Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

cross-threaded lugnut....and spinning aftward..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cross-threaded lugnut....and spinning aftward..

So, I've talked to a couple places Discount tire and Dealership..and Discount won't touch and dealership won't promise they'll F%^& up my rims. I've got one other option a this point is the local alignment shop for removal. Has anyone run across this issue/suggestion?

All I was doing was putting new lugs on and never got the indication that the lugs was crossthreaded...then it kept spinning as if it was never going to tighten up again? If anyone has idea also what kind of cost this would be if they experienced this before. I did search on forum.

I hear using na chisel and hammer? That just sounds a little rough..

up sh__ creek,

B
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similiar situation happen to a buddy of mine on his 97 Eclipse GST where the locking lug nut wouldnt come off (the key was rounded off and the lug was rounded as well). I tell you what i did, i got a universal lug nut removal tool. it had sharp edges that cut into the lug when you drilled counter clockwise and it dug into the lug and removed and broke it free. you will need a impact gun to remove.

if that method does not work your best bet and onyl liable one would be to torch the lug and get the molecules expanded in the metal and let it cool quickly and weaken the metal and hit it with a hammer and chisel. this is what the dealer would do and why they cant promise to the rim wouldnt be damaged. also the rim is a perishable item just like a clutch or brake pad they will not warranty the rim at all... best of luck to removing it
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:23 AM

I had a flat tire cause of a nail and when i got my car back 3 of the lugs wouldn't tighten up. The place swore they didnt do it. so i took it to another place and they had to drill out those lug nuts. They charged me around 300 and i just sent the bill to the other place and they ended up paying for it and my tow bill.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me after i purchased my car. When i went to change the rims i had two spinning lugs. I ended up just drilling them out and replacing the studs. If you go this route make sure you put painters tape or something to protect your wheel from the metal shavings. Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone..I did see the kits on-line like this from craftsman will this possibly work if the stud is spinning? http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

If this turns into a $300 job...I'm gonna pull my hair out.

-B
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
Thanks for all the info everyone..I did see the kits on-line like this from craftsman will this possibly work if the stud is spinning? http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1
Nope. That's for a nut- or bolt-head that's stripped. In this case, they usually have to split the lug-nut with a chisel, with or without chilling it first.

If this turns into a $300 job...I'm gonna pull my hair out.
Here's hoping that you'll look good bald.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

If the nut keeps spinning, use a bolt extracted wont help.

That will only work if you have stripped the nut.
Your case is that the nut is fine but the lug nut bolt is stripped.

I would try drilling it out, if that doesn't work then torch is the only solution.
If you use a torch, the likely hood of messing up your rim is very hi.

good luck
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Can you grip the nut with a vice grip and while pulling on it try and back it out?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by lowkey
Can you grip the nut with a vice grip and while pulling on it try and back it out?
I could probably grip the lug but, problem is that it spins on the stud. So, I think I'll have to get it chisled out. If it gets torched, I'm gonna be pissed especially over a $3.00 lug Losing my rim wasn't really part of the equation..
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:24 PM

I could probably grip the lug but, problem is that it spins on the stud. So, I think I'll have to get it chisled out. If it gets torched, I'm gonna be pissed especially over a $3.00 lug Losing my rim wasn't really part of the equation..
Yeah maybe if you pull while turning it could grip the threads.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What's really going to kill you is when you find that the nuts are 12 x 1.25 and even the ones you get off easily will have damaged your lugs.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
What's really going to kill you is when you find that the nuts are 12 x 1.25 and even the ones you get off easily will have damaged your lugs.
I bought the ones made for a X. think it's 12x1.5