Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS Service light?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS Service light?

I just installed TE37 and had the place swap my TPMS over to the new wheels. They said they had a real hard time doing the swap and did not have the right tool, but they did it. Twenty miles later and the "TPMS service" light came on. Is this due to it not being seated properly?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hopefully somebody can chime in,

Sears said they had to buy some sort of "kit" to make it fit for each rim. I assumed it was just take it out and put it in the new wheel. Is it not attached to the valve stem?

Also, if I do not have my original TPMS in my car, can I have mitsubishi program them to my car?

Last edited by R Lar; Jul 17, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They had a hard time because they probably broke at least one of the sensors! They don't require "special" tools, but they can easily break if tires are removed or installed incorrectly.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yea dont go to sears. They are a bunch of kids that dont know what they are doing. Either the grommet got crimped and slowly leaking air and the sensor actually is working and detected it or they dont have the proper tool to program the tpms so the light eventually came on and the tires are fine. Check your tire pressures and make sure they are good. If so then its the programming which can only be done by mitsu. Mitsu charges $100+ to program them.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by malves85
Yea dont go to sears. They are a bunch of kids that dont know what they are doing. Either the grommet got crimped and slowly leaking air and the sensor actually is working and detected it or they dont have the proper tool to program the tpms so the light eventually came on and the tires are fine. Check your tire pressures and make sure they are good. If so then its the programming which can only be done by mitsu. Mitsu charges $100+ to program them.

Thanks man, yeah it looks like it might just need to be re-programmed. Check the tires, doesn't look like i'm losing any air. NEVER GO TO SEARS!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

I was surprised that Americas tire center didn't mess mine up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Evo + Te37s + Sears = ??????????????
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
Evo + Te37s + Sears = ??????????????
Wasn't my idea to to get it done there. The previous owner picked it, but regardless it's a sears tire shop and this should not have happen.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the TPMS sensors were already programmed for your car, they do not need to be re-programmed. So if you just took them off the stock wheels and put them on the Volks, everything should work fine.

My guess is they messed one of them up and it's now showing the warning light. Good luck finding out which one it is they messed up. Or maybe more than one. They aren't cheap either...$60-$100 each depending where you go. Plus, then you would need a re-program if you got new ones.

What a hassle....Good luck...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

BJ's tire center reprograms tpms for 20 bux! fyi, hope that helps!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by K.Bullet
BJ's tire center reprograms tpms for 20 bux! fyi, hope that helps!
is this via a wireless transmitter or hooking it to the obd2 port?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:13 AM

Hi. All the guys were right.
I would do is. First, check the air. Make sure the match up with the door panel. I would check the air in the morning for a mor accurate reading.
If none of them are leaking. You know it's not cause by low air.

The sensors are generally rated at 100,000miles or 5 years on the battery life. You can go to Costco. Ask them to help you out. Hey have this tool (wheelrite tech 400 plus) that can essentially tell you if the sensor is working. If it's not getting a reading pretty much battery is dead. Costco doesn't work on non Costco bought tires. So ask them nicely

If you gonna replace sensors. Get the Factory original.

FYI by law. No dealer can willing disable your tpms. If they battery goes dead. You are not required to replace it.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I just checked the tire pressure in each wheel. It seems all right... all of them are about the same. One of them is about 2psi lower than the rest, so. Gonna go back to the place and see what what the hell happen exactly. I should also add,

I did a swap of wheels with another member. His TPMS light went off too. Weird...

Last edited by R Lar; Jul 22, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The senders in all Lancers have unique IDs. Every time that you change a wheel - even when swapping with another Lancer of any sort - you will have to tell the ECU what the new ID is. You cannot store multiple sets of codes. You are forced to get the ECU reprogrammed.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:10 PM

If you swap the wheels, you have to take of the your original sensors and put them in your new wheels. Like the guy above me said. They have their own IDs, the new IDs need to be registered to the computer

Quick Reply: TPMS Service light?