Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How do you guys keep people from stealing nice wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwWKF-aAn9s
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

wake up every hour on the hour and check the whip.lol thats what I shoulve dont last weekend.then my whole passenger side got busted out but nothing stolen.thats awesome by the way^^
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:48 PM

wheel locks, insurance, alarm, gun. If someone wants your car bad enough man there gonna take it regardless. Dont live in fear, if it happens it happens.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:54 PM

springfield .40 cal also helps
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Or I you can just slam your car so low that there is no way they can get a jack under it

Really though, just don't leave your car in sketchy areas if you don't have too. I've never once worried about someone stealing my wheels, even though they're only rotas but still can easily be sold for decent change.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:09 PM

Insurance is a very good idea. I should do that for mine.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
Unfortunately sometimes I have to park the car overnight on the street or in parking decks, so it looks like I might need to upgrade the factory alarm and make sure that my insurance would cover aftermarket wheel theft.

Downtown Raleigh really isn't sketchy, but I've experienced some dbag's handiwork firsthand. One of them broke into at least 5 cars in a parking deck in broad daylight. Threw a brick through my girlfriend's M3 to get my valentine 1, so I'm kind of worried about having nice things. Only relatively comforting thing is that removing four wheels would take a little longer than a smash and grab.

You parking somewhere near NC State or what? There are some places that would be somewhat safe there.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Armando
wheel locks, insurance, alarm, gun. If someone wants your car bad enough man there gonna take it regardless. Dont live in fear, if it happens it happens.
That's basically the recipe I use. Although, the gun is only for if someone tries to take the car while I'm in it and they're armed. Make sure your alarm has a tilt sensor. If the car tilts more than a few degrees, the alarm goes off. Also, go to Harbor Freight and buy an air horn kit. Install it in one of the fenders or behind the bumper and tap into siren output right at the alarm. Don't try to piggy-back off of the siren wiring that's already in the engine bay, because that gets cut really quick. The air horns are insanely loud and you'll KNOW it's your alarm. No wondering if it's yours or the next guys car that's going off!

And you're right, they will take it if they want it. I had a Civic stolen while I was 1/2 way through an engine swap. They flatbedded it out, and I'm pretty sure they just wanted my Work Equips

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Nov 3, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

i use common sense and a Kimber TLE/RL 45. that being said if they want it they want it and your screwed. gl OP
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Wheel locks and a good security system.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:21 AM

Move to a safe area. If not then you'll just have to take your chances. Park in a safe location. Wheel locks to keep honest people honest. Also check to make sure your insurance will pay a claim for aftermarket parts.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:25 AM

Well at least you dont live near Gastonia on the other side of the state. A really good alarm system would be your first step (I know a guy that does great alarm systems near your area has proven himself many times). Lock lugs are not that great because if someone wants to steal something they are going to steal it. NC is getting bad for thefts these days unless you live in a smaller community.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I had locking lug nuts and factory alarm before mine were stolen. Once insurance covered the theft I had an alarm with a tilt sensor intalled and a key fob that lets me know if the car alarm get set off.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...ls-stolen.html

Name:  JulyEvoRun054.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  114.2 KB
Name:  JulyEvoRun057.jpg
Size:  132.5 KB
Name:  JulyEvoRun058.jpg
Size:  177.9 KB
new wheels
Name:  hr1.jpg
Size:  96.5 KB
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Move to a safe area. If not then you'll just have to take your chances. Park in a safe location. Wheel locks to keep honest people honest. Also check to make sure your insurance will pay a claim for aftermarket parts.
I've actually had more stuff stolen in nice areas than in bad areas. A career criminal knows that poor people don't have much worth stealing. They WILL drive to the nicer parts of town. And wheel locks are more about making the thieves job harder, than actually stopping them. Let's say you've got 18" TE37s and the guy down the street has 18"Rotas, but you've got locks and an alarm while the other dude doesn't. Guess who's more likely to get jacked? Sure, the payout is like 1/3rd (idk, don't know Rota prices), but your wheels are way harder to steal.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Nov 4, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDZNate
I had locking lug nuts and factory alarm before mine were stolen. Once insurance covered the theft I had an alarm with a tilt sensor intalled and a key fob that lets me know if the car alarm get set off.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...ls-stolen.html

new wheels
Damn thieves.

Quick Reply: How do you guys keep people from stealing nice wheels?