Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

3-Wheeling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011 | 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deanob
If you have 3 wheels on the ground rather then 4 then thats 1 tire less without traction so technically its not good however it also means that your chassis is very stiff so your also doing something right.
Keep in mind that no matter what you do to fix the problem that the inside rear wheel is going to have the least amount of weight on it in a proper corner, therefore the least amount of frictional force and therefore be adding the least amount of traction.

Do you want it on the ground? Ideally yes. Is it bad it isn't? Not at all. You're honestly probably not losing much for any normal driving/HPDE/basic Autocross.

What Iowa said is exactly right:
It's a combination of forward weight transfer (entering corner), your stock swaybars, and your 14k rear springs.
So you have 3 choices, with a couple "sub" choices in one of the categories:

1) Lower the weight/weight transfer of the car into corners
A) Decrease the overall weight
B) Go in to the corner slower and don't slam on the brakes as hard going in to it, learn to manipulate the car's weight.
2) Replace your stock swaybars
3) Get a lighter spring rate in the rear coilover setup.

Also don't know why ZK said what he said... The whole reason the X handles so well is because (well, many reasons but) S-AYC corrects by noticing that the inside rear has no traction and diverts power to the other 3 tires meaning no power gets lost to the outside rear tire. Unless the S-AYC is a broken system and I misunderstood how it worked all this time... That's how my LSD on the MINI and the DCCD worked on the STi.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

I still (also) think that the OP should check the setting on the coilovers to make sure that droop-travel isn't being limited (by preload setting, etc).
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markpaco
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned upgrading the front sway bar yet.
Um. The first thing I said was: "It's a combination of forward weight transfer (entering corner), your stock swaybars, and your 14k rear springs." [emphasis added]

With that said, given that lifting the inside rear at corner entry really isn't that big of a problem, if the OP is happy with the car's balance the rest of the time, I wouldn't ruin it just to keep the least important wheel on the ground at corner entry.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 06:05 AM

how are you driving the car into the corner
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Also don't know why ZK said what he said... The whole reason the X handles so well is because (well, many reasons but) S-AYC corrects by noticing that the inside rear has no traction and diverts power to the other 3 tires meaning no power gets lost to the outside rear tire. Unless the S-AYC is a broken system and I misunderstood how it worked all this time... That's how my LSD on the MINI and the DCCD worked on the STi.
The above confuses me greatly. Neither of the rear wheels will ever be off the ground under acceleration, at least not on tarmac. Under power, which would be corner exit, the issue is whether you are lifting the inside front. The front diff on an X is a helical, so lifting the inside front is devastating (as I suggested at some point earlier) since helicals can only produce ratios of torque distribution and anything times zero is still zero.

Of course, the S-AYC system is more than just a particular collection of separate devices. Are you suggesting that the X also has a BMW-like limited-slip system on the front? (i.e., brakes are applied to any wheel with little to no grip; a Mini is now a BMW, so that's probably what you mean when mentioning the Mini) Given that some people actually replace the front helical with a 1- or 1.5-way suggests to me that there is no secondary limited-slip device on the front of an X and I don't see anything about such in shop manual.

Solving the problem of inside-front slip with a harder-locking center is very sub-optimal and should not be used unless there is absolutely no other option. If you lock the center, when the inside front starts spinning at exit, the outside front has no choice but to slow down. Hello power-on understeer city.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZK
On the Evo 10, lifting the rear wheel will freak out the S-AYC unit as it thinks one wheel has lost traction and it sends power to the wrong wheel. Not good for handling.
I have quoted it here. I was not the one suggesting that the inside rear would be up while the car was being given full power on proper corner exit. Though at some point it likely still will since the car's weight won't shift instantaneously upon being given power, and you may be on the gas before corner exit as well.

My point was that ZK is mentioning something that doesn't matter. The system is supposed to detect that the inside rear tire has lost traction and divert power (if any is given) to the other 3 tires instead.

I apologize. I should have been more clear.

And no, on pre-2011 (I believe) R56 MINIs "S" models (Clubman and Cooper) there was the option for DSC (which includes the system you speak of) and an option for a true mechanical LSD or both. Most enthusiastic drivers turn DSC off all the time, hence you'll see MINIs with stickers that say "DSC Always Off!" on the back.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

No problems, man. But if I had been you, I would have just corrected ZK instead of continuing the line of thought. The AYC doesn't give a rat's tushie about lifting a rear wheel under braking at corner entry, which is what this thread is about. The S-AWC system might care, but the fancy rear diff doesn't. And, as I said above, if you're lifting the inside rear at corner exit on tarmac, then you have problems that are so serious that we are not going to be able to help. Even more, I am willing to bet my first-born (who is a total PITA, anyway) that no-one could set an Evo X up so badly that lifting the inside rear at exit is possible.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Not a Evo 10....But my IX three wheels.
Old Jun 23, 2011 | 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

My bad. I swore I saw something about a sway bar, but after a quick scan, I didn't notice it. I fully agree with your statement though.

Another thing is if the OP didn't cornerweight the car or set the springs with excessive/uneven preload then it may cause the rear wheel to lift excessively.

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Um. The first thing I said was: "It's a combination of forward weight transfer (entering corner), your stock swaybars, and your 14k rear springs." [emphasis added]

With that said, given that lifting the inside rear at corner entry really isn't that big of a problem, if the OP is happy with the car's balance the rest of the time, I wouldn't ruin it just to keep the least important wheel on the ground at corner entry.