Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Real vs "Fake" wheels. Who manufactures what?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real vs "Fake" wheels. Who manufactures what?

I'm a relatively new EVO owner, and throughout my lifetime of owning cars, I've always stuck with the stock rims I get. I like the BBS wheels that came with mine alot, but I'll probably buy some rims to keep winter tires on in a few months.

Based on what I see here, alot of people run with Volks. While I think they look wonderful, and might even someday cure cancer, they I see the average cost for a set to be around 3k, and I can't help but wonder where you all get your money from to support your car upgrades. lol.

Anyways....

When I've looked on several of the websites for wheels posted here, its incredibly hard to tell who makes the real deal, and who makes the cheapo knockoff wheels.

Can anyone post a list of who copies who? And what might the differences between them? Is this something newbie is going to notice and regret down the line?

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you can buy used oem evo wheels for snows. its cheaper than buying volks or any wheels just for the sake of snow.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the volks vs rota arguement. I think "fake" is supposed to mean knockoffs?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

what sblvro said. (BTW your youtube vid doesn't work)

to be honest though, you get what you pay for as far as knockoffs. the real wheels will be much higher quality and usually lighter/ stronger.

there are so many knock off companies out there that the list would be pretty long. some of the more common knock off companies are varrstoen, rota and XXR (on evom anyways) there's a few others running around. you will know the difference between real and fake in time
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I'm looking for a list of manufacturers that are acceptable knockoffs versus the guys that you should avoid at all costs.

I assume when I'm in the local tire shop, I should avoid those rims at all costs, but I don't know the first thing about them versus say Volk or something else.

As for the snow thing. I have a nice set of BBS's that came with my car, I like my stock wheels, but I may use them for winter and get a nicer set of wheels for summer. Its just confusing because I can't tell who makes legit wheels versus knockoffs, and which knockoffs arent "so bad" versus the ones you should absolutely avoid.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
you can buy used oem evo wheels for snows. its cheaper than buying volks or any wheels just for the sake of snow.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:41 PM
raz
Evolving Member

avoid what ever you think looks ugly, if you are on a budget then look at some really quality wheels at great prices, enkei gtc01, enkei rpf01, strong light weight and great looking plus tons of options in offset , colour , widths, and diameter, also ame wheels, weds sport wheels, work wheels the emotion series, check out all these companies and i,m sure you,ll find a set you really like, hope this helps
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW many people dont know that Advans are manufactured by Enkei Wheels Japan.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

So are weds apparently.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pirana
FWIW many people dont know that Advans are manufactured by Enkei Wheels Japan.
There are several brands that are "subsidiaries" or do work with Enkei. AME, Advan, Weds and I believe SSR are all made in Enkei factories. Enkei's biggest business is OEMs. You'd be surprised just how many OEM wheels out there are Enkei-made wheels that aren't branded in any way.

Rays, Volks and G-Games are all the same brand.

Other brands like XXR more than likely just pick wheels from a Chinese catalog and throw their stickers on them, which is why so many similar styles propagate across different brand names. Cheaper brands with unique styles more than likely have the same Chinese companies make them a unique wheel for a large order.

The two biggest issues with cheap wheels are 1) the stealing of the intellectual property of a "name brand" (which I won't even get in to because it's beating a long dead horse) and 2) the lack of consistency. You'll get tons of people saying they had Rotas (for instance) that cracked the first time they hit a pothole (or worse, sheared apart during an autocross or track race. It has happened.), and just as many people who've said they've had the same wheels for many years doing many of the same things and never had a problem. One batch of wheels may never have an issue, while another batch may be rife with internal metal issues that are easily overlooked, and yet both get sent out the door to the customer.

Chances are, if you buy a cheap wheel that you might have a problem. And chances are that you could buy a "name brand" and have it crack or have other issues. The problem is, one has been shown to have more issues than the other so why risk it? Peace of mind to me is worth the extra money.

- Patrick
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vostok 7
There are several brands that are "subsidiaries" or do work with Enkei. AME, Advan, Weds and I believe SSR are all made in Enkei factories. Enkei's biggest business is OEMs. You'd be surprised just how many OEM wheels out there are Enkei-made wheels that aren't branded in any way.

Other brands like XXR more than likely just pick wheels from a Chinese catalog and throw their stickers on them, which is why so many similar styles propagate across different brand names. Cheaper brands with unique styles more than likely have the same Chinese companies make them a unique wheel for a large order.

The two biggest issues with cheap wheels are 1) the stealing of the intellectual property of a "name brand" (which I won't even get in to because it's beating a long dead horse) and 2) the lack of consistency. You'll get tons of people saying they had Rotas (for instance) that cracked the first time they hit a pothole (or worse, sheared apart during an autocross or track race. It has happened.), and just as many people who've said they've had the same wheels for many years doing many of the same things and never had a problem. One batch of wheels may never have an issue, while another batch may be rife with internal metal issues that are easily overlooked, and yet both get sent out the door to the customer.

Chances are, if you buy a cheap wheel that you might have a problem. And chances are that you could buy a "name brand" and have it crack or have other issues. The problem is, one has been shown to have more issues than the other so why risk it? Peace of mind to me is worth the extra money.

- Patrick
well said
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Vostok, that made it clear.

Originally Posted by Vostok 7

- Patrick
Old Sep 2, 2011, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a set of Enkeis a few years ago and ran over a sandbag in a construction area. My car was pretty slammed, and the front right wheel actually came off the ground :O The wheel suffered no damage whatsoever. My front bumper was a little tore up, though.

Enkei, Advan, Rays, Work, Volk, SSR, BBS, and others are all quality wheels. Just because it's "JDM" doesn't mean it's necessarily awesome, though. Also, just because it's not crazy expensive doesn't mean it's a bad wheel, either. 949 Racing makes a pretty good wheel and they're affordable.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Sep 2, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if you guys want though wheels there is no competition with Speedline Corse . They are won 70 World championship[ and tested on the harshest environments from rally to F1
http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk/flowforming.htm
this is what you wont see and find in fake wheels manufacturing, just a look.

tarmac set up and works with a stock car:

Name:  2011-08-21152744.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.5 KB

for gravel, needs brake modifications(heavy modification)
Name:  P8210018.jpg
Size:  126.7 KB

you can not beat Speedline Corse in reliability and reputation. Where these wheels are in use , fake wheels wont less long.... Very very few guys tryed get away with cheap wheels and the results never was good :
example:
Name:  160214-larrys-lotus-photoblog-4-broken-rota-wheel_thumb-1-.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  5047877696_5458bde2ef_b.jpg
Size:  109.6 KB

if you want cheap wheels the stocker is unbeatable , in reliability and price. Spend a little more dont get fake wheels, there is a reason why people call them fake...

IMHO

ROb

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 2, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
a lot of good everyone contributed. I don't get why people think $2500 to $3k is a lot for wheels . $8k for HREs.... That's a different story. I'm not an elitest person but if you do research as to the amount of work Rays puts into their wheels, then you'll understand why they ask for the cost per wheel.

Very few companies actually show you the process they use to make their wheels. I,ve owned Enkei, Advan, Rotas, Volk and Work and have nothing but good things to say about each one of them. Rotas are very good for what you pay for them considering they are replicas. My favorite is still Volk, they have the most timeless original design that have been in the tuner JDM scene as well as professionally racing for a long time and offer a less expensive cast designs (Gram Lights) in nice original design. Prodrive is another great manufacturer who is also is a great quality wheel although cost the same as Volk and their wheels are now made by Rays.

Like someone else said, in time you'll get to know them (Volk)

Quick Reply: Real vs "Fake" wheels. Who manufactures what?