Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire discussion - All Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire discussion - All Seasons

Hey all -

I'm trying to get my Evo X prepared for the NJ winter. I have seen numerous threads on all season tires on here, and I usually see people suggest buying Continental ExtremeContact DWS' for the Evo. However after seeing some reviews on dry weather performance, I'm looking elsewhere.

My plan is to sell the stock Yokohama ADVAN A13Cs first. I currently have a little under 2,000 miles on these tires and they're in good shape. Does anyone know what kind of ball park I could expect to get per tire? I was thinking about $175-180.

As far as the replacements go, here are my choices:

• Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (My top choice but a bit pricey for my tastes)
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
  • Goodyear Eagle GT
Now I know that I cannot nearly expect the same grip with these tires above in comparison to the stock ADVANs but I need some all season just in case. I do have a Honda Accord that I daily, but I'm sure I'm going to need/want to bring the Evo out in the snow at some point.

Any suggestions or information is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:45 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going for winter tires, dont look anywhere else than the Blizzaks. For All season, I dont know about the "bad" reviews on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's because I have been rocking them for 16k miles and they are still amazing. I lost some traction on turns because its coming close to replace them but they are amazing.

Last edited by T6; Aug 29, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: thread moved, deleted a part in post.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I am in the same boat as the op, im thinking about eagle gt tires or the yokohama envigors....any one running either of these tires?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
If you are going for winter tires, dont look anywhere else than the Blizzaks. For All season, I dont know about the "bad" reviews on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's because I have been rocking them for 16k miles and they are still amazing. I lost some traction on turns because its coming close to replace them but they are amazing.
I'm really looking for an all season tire, not a winter tire. You must drive those tires hard for only getting 16-20k miles on them.

Last edited by mar387; Aug 29, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mar387
I'm really looking for an all season tire, not a winter tire. You must drive those tires hard for only getting 16-20k miles on them.
+1 on scary 16k tire life. I'd recommend those OR Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums. They are VERY quiet in terms of road noise, have a 600 tread wear rating, and have a 60,000 mile warranty. Had them on my MS3 and loved them. The Eagle GT's are also ok, but wear faster and have no warranty for our tire size.

Last edited by eg6motion; Aug 29, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
evo deserves two sets of tire , one for warm hot weather, and one set for cold and snowy weather.
you will actually not loosing money this way , and you will gain a lots of grip both condition.
You need bot set being dedicated the condition you will drive on it.

All season is a trade off in both world , loosing a lots of fun and you dont save money also/significantly anyway/

So as an example get a summer tires something like Toyo R888's or Advan A08 Nitto NT1 etc.

And for winter like a blizzak and brothers.

Also you can play this case with tire size's.
as an examples:
For summer i would buy a new rims and put something 265-275-35-18's on it. and for winter i would use a stock rims and get a 235-225 -45 -18 tire on it.

Rob
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
T6
Evolving Member

If you have the option, as have a garage and space... Spend some extra cash and grab two sets. I dont have that option so I went with all season. And yes, I am quite harsh on my tires
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a friend of mine has star specs on his subaru, and its insanely scary in the snow here in colorado. i'd advise to stay away from star specs for extreme winters. those summer performance tires are not meant for winter driving. their compound needs to have heat in them to work properly.

some people even say the star specs are ruined if its laid out in the cold.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Check out the Dunlop winter sport 3D. very good winter tire, used them on my Audi in Germany and now use them on my EVO. they also have excellent dry road grip, xl load rating (stiff sidewalls), and are actually speed rated 95V / 148mph, 95W / 168 mph . ran them on autobahn with no issues. but they can humm when get wore down.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

Last edited by armysoldier1073; Aug 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

An Evo on proper modern winter tires in snow is one of the bext automotive experiences around. I live in WI and raced RallyCross for years, so I've been through tons of tires. In my opinion you have two options: a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels and a dedicated summer set, or buy a set of the DWS to run year round.

The DWS is the first all-season that is actually decent in ice and snow. It isn't an r-rated compound in the summer and has slightly soft sidewalls, but it is the best all around tire I've ever used. For winter, I prefer the Dunlop WinterSport 3D or M3 to the Blizzaks, only because they have better dry-road handling.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You 100% should NEVER run Z1*, RE11, NT05, DW in sub 50*F. The compound was not designed to ever operate in those temps. You will have instant loss of lateral grip.

All-seasons have their place. If you live in a low snow region - AS for winter. If you live in heavy snow region - snows. NEVER summers in the winter months.

Older Simple Article:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...inter-you.html

Last edited by Smike; Aug 29, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

I've had my RT615s(200 wear) on my STI when it was 35 degrees out and never had an issue with grip. I mean yeah, I wouldn't be going ***** to the wall but still I can drive like I normally do, which is agressive. It was only because I was waiting for my snows to come in, but its defintely not dangeorus especially if you drive like a somewhat normal human.

To the OP, Snows in the Winter, Summers in the warmer months, don't waste your time on all-seasons.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:23 PM

I'd chose the bf goodridge super sport. Excellent tire to go with. I work for discount tire, and honestly say they are not cheap, but you will be happy with how they perform.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

I bought the Continental Extreme Contact DWS because of all the great reviews. They are pretty decent in the snow. However, there is a noticeable loss in handling. When I go around corners fast there is some squeal and I don't feel as solidly planted on the road. This is probably because of the soft sidewall.

Also, I have 25,000 miles on my tires, and they'll probably need replaced at around 30,000 miles. That is ****ty treadlife for an all season tire in my opinion.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by koach
I bought the Continental Extreme Contact DWS because of all the great reviews. They are pretty decent in the snow. However, there is a noticeable loss in handling. When I go around corners fast there is some squeal and I don't feel as solidly planted on the road. This is probably because of the soft sidewall.
Tire pressure? You can stiffen the sidewalls of almost any tire with more air.

Quick Reply: Tire discussion - All Seasons