Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need new brakes? 8k miles ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new brakes? 8k miles ?

Hey guys, I bought my car brandnew 2010. I just hit 8k on it and whenever I stop at like 5 MPH, I hear the front brakes squeal, just a tiny bit, like its hitting the safety metal warning thing on the brake pad when it gets worn down. U guys think at 8k the brake pads are already goin bad? I dont run the car hard or track it.... For that i dont really even slam or ride my brakes. I need some suggestions before I buy new brake pads.

Thanks, Nick
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

no need, the oem pads do occassionally squeal a bit. its normal. im still on mine @25k and still have plenty of pad left
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try to take a look at the pads, you should be able to see if they still have meat left. 8k could very well eat a set of pads with some degree of aggressive driving/braking, but since you said you never do any of that, then it's more likely just the pads making some noises.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

our pads are super dusty, the dust gets in there and squeals, wash your wheels/ car and it goes away for a couple days
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:24 PM

Just turned 20k and the right front brakes have sung like mad at certian pedal pressures for the past 5k miles. Still plenty of pad left and no trouble stoping, just noisey. Very noisey.

Just realized, that is the only complaint I have ever had about the car.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I'm at 18k and while the brakes have been making noise since 10k, they're feeling great, but recently I've had the "Service Brakes" light come on a couple times while braking hard, so it's got me a bit concerned to drive it hard until I can figure out what's going on.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTED2010
Hey guys, I bought my car brandnew 2010. I just hit 8k on it and whenever I stop at like 5 MPH, I hear the front brakes squeal, just a tiny bit, like its hitting the safety metal warning thing on the brake pad when it gets worn down. U guys think at 8k the brake pads are already goin bad? I dont run the car hard or track it.... For that i dont really even slam or ride my brakes. I need some suggestions before I buy new brake pads.

Thanks, Nick
You made the mistake of taking time off from your regular car washes, hand washes keep that dust build-up minimized. Not washing conversely builds it up, and then you have brakes that sound like a dump truck, which is actually pretty close to the braking power of the Brembo setup

Your OEM pads, with some light occassional track time, should last you 25k miles before you worry. I don't recommend the Mitsu price for replacing them, find some good street performance pads (I will tell you the StopTechs are about the same stopping power, a little (very little) more dust, and come in a small fraction of the OEMs; tradeoff is temp tolerance so I bought track pads that are STILL cheaper than Mitsubishi's extortion for replacing OEM pads.)
Old Jul 1, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
I'm at 18k and while the brakes have been making noise since 10k, they're feeling great, but recently I've had the "Service Brakes" light come on a couple times while braking hard, so it's got me a bit concerned to drive it hard until I can figure out what's going on.
Your brake fluid is low because your pad are wearing down. WOT on an incline will cause the light to come on too.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Your brake fluid is low because your pad are wearing down. WOT on an incline will cause the light to come on too.
or 0.99g on a track with an inclined bank turn ....
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
or 0.99g on a track with an inclined bank turn ....
The Fluid was a little low, and the pads look like they have good life left. I might bleed them to see if I got some air. It's funny becuase the light usually comes on when I'm taking a really hard bank or turn and/or braking hard before entering a hard turn.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

If you think oems are loud wait till you start running more aggressive pad materials
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Changed my brake pads at 16k. Bought the car brand new in Oct 2010 as well. When we pulled the pads off they still had a few thousand miles left on them but since I am headed from DC to Texas and going to college fulltime I decided to go ahead and change them now.

Stoptech pads, AMS SS brake lines, and Motoul brake fluid makes the car feel better than stock in my opinion. Plus as freaking hot as it is out there currently not a bad decision to get rid of those factory lines.

Take your car to a brake place and let them estimate how much life you have left on your pads though. Brake Inspections are usually free and at least it'll give you piece of mind instead of all the comments we have for you on here.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Built2Fast
Changed my brake pads at 16k. Bought the car brand new in Oct 2010 as well. When we pulled the pads off they still had a few thousand miles left on them but since I am headed from DC to Texas and going to college fulltime I decided to go ahead and change them now.

Stoptech pads, AMS SS brake lines, and Motoul brake fluid makes the car feel better than stock in my opinion. Plus as freaking hot as it is out there currently not a bad decision to get rid of those factory lines.

Take your car to a brake place and let them estimate how much life you have left on your pads though. Brake Inspections are usually free and at least it'll give you piece of mind instead of all the comments we have for you on here.
Good point.

Where in Texas? I'm from there and went to University of Houston, while my family went to A&M, and most my friends went to UT. I miss Texas
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Going to UTD. Finishing up my BS in MIS
Then headed back here to DC and my company is paying for my Masters. Plus i get a 40k jump in pay which means slammed EVO!!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:02 AM

When I was switching wheels at my last autocross and they had a lot of meat left at 5,200 miles with pretty heavy use.... they did squeek a little during normal driving, so am sure they are fine. I would say if you aren't sure there are many places that offer free brake inspections.

Quick Reply: Need new brakes? 8k miles ?