will last longer then all the cheap coilovers out there
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
what i believe most the ppl in this thread are trying to say, is that unless ur ready to drop $2500+ on a set of coilovers ur better of with bilsteins and a proper set of lowering springs, which is also cheaper and will last longer then all the cheap coilovers out there
I completely agree and would even go one step farther.

A thread with some useful information can be greatly reduced in value when people start posting their non-technical, "I love these; they rock!" opinions because the few nuggets of real wisdom are often diluted and forgotten.

Try this test. A very important problem with regard to the streetability of BC coilovers was raised a few pages ago. What was it?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Buy springs. When you outgrow springs, spend the proper cash on any AST/JRZ/Ohlins.

/all coilover threads
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

You can easily get away with $2000 and get stock KWs for most applications and a little more for the revalved versions and be very happy. So I would say that is the limit.

For the most part, I agree with your statement.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by warmmilk
evo_soul

What that shop owner told you is that the HSD is durable, nothing on how it performs...

I haven't seen HSD on any real race cars, stuff like DTM, World Challenge, ALMS... stuff like that, even Nascar. the top time attack cars don't run HSD either... companies like KW, Bilstien, Koni, Ohlins, AST, JRZ, etc are used in real motorsports... even zeal is run in high level motorsports in Japan...

the way I see it, if its not used in top level motorsports, then i'm not gonna use it either...
While HSD has been around for some time, they influence has started creeping across the pond. I think where it started out was actually Australia first and then on to the UK. And then the migration to Canada. HSD HR series is described as a mid range coilover with a good level of adjustment, performance and durability. Its a streetable coilover that holds up extremely well on the track and at the extremes.

The examples you have given are fine, your correct they are not in most Major league circles. Most of that has to do with sponsorship and advertising + good brand name coilovers. That said, HSD has been working on a next generation kit which should advance itself more into the spot light. Until then, the HR series coilover, is what it is. A durable streetable competition coilover. I have debated and dialogged with a few on here over this concept. But since there is no such thing as the perfect coilover or configuration, its hard to say A coilover reigns supreme over B coilover. Because a lot of it is personal preference and what style competition your in. Even going further then that, from track to track there can be a fair level of adjustments made to a kit to get desirable response. The only point I stress to those who look in on it and dismiss it as just another cheap coilover. Look at what everyone is saying about the kit.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. I would get AST's before the KW's since they cost the same.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
While HSD has been around for some time, they influence has started creeping across the pond. I think where it started out was actually Australia first and then on to the UK. And then the migration to Canada. HSD HR series is described as a mid range coilover with a good level of adjustment, performance and durability. Its a streetable coilover that holds up extremely well on the track and at the extremes.

The examples you have given are fine, your correct they are not in most Major league circles. Most of that has to do with sponsorship and advertising + good brand name coilovers. That said, HSD has been working on a next generation kit which should advance itself more into the spot light. Until then, the HR series coilover, is what it is. A durable streetable competition coilover. I have debated and dialogged with a few on here over this concept. But since there is no such thing as the perfect coilover or configuration, its hard to say A coilover reigns supreme over B coilover. Because a lot of it is personal preference and what style competition your in. Even going further then that, from track to track there can be a fair level of adjustments made to a kit to get desirable response. The only point I stress to those who look in on it and dismiss it as just another cheap coilover. Look at what everyone is saying about the kit.
you do realize the stock bilsteins with a proper spring will out preform and out last all these cheap coilovers, including the HSDs, and they don't have a million different settings to confuse you went trying to set them up...
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Dynotech Tuning - That deformation figure is about the springs, not the shocks.

OP - for $900 you're not buying anything worth a damn. If that's your total budget for suspension and you can't save up any further for whatever reason, buy a set of springs.

Nothing you buy for $900 is any good coilover-wise. Avoid the marketing and other people that simply do not have the experience to be giving out suspension reviews. Trust us, we're here to help...not make a quick buck off of you.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dieselmd
Exactly. I would get AST's before the KW's since they cost the same.

Actually, not sure these cost the same now. My understanding is taht the ASTs are $1900 for just the struts now. You have to buy the main springs, the helper springs with perch plate and other items seperate. So, they endup costing more than stock KWs and about the same as Robispec Streets.

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck Coilovers