Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best bang for buck Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL... There's a reason Ohlins are $3300-$9,000... its all about the quality. $900 coilovers are not going to be half as good as a V3 or R&T. Js
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theres a reason my cheap *** is still on Gtworx springs on re valved bilsteins ...moving to ohlins next even though I've been saying that for a while

anyway looks like the OP already went with springs...good thread though.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
you do realize the stock bilsteins with a proper spring will out preform and out last all these cheap coilovers, including the HSDs, and they don't have a million different settings to confuse you went trying to set them up...
YES. Stock bilsteins with something like a Swift Spec R or regular Swift Sport spring is a win imo
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
Theres a reason my cheap *** is still on Gtworx springs on re valved bilsteins ...moving to ohlins next even though I've been saying that for a while

anyway looks like the OP already went with springs...good thread though.
ha I'm still trying to make the move to revalved bilsteins as I'm on GTWorx/stockers. although, I'm still happy with my current setup.

Lots of good info on here about the correct way to go about your suspension within your budget.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

^
Do it, mine were blown and so I bought the springs and had them rebuilt at the same time.

I do feel ride quality went down from non blown bilsteins ...but then again I never had the springs with no revalve so I wouldn't really know the ride quality difference
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
you do realize the stock bilsteins with a proper spring will out preform and out last all these cheap coilovers, including the HSDs, and they don't have a million different settings to confuse you went trying to set them up...
I would never call Bilstein build quality and performance in to question. They have the respect and reputation of champs.

In the context of the OP question / thread Topic. HSD fits the bill for $1300.
Speaking from personal experience and my peers here. The kit has 16 stages of dampening force and allows you to configure the kit for the application its being used for. lol if someone gets confuse with that, they shouldnt be putting coilovers on the car. My point, from everything I have seen, I would say HSD has exceptional durability. I just dont see them fail. Coilover Brand kit has something that stands out about it. Features, or a real trick design... etc... etc... with HSD. The kit lasts a really long time. And Canada has some pretty bad roads and brutal weather. That means alot
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I would never call Bilstein build quality and performance in to question. They have the respect and reputation of champs.

In the context of the OP question / thread Topic. HSD fits the bill for $1300.
Speaking from personal experience and my peers here. The kit has 16 stages of dampening force and allows you to configure the kit for the application its being used for. lol if someone gets confuse with that, they shouldnt be putting coilovers on the car. My point, from everything I have seen, I would say HSD has exceptional durability. I just dont see them fail. Coilover Brand kit has something that stands out about it. Features, or a real trick design... etc... etc... with HSD. The kit lasts a really long time. And Canada has some pretty bad roads and brutal weather. That means alot
if bilsteins will last longer and perform better why would the OP go with HSD?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Montu
if bilsteins will last longer and perform better why would the OP go with HSD?
Because, Not everyone is blessed with the upgraded Bilsteins, or an EVO X MR. The other factor that comes into play is the fact that Canada isnt blessed with south USA weather

The EVO X owners I run into want the ability set their car ride high for the winter, low for the summer. The want the capability to compete in the weekend sports compact events.

If you have never been thru winter in Canada you know how brutal it can be. The fact that our evo`s cost 15 to 30% more should also let you know that we may not have that wonderful second car or beater. There are guys that do everything and go everywhere with their EVO X. as it should be.

What ever coilover brand, people decide. Most of the guys making the switch in suspension sell their OE setup and put that towards a good quality coilover.

Bilsteins are great, get some nice performance springs, Even better. To answer your question why HSD. Because they work up here. There are many brands there that perform well. But not well that come in at this price for this level of durability and function.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone have a decent map of the Evo X suspension (or just a set of bump-toe curves)? If you have the car aligned when set relatively low, what happens to toe when you raise the car about 1.5 inches? In other words, can you have the car aligned when set at the "clear-roads" height and just raise it temporarily after a heavy snow storm (or for a rallycross)?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Glad this thread is here. Reconfirmed my assumptions on suspension setups. I'm rocking Swift Sports on Eibachs. Perhaps I'll shell out for Bilsteins one of these days but not very likely. MR guys who are only interested in slamming their car on Stances or similar sell theirs all the time.

KW V3's were on my mind for a long, long time, but I don't "compete" in road racing so for ****s n giggles, springs will do (and have done) just fine.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Because, Not everyone is blessed with the upgraded Bilsteins, or an EVO X MR. The other factor that comes into play is the fact that Canada isnt blessed with south USA weather

1.The EVO X owners I run into want the ability set their car ride high for the winter, low for the summer. The want the capability to compete in the weekend sports compact events.

2.If you have never been thru winter in Canada you know how brutal it can be. The fact that our evo`s cost 15 to 30% more should also let you know that we may not have that wonderful second car or beater. There are guys that do everything and go everywhere with their EVO X. as it should be.

What ever coilover brand, people decide. Most of the guys making the switch in suspension sell their OE setup and put that towards a good quality coilover.

Bilsteins are great, get some nice performance springs, Even better. To answer your question why HSD. Because they work up here. There are many brands there that perform well. But not well that come in at this price for this level of durability and function.
1. you can buy used Bilsteins and new or used springs and still spend a lot less than $1k and have a car the performs amazingly

2. so basically ur saying that ppl that want to be hellflush/stanced buy coilover, who also don't care how the car handles. the rest of the ppl up there, that actually have a brain, that don't slam/stance/etc their car have it at a high that can be obtained by a spring and just because you dropped it ~1" doesn't mean you can't still do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREWkLCAKfw

sorry couldn't find the og version
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

[deleted] - too sarcastic to be useful
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
[deleted] - too sarcastic to be useful
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

No need to re-establish my old reputation....
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

**** your reputation, let's hear it. Plz.

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck Coilovers