Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How do you guys keep people from stealing nice wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys keep people from stealing nice wheels?

I'm playing on picking up some nice wheels in the near future, but I'm worried about someone stealing them. How are you guys preventing someone from stealing your wheels? Some kind of special lugnuts?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wheel lock + insurance
Old Nov 1, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't go somewhere you think they will get stolen.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

We should all know by now wheel locks are only a slight inconvenience for thief's. If they want them....they shall have them....sucks.

I would suggest a quality alarm with tilt/angle sensor (so they can't tow it without tripping the alarm) and wheel locks for the visual deterrent.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

dont live in fear, else the terrorists win
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

I use all of the above... alarm, locks and the car is ALWAYS in the garage
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:16 AM

Unfortunately sometimes I have to park the car overnight on the street or in parking decks, so it looks like I might need to upgrade the factory alarm and make sure that my insurance would cover aftermarket wheel theft.

Downtown Raleigh really isn't sketchy, but I've experienced some dbag's handiwork firsthand. One of them broke into at least 5 cars in a parking deck in broad daylight. Threw a brick through my girlfriend's M3 to get my valentine 1, so I'm kind of worried about having nice things. Only relatively comforting thing is that removing four wheels would take a little longer than a smash and grab.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
Unfortunately sometimes I have to park the car overnight on the street or in parking decks, so it looks like I might need to upgrade the factory alarm and make sure that my insurance would cover aftermarket wheel theft.

Downtown Raleigh really isn't sketchy, but I've experienced some dbag's handiwork firsthand. One of them broke into at least 5 cars in a parking deck in broad daylight. Threw a brick through my girlfriend's M3 to get my valentine 1, so I'm kind of worried about having nice things. Only relatively comforting thing is that removing four wheels would take a little longer than a smash and grab.
I've parked on the street for extended periods (before the Evo). There was no way to win. It seemed like every day I came out to a new scratch or ding, the car was broken into twice with nothing inside. Mind you, this was car that cost ~$10K off the showroom floor. You're looking at $30K+ Evo and considering buying expensive wheels, then parking it on the street in an area with a proven record of break-ins. How does that make sense?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:31 AM

I guess it only makes sense if I'm willing to eat the cost of my insurance deductible due to something being stolen, which I am.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess it only makes sense if I'm willing to eat the cost of my insurance deductible due to something being stolen, which I am.
Then what is this thread about?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:35 AM

I actually didn't think about wheels being covered by insurance until TougeGod7 mentioned it. So this thread was about me asking a question and getting an excellent answer almost immediately. Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Garage. If I drove a car that actively needed worrying about then I'd make my first priority renting or buying a place that had a garage.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

wheels locks, alarm, and keep it in the garage...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

I actually didn't think about wheels being covered by insurance until TougeGod7 mentioned it. So this thread was about me asking a question and getting an excellent answer almost immediately. Thanks everyone!
also, if your wheel get stolen tell insurance your car came with the factory bbs regardless if you have aftermarket rims on it or not
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chebosto
dont live in fear, else the terrorists win
haha i like this ^^ mans thinking! for the OP, the only thing i can think of is put a wheel lock nut on every stud every rim. trust me the theaf wont have enough time to steal the wheels having to break all those nuts off! it will probly cost you 200 in lock nuts though.

Quick Reply: How do you guys keep people from stealing nice wheels?