Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Road & Track from CBRD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011 | 11:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CBRD
most of the people that we put on the ohlins in the evo 8/9 platform have bilsteins- and it does make the ride quality feel massively improved-

the valving on the ohlins handles the spring rates wells-

Cheers

CB
you mean the stock Bilstein and stock spring combo? or stock billy's with an aftermarket spring? I've driven a 9MR with stock suspension, it didn't really ride any worse than my stock X GSR...
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

what the price on these bad boys?
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 09:26 AM

Are you on Hoosiers? I am thinking of Motons to run in ASP. But these are a bit friendlier to the wallet compared to the Motons. Not sure how these will handle the purple crack.

Last edited by iLuveKetchup; Nov 25, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011 | 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
what the price on these bad boys?
MSRP is $3449. PM Chad if your in the market to buy for a real price quote.
Old Nov 26, 2011 | 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup
Are you on Hoosiers? I am thinking of Motons to run in ASP. But these are a bit friendlier to the wallet compared to the Motons. Not sure how these will handle the purple crack.
Haven't hit up the Ho-hos yet on this set up. Hoosiers are so addicting and lets you get away with so much bad driving haha. Plan on it this season if my budget allows. I hated the fact that we got bumped up to ASP. I mean it really doesn't make that much of a difference, but now I gotta get a new A magnet, rendering my B magnet useless lol.

Back to all seriousness, I think it'll handle the Hoosiers just fine. With all the extra grip though, I'd guess you may have to get a stiffer spring rate (a lot of the Street Prepared guys are running around 800lbs to 1,000lbs), and probably a bigger rear bar for balance or more rotation.
Old Nov 26, 2011 | 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup
I am thinking of Motons to run in ASP. But these are a bit friendlier to the wallet compared to the Motons. Not sure how these will handle the purple crack.
If you had the extra money, Motons would be amazing. I'm sure CBRD can hook you up too or Brian Hanchey, since AST now owns Moton. But price wise, yea, not for the faint of heart. lol I debated building a ST or STS car, since the whole car could be done for the price of a good suspension on these Evo's
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 09:53 AM

Looks good!
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member
FCOTM Winner

Originally Posted by warmmilk
finally an honest opinion... I've always had a hard time believing coilovers with nearly triple the spring rate had stock ride quality...
I'm running an Ohlins suspension from Chad with a square 572lb rate (~10.2k) and as I was driving around last night I thought about this comment that I read earlier and honestly, compared to my suspension that I best remember (stock KYB struts with Hotchkis springs) these Ohlins do ride much better, even with the harder rates.

I'm not a suspension magician, but we obviously know that ride quality isn't just dictated by the spring, but also by the strut. It's not just resistance to compression (high rate spring) that makes a car feel bumpy or harsh, but also how the car rebounds after compression, and how that energy can oscillate back and forth after hitting a hard bump.

Hitting train tracks at speed (~35mph) that are a bit worn out on the KYB/Hotchkis setup was not only extremely loud, but the first dip into suspension compression was really aggressive. With the Ohlins setup I don't feel like I'm at home in a temperpedic bed, but I can tell you it does handle the same event (same tracks at the same speed) with much more composure.

I prefer the way my car rides much more with this suspension and I haven't had a single complaint from a passenger. This is also the first set of coilovers I have purchased as I never really liked the way my sibling's cars rode with coilovers.
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Boltz, I agree with you completely. There was a night and day difference in feeling of these coilovers, before and after they were properly aligned and adjusted. When people locally to me don't believe it, I take them for a ride and then they realize. For the people out there who don't believe how good these are or say otherwise, oh well, their loss.
Old Nov 30, 2011 | 01:20 PM

nice !!!
Old Nov 30, 2011 | 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

I wish someone had these locally so I could bug them for a ride...

I know that spring isn't the only factor, but it does play into it...
Old Nov 30, 2011 | 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Get in touch with VCMC (Vancouver Chinese Motorsports Club), home of the fastest autocrossers in the world. One of them might have Ohlins on an Evo or know of someone who does. It would be worth the trip to run with them, too. They are, by far, my favorite club.

Oh, and if you go, don't forget to marvel at their launch light. Tell them the guy would built it for them says "hi."
Old Nov 30, 2011 | 07:32 PM
EvoM Guru

^looks like they don't have anymore events for this year and i'll prolly forget by next season...
Old Nov 30, 2011 | 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

That's right. The winter events are run by the UBC club, not VCMC. nvm I'll remind you or drag you up to Van when I get there.
Old Dec 1, 2011 | 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

^sounds good

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road & Track from CBRD