Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Road & Track from CBRD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011 | 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Ohlins Road & Track from CBRD

Ordered a set of Ohlins Road & Track Dual Flow Valve Coilovers from Chad at CBRD! Although I was debating several different competitive brands, Chad had reassured me that these were the best out of the 3 I was comparing, and he was definitely right. He recommended a 10k front 10k rear set up and it feels great! The build quality of the Ohlins are top notch, as expected. After installing the coilovers and adjusting ride height, I corner balanced the car to make sure I would get the most out of the suspension.

Lightly testing the set up, the body roll is drastically eliminated and the car feels planted. You get so much more feedback from the road, all the while the Ohlins passes the wife test (she said the ride felt as comfortable as stock). There will be a autox in 2 weeks, where I can get a better feel for the setup at the limit. I might play with a 10k/12k set up in the future, but so far the 10/10 he recommended feels nice. I highly recommend Ohlins, especially from CBRD!

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03

By autoxer at 2011-10-03
Old Oct 3, 2011 | 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Looks to me as if they need helper springs. Is that correct?
Old Oct 3, 2011 | 08:43 PM
EvoM Guru

i'm sooo jealous... i wish i could afford these...

out of curiosity, what were the other brands you were considering?
Old Oct 3, 2011 | 10:15 PM

Wow, that's awesome. Lookin' good.
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Looks to me as if they need helper springs. Is that correct?
I was thinking that too at first, but there's so much range in height adjust-ability and where you can lock in the springs that there may not be a need for helper springs or tender springs. We'll see though. So far so good.
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
i'm sooo jealous... i wish i could afford these...

out of curiosity, what were the other brands you were considering?
Ohlins Road & Track DFV, AST 4100's, and JRZ RS were the 3. All 3 make great products, but I wanted a monotube so that eliminated the JRZ RS, which is a twin tube (JRZ RS Pro is a monotube but also cost a grand or two more). AST makes great products, especially for autox, but when I added all the additional stuff that the Ohlins already had (camber plates, rear shock mounts, custom springs) the price started to be as high as the Ohlins. And there were the AST 5000 series...which went over the price of the Ohlins....so Ohlins it was lol.

Plus it was highly recommended by two companies that really knew their suspension: CBRD and GTWorx/RCE.

Last edited by 4B11AWD; Oct 4, 2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Had these and loved them, but the "same as stock" statements need to stop. It's a noticeably stiffer ride even on full soft. And I had 10/7 spring rates which should technically be a bit more forgiving. They're coilovers. If you want the stock feel than stick with the stock suspension.

I can't tell you how many times I heard "Jesus. Riding in this car hurts my boobies."

It became a game. "How quickly can I get her **** to bounce out of her shirt?"

Last edited by slebo3213; Oct 4, 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slebo3213
Had these and loved them, but the "same as stock" statements need to stop. It's a noticeably stiffer ride even on full soft. And I had 10/7 spring rates which should technically be a bit more forgiving. They're coilovers. If you want the stock feel than stick with the stock suspension.

I can't tell you how many times I heard "Jesus. Riding in this car hurts my boobies."

It became a game. "How quickly can I get her **** to bounce out of her shirt."
Thats enough to sell me on these coilovers
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 06:42 AM
chu
Evolved Member

So, these are not some special CBRD-Spec Ohlins. Just another off the shelf set that Chad recommended a change of rear rates. Am I correct?

BTW, your car is pretty dawn low. Do you have the Whiteline RCA installed?
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 09:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chu
So, these are not some special CBRD-Spec Ohlins. Just another off the shelf set that Chad recommended a change of rear rates. Am I correct?

BTW, your car is pretty dawn low. Do you have the Whiteline RCA installed?
correct-

we dont revalve these- as we feel the stock valving offers the best compromise of street/track use with the chosen springs rates-

the RCA kit in my opinion isnt as necessary as most people say- more so on the 8/9-

the ohlins are fantastic-

------------------------------

to answer the questions above-

there is a massive amount of body height and spring static seat height adjustment in these dampers-

we play with the pre-load quite a bit on these setups when we are installing them here at the shop-

but it all kinds down to driver preference-

Cheers--

thanks for the feedback!

cb
Old Oct 4, 2011 | 09:03 AM

Sweet!
Old Oct 6, 2011 | 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by slebo3213

It became a game. "How quickly can I get her **** to bounce out of her shirt?"
finally an honest opinion... I've always had a hard time believing coilovers with nearly triple the spring rate had stock ride quality...
Old Oct 7, 2011 | 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice setup! My only worry with these for competition was lack of remotre reservoirs, but I guess they could cost another $500-$1000 if they had them.

I'm also considering AST 5200, JRZ RS Pro, or maybe trying the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 since the price is pretty fantastic, just not sure how they would stack up. I could always go back to the BC Racing ER series as I already have a rear set of spares.

Choices, choices... now to find a manufacturer that wants their coilovers on a One Lap car shooting for a third class win in a row.
Old Oct 7, 2011 | 08:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by warmmilk
finally an honest opinion... I've always had a hard time believing coilovers with nearly triple the spring rate had stock ride quality...
most of the people that we put on the ohlins in the evo 8/9 platform have bilsteins- and it does make the ride quality feel massively improved-

the valving on the ohlins handles the spring rates wells-

-------

There is not ANOTHER coilover setup on the market that I feel shares the ride quality of the ohlins-

JRZ has their new RS1 damper which is very nice- and should offer the ohlins some competition-

Remote Resevoirs can be just a marketing ploy on alot of cheap coilovers (we've seen alot of them lately) and the pillow ***** are junk, rattle, squeek, etc---

most of those are green in color

Cheers

CB
Old Oct 7, 2011 | 08:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Nice setup! My only worry with these for competition was lack of remotre reservoirs, but I guess they could cost another $500-$1000 if they had them.

I'm also considering AST 5200, JRZ RS Pro, or maybe trying the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 since the price is pretty fantastic, just not sure how they would stack up. I could always go back to the BC Racing ER series as I already have a rear set of spares.

Choices, choices... now to find a manufacturer that wants their coilovers on a One Lap car shooting for a third class win in a row.
eibachs use KW dampers-

again- I dont like the feel of their dampers- (unless its their MOTORSPORT setup)- because of the low speed lack of control-

AST now owns Moton- etc- and they make some very nice stuff-

but for self contained non remote amazing coilovers - I prefer the Ohlins-

CB

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road & Track from CBRD