Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire discussion - All Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koach
Also, I have 25,000 miles on my tires, and they'll probably need replaced at around 30,000 miles. That is ****ty treadlife for an all season tire in my opinion.
That is pretty surprising tread life for those tires. Their tweadwear rating is ridiculous. 540 or something if I recall correctly.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by koach
I bought the Continental Extreme Contact DWS because of all the great reviews. They are pretty decent in the snow. However, there is a noticeable loss in handling. When I go around corners fast there is some squeal and I don't feel as solidly planted on the road. This is probably because of the soft sidewall.

Also, I have 25,000 miles on my tires, and they'll probably need replaced at around 30,000 miles. That is ****ty treadlife for an all season tire in my opinion.
Has the car been aligned since the tires have been put on??? If so, what are the specs? There's no way they'll wear out that fast with a proper alignment.

-Jalal
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Tire pressure? You can stiffen the sidewalls of almost any tire with more air.

^^ might wanna so some reasearch. you can't make a tires design stiffer by addin air.

Not all tires are designed the same nor do they handle the same. if your looking for a stiff sidewall, look for the XL rating when looking for them.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I picked up some continental dws tires yesterday and im happy as hell i did, rides much better, no road noise and handles great.....highly recommended for an all season tire
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
honestly, the only way you'll get a better performing all season tire in the dry than the DWS (at least enough of a difference you can feel) is if you buy a "performance all season" tire, but then it'll suck in the snow... almost as bad as a summer tire... the DWS isn't that bad in the dry. In my opinion its the best tire for a climate with winters that have intermittent snow (not sure if NJ falls under that) if you live somewhere that has snow all winter I'd recommend getting Blizzacks...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Tire pressure? You can stiffen the sidewalls of almost any tire with more air.
tire pressure can only do so much... and then you're ballooning your tires, getting a crappier contact patch and uneven tirewear...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
honestly, the only way you'll get a better performing all season tire in the dry than the DWS (at least enough of a difference you can feel) is if you buy a "performance all season" tire, but then it'll suck in the snow...
Actually, the DWS is classified as an Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire, and they are available in z speed ratings. It's just that they have optimized it for some decent snow performance versus the DW which they did not. Thus, it has slightly narrower tread width, slightly softer sidewalls, slighter more tread depth, and silica in the compound.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, thanks for the feed back. The stock Advans are definitely kick butt and I like them. However, the Evo's handling is stellar regardless and there's no way I'm really going to be able to push this car the way it should on the street, safely.

With that said, am I really missing out by using an all season year round, versus having a dedicated winter/summer tire? I really don't want to spend the money on another set of wheels and tires, I'd prefer to hopefully sell the Advans and let that money help in purchasing some all seasons. I have several friends with Evos and AWD BMWs who say their all seasons have been great, although they aren't the most performance oriented tires in the world obviously.

Am I really sarcrificing THAT much by going to an all season? Perhaps I'd learn the lesson myself by getting an all season but I really cannot afford to spend $1,000 every 15k miles on performance tires, at least not now. If the sarcifice is justified that is.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JWA
Actually, the DWS is classified as an Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire, and they are available in z speed ratings. It's just that they have optimized it for some decent snow performance versus the DW which they did not. Thus, it has slightly narrower tread width, slightly softer sidewalls, slighter more tread depth, and silica in the compound.
Yeah, I never understood why, it doesn't perform like an uhp all season... I think they just stuck it there cause of the speed rating... Most other uhp all seasons are more dry performance oriented than the DWS. I have the DWS as my winter tires, IMO they're perfect for Seattle winter weather...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

What should I do if I live in California? It gets really hot in the Summer and fairly cold in the Winter. Lowest it gets in Winter on average is about 45 and it doesn't really rain much. I was planning on Hankook v12's?

Sorry for thread jack!!!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mar387
Guys, thanks for the feed back. The stock Advans are definitely kick butt and I like them. However, the Evo's handling is stellar regardless and there's no way I'm really going to be able to push this car the way it should on the street, safely.

With that said, am I really missing out by using an all season year round, versus having a dedicated winter/summer tire? I really don't want to spend the money on another set of wheels and tires, I'd prefer to hopefully sell the Advans and let that money help in purchasing some all seasons. I have several friends with Evos and AWD BMWs who say their all seasons have been great, although they aren't the most performance oriented tires in the world obviously.

Am I really sarcrificing THAT much by going to an all season? Perhaps I'd learn the lesson myself by getting an all season but I really cannot afford to spend $1,000 every 15k miles on performance tires, at least not now. If the sarcifice is justified that is.
I say if you're short on cash, go with the DWS, respect their limits, make sure you have a safe alignment (0* toe all around), and enjoy them. Once you have that cash for a separate summer/winter set up, do that.

-Jalal
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't read the replies, but I'd strongly recommend two sets of wheels / tires. One set with advans, star specs, re01r's, etc. in the summer. And one set with Blizzaks in the winter. I got a cheap set of wheels for winter for my 2008 and rocked them with blizzaks in the winter. They actually weren't that bad of wheels. But who cares with all the salt and crap? They get ruined anyhow.

I would stear clear of all seasons. They don't perform that well in the summer / dry. They don't perform all that well in the winter / snow. A lot of them actually perform very poorly in the snow. Especially after the first year and they start wearing. And in deep snow / ice.

I'm actually getting rid of my winter set. Wheels and tires. I got a new 2011 and its staying parked in the winter now. I'd hook you up if you're interested.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mar387

how bad are the winters in NJ? is it just snow once in a while or is there snow on the ground most of the winter?

if its just snow once in a while, then get a performance tire like Michelin PSS (or Hankook V12's if you want something cheap) and drive the accord on bad weather days. these type of tires will be better in the cold than more extreme tires like starspecs or re11's or etc...

if there is snow on the ground most of the winter suck it up, get some real snow tires for the winter and some real summer tires for the summer (like starspecs or something), or if you want them to last something like the PSS if you don't want anything too aggressive

but honestly if you just want some crappy all seasons for year round, sell the evo and just drive your accord... unless all you care about is straight line performance...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
tire pressure can only do so much... and then you're ballooning your tires, getting a crappier contact patch and uneven tirewear...
34PSI on the DWS is pretty decent in the dry, and treadwear seems normal.. not as good as the stock Yoko's dry, but way better in moderate to heavy rain.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Sure it's decent, but compared to even to stock advans, sidewall flex is pretty bad under heavier cornering...