Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune Auto??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimm
This is where I don't see the point. For $1500 you are about $300 away from KWs quoted from vendors on this site without the hassle of having to put the things together and THEN install them, without having to have access to the tools or expertise to put the things together, without having to do much of anything other than bolt the things on.

Additionally, they carry a warranty...for life.

For $1500 dollars you can by H &R coilovers that are made by Bilstein that have adjustable ride height (but no adjustment for valving..they can probably be revalved by Bilstein though).

Both seem a better solution to me than messing with all the work you are talking about here. And a better solution than crappy coilovers. For some (not evos) cars, you could easily have adjustable damping KYBs if you are OK with fixed ride height.

We disagree. I don't see the point in these anymore or for that matter, cheap coilovers in general. Some areas you can cut corners on and it will not matter. I just don't think this is one of them.
The $1,500 price range consists of $458 camber plates that I listed in the parts list. Subtract that cost because that is not included in a set of KW, PSS9, and H&R's. If you guys are going to keep comparing start adding up additional costs. To revalve a set of coil overs it is going to cost around $125 per corner. Your $1,500 set just turned into $2,000.Now add camber plates and it is almost $2,500. The key factor here is money! This argument is strictly budget based. If somebody came to you and said I have $1,500 what can I do? Not $3,000 or $2,000 or even $1,501. They didn't ask what is the best, but asked what is the best for their budget.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
If somebody came to you and said I have $1,500 what can I do? Not $3,000 or $2,000 or even $1,501. They didn't ask what is the best, but asked what is the best for their budget.
Easy. GTWorks springs and a 12-month CD.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Easy. GTWorks springs and a 12-month CD.
Yeah and the savings you will get from that year will be the same as the springs you just purchased. Now it has been a full year of just riding around on KYB's and springs. Try again.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You kind of missed my point.

Never spend significant amounts of money on stuff that you're just going to have to get rid of later. If you don't have enough money on hand to buy something worthwhile, then wait.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ok then sell your Evo, ride around on a bicycle for awhile and put all the money from your car into a CD until you have enough for a Skyline or any other top of the line sports car for that matter. Same train of thought.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is where I don't see the point. For $1500 you are about $300 away from KWs quoted from vendors on this site without the hassle of having to put the things together and THEN install them, without having to have access to the tools or expertise to put the things together, without having to do much of anything other than bolt the things on.

For $1500 dollars you can by H &R coilovers that are made by Bilstein that have adjustable ride height (but no adjustment for valving..they can probably be revalved by Bilstein though).

Both seem a better solution to me than messing with all the work you are talking about here. And a better solution than crappy coilovers. For some (not evos) cars, you could easily have adjustable damping KYBs if you are OK with fixed ride height.

We disagree. I don't see the point in these anymore or for that matter, cheap coilovers in general. Some areas you can cut corners on and it will not matter. I just don't think this is one of them.
so what suspension setup would you recommend?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven88
so what suspension setup would you recommend?
Honestly, the cheapest I would go is $1799 for stock KWs (just pm the venders here) If you have a litlle more money, add a roll center kit and rear sway. Otherwise, go with GTworx springs on stock struts and rear sway and the roll center kit if you can afford it. At some point down the road you have the money for good coilovers you will have the rest already.

If you want better, ASTs, robispec modified kws or Ohlins.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, the cheapest I would go is $1799 for stock KWs (just pm the venders here) If you have a litlle more money, add a roll center kit and rear sway. Otherwise, go with GTworx springs on stock struts and rear sway and the roll center kit if you can afford it. At some point down the road you have the money for good coilovers you will have the rest already.

i honestly wouldn't mind regular KW V3...there are plenty of good reviews about them...they come with a brake bracket...the only gripe i have is they don't come with top hats.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

You can reuse the stock tophats. There is an advantage to this as there is less road noise transferred to the cabin.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

You can reuse the stock tophats. There is an advantage to this as there is less road noise transferred to the cabin.
thats the thing though....you mentioned earlier

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9481644-post103.html

you say, without the hassle of putting things together and then installing....to me its the same thing with KW...you have to remove the stock top hats and assemble them onto the KWs anyway...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Ok then sell your Evo, ride around on a bicycle for awhile and put all the money from your car into a CD until you have enough for a Skyline or any other top of the line sports car for that matter. Same train of thought.
No its not. Not even close. I wanted to have an evo not a skyline or any other "higher classed " car. Be honest, you just don't want to say to someone else: you are right.
Also I don't know why people associate camber plates with a "must be a good coilover theory" its a same mistake as a more click you have a better the coilover is, never mind the fact not all camber plates created equal.... As the example here shows the FA has camber plates the same time many $ 10K+ rally ohlins - reiger etc suspensions doesn't... So as soon as you try to make your point legit by coilovers measured by camber plates, you just making more obvious your knowledge about coilovers so as others here.
if you cant buy an entry level coilovers, those are starts around $1800, then you better off without it. Get a good springs for your oem struts and you set. The EVo is not Mazda 3 or other compacts where almost any change on the suspension is an upgrade...

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 24, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

You fail to recognize that RevMoto threw in a damn near $500 set of camber plates; if you wanna compare to a slightly same setup, add $500 to the KW kit or subtract the 500 from the RevMoto mentioned kit.... $1000 vs. $1800 OR $1500 vs. $2300. The price difference is basically the cost of a brand new LSD.

The $1,500 price range consists of $458 camber plates that I listed in the parts list. Subtract that cost because that is not included in a set of KW, PSS9, and H&R's. If you guys are going to keep comparing start adding up additional costs. To revalve a set of coil overs it is going to cost around $125 per corner. Your $1,500 set just turned into $2,000.Now add camber plates and it is almost $2,500. The key factor here is money! This argument is strictly budget based. If somebody came to you and said I have $1,500 what can I do? Not $3,000 or $2,000 or even $1,501. They didn't ask what is the best, but asked what is the best for their budget.
This.

Originally Posted by Iowa999
You kind of missed my point.

Never spend significant amounts of money on stuff that you're just going to have to get rid of later. If you don't have enough money on hand to buy something worthwhile, then wait.
I would agree; buy something you want, do it right the first time instead of dicking around 50 times.

But keep in mind, you may street your car with an occasional track or auto-x day here and there.... some people I know go all out track or all out auto-x and trailer their car to every event.... in that case, the "kit" revmoto and I have been preaching has the higher, most useful advantage because you customized said kit to your driving style, aka valving and spring rates.

lol, then why buy coilovers in the first place? You buy them for performance, unless you gotta bunch of hardparkers in here... It's nice to have the capability to dial in camber and caster when needed/wanted and is definitely worth the $150-500 upgrade to the camber plates. If you're worried about cabin noise, go buy a benz.

Note: the camber plates revmoto speaks of are probably the best ones on the market IMO as it comes with upper spring perches with bearings in them. Coupled with bearings in the plate, this is useful to help keep the spring straight even if you're running high camber and will increase the life of the spring. Certainly you can run the $150 Noltec plates, which are also very good, but you don't have the high amount of available camber nor the bearing spring perch.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven88
thats the thing though....you mentioned earlier

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9481644-post103.html

you say, without the hassle of putting things together and then installing....to me its the same thing with KW...you have to remove the stock top hats and assemble them onto the KWs anyway...
Hmmmm you equate chopping into the stock struts, ripping out the enternals etc with taking the stock hats off and putting them on coilovers? Not sure I agree.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmmm you equate chopping into the stock struts, ripping out the enternals etc with taking the stock hats off and putting them on coilovers? Not sure I agree.
i guess we have different views

its still not a bolt on regardless...like the fortune autos or any budget coilover for that matter....thats why i asked you....since both spring/shock & KW v3 both need work no matter what
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stormin Norman
But keep in mind, you may street your car with an occasional track or auto-x day here and there.... some people I know go all out track or all out auto-x and trailer their car to every event.... in that case, the "kit" revmoto and I have been preaching has the higher, most useful advantage because you customized said kit to your driving style, aka valving and spring rates.

lol, then why buy coilovers in the first place? You buy them for performance, unless you gotta bunch of hardparkers in here... It's nice to have the capability to dial in camber and caster when needed/wanted and is definitely worth the $150-500 upgrade to the camber plates. If you're worried about cabin noise, go buy a benz...

... high camber and will increase the life of the spring. Certainly you can run the $150 Noltec plates, which are also very good, but you don't have the high amount of available camber nor the bearing spring perch.
Re track use: most people here use the car for both dd and track. Especially those who are going to be worried about only being able to spend $1500 on coilovers. How reasonable is it to assume such a person has 30k to blow on a stripped out race car and have another DD?

For DD car, not hearing the springs everytime they compress is a goodthing as is having struts that perform well and still livable on the street.

If I were going to have a dedicated track car, I still wouldnt buy these, I would do what the serious guys do here and go for high end ASTs or JRZs and I would go with Vorslag camber plates. If you don't have a car with all but the drivers seat taken out, the carpets , ceiling and door liners pulled , the radio gone etc the. You aren't doing at the level you refer to or if you are you aren't doing it right..which is my point.

The right way is using best qualit parts available

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto??