Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best bang for buck Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 08:53 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by hotkupa
What would be way better since they are only $1K.
Fortune Auto. Yes, they are $200 more....but I could crap in a box and sell it to you for $1... that doesn't mean it's a good deal. [ChrisFarley].

FA has amazing customer service and local (U.S.) support.

If you are ultimately just looking to lower your car for the cheapest possible cost, and toss everything else out the window, then the Apex'i will be just fine. You most likely wouldn't be too concerned with the features of better coilovers anyway, at that point.
Just be sure before you buy. $1000 is a lot to drop on a product if you end up being unhappy with it.
And if you do end up unhappy and decide to ditch the Apex'i, your gonna get killed on the resale value.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long before I will have to rebuild them? (Apaxi or Fortunate Auto any experience)
Old May 30, 2015, 12:05 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by hotkupa
How long before I will have to rebuild them? (Apaxi or Fortunate Auto any experience)

depends on what you put your car through. but no less than any other shock, i'd imagine.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shock dynos are the ultimate truth telling tool for coilovers. Try to find some for the shocks you want.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very interesting thread here indeed.

I'll throw my support behind FEAL also. They are the only ~$1500 range coilover that I have seen from a US based company that really has the valving down. I have no doubt the parts are still coming from overseas to hit that pricepoint, but the valving is very well engineered. This is one of the rare sets that I believe you can actually make your car handle better in the $1500 range rather than worse, assuming you know how to set them up properly or have someone who can.

If you're thinking about picking up a set, call Odi at FEAL. He definitely knows his stuff. I switched from a set of stance coils last year which I would say handled worse than stock to a FEAL road race setup this year, and after one day at the track to dial them in I dropped 3 seconds off my previous time on a 1:45 lap and there is still more left. There are a few other upgrades this year also, but the suspension was the big change.