Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with Rota Grid's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
Personally, I already have the cash for some TE37's and I absolutely love that wheel..

..but, the roads around here have been horrible the past few years, and they're just getting worse (guess the state is broke, and just randomly patching spots). My stock GSR Enkei's are already looking trashed after 2 years use (bent lip in multiple spots).

Would forged Volks hold up that much better than the stock cast Enkei's?

I'd probably cry if I dropped that much on wheels and just trashed them daily-driving on poorly maintained roads.
Any wheel can get messed up and bent. If you are worried about them, why not buy some RPF-1s and some Rotas and have them both. You can rock the Rotas on the streets and RPF1s at the track. and you will still spend less money on wheels than if you buy Volks.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
Personally, I already have the cash for some TE37's and I absolutely love that wheel..

..but, the roads around here have been horrible the past few years, and they're just getting worse (guess the state is broke, and just randomly patching spots). My stock GSR Enkei's are already looking trashed after 2 years use (bent lip in multiple spots).

I'd probably cry if I dropped that much on wheels and just trashed them daily-driving on poorly maintained roads.
Yes. Forged wheels are a lot stronger than cast.

Originally Posted by ak47m203
...the answer is no. you can spend 5grand on those super forged wheels but you can't beat road hazard. the only thing that will is the old steel wheels which we don't use anymore.
Physics and metallurgy say otherwise. Forged wheels are a lot stronger than cast. There's also multiple ways of forging or casting, and some are stronger than others. Materials also play a big factor.

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Any wheel can get messed up and bent. If you are worried about them, why not buy some RPF-1s and some Rotas and have them both. You can rock the Rotas on the streets and RPF1s at the track. and you will still spend less money on wheels than if you buy Volks.
Or he can buy some Volks and RPF1s. If he's already got enough cash for TE37s, then he could get some TE37SLs and probably still be able to get the RPF1s. Or he could order the TE37SLs and be more careful about the roads. Or order some Weds, JLINEs, SSR, or any of the other affordable QUALITY wheels.

OP: If you're worried about how bad the roads are in your city, then avoid cast wheels if possible. If you can't justify spending the money on forged wheels then at least pick up some high quality cast wheels. If you really want some nice wheels but don't want to drop all the cash on something that might get beat up, then order some used wheels. I know a few sites with good deals.

Other than the fact that Rota doesn't offer a single original design, and is therefore completely stealing their designs, there's also the quality control issue. I've seen rotas last years on the track and street... But I cracked a BRAND NEW Rota within 2 months of them being bought, and the 1st month... the car was driven literally less than 20 miles. I bought a car that had Rota Slipstreams (Spoon SW388 knock off), and he had just finished the build. Had a receipt for the wheels and tires from my friends shop and everything. About 3 weeks into owning the car, I hit a pothole and the rim cracked bad enough to lose all tire pressure within a few miles. The pothole wasn't even bad. This isn't some internet forum 3rd hand info, I experienced it 1st hand.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my rotas at all. I've run over curbs, concrete parking stops, and plenty of potholes with no issues.

If you can afford to buy nice wheels (I personally like Works and Volk) then that is definitely the way to go. If your on a budget there is nothing wrong with the Rota Grids.

How many people on this forum in a 2008-2012 Evo X have had their Rota Grids crack or break. I haven't heard of one.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

honestly it has nothing to do with rotas quality they had a bad batch but from what ive heard they have improved its just why support a company that rips off of other company's hard work and creativity. As long as there "knock" offs they will seem just like some Chinese company making "hi-phones" to me and ill never support that
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:20 PM

So Rota's are ok for basic street driving, but no good for autocross or track days??
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justin81
I haven't had any issues with my rotas at all. I've run over curbs, concrete parking stops, and plenty of potholes with no issues.

If you can afford to buy nice wheels (I personally like Works and Volk) then that is definitely the way to go. If your on a budget there is nothing wrong with the Rota Grids.

How many people on this forum in a 2008-2012 Evo X have had their Rota Grids crack or break. I haven't heard of one.
You drive an Evo, not a tank. Simmer down with the 4x4 action

Originally Posted by guswaym
honestly it has nothing to do with rotas quality they had a bad batch but from what ive heard they have improved its just why support a company that rips off of other company's hard work and creativity. As long as there "knock" offs they will seem just like some Chinese company making "hi-phones" to me and ill never support that
This is one of the biggest issues I have with them, and for supporting the people who actually come up with the designs. Rota is a Filipino company, though.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

I think it was the Rota Italia when I was young....I saw them a lot with Toyota cars.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:31 PM

We used Rota wheels this season for Touring Car competition in a Civic. We chose Rotas because they were the only ones with the size and offset available (15x8, 35ET) and also lightweight. During the season, we broke almost 8 wheels during racing competition and not in accidents, etc. Typical breakage include the face (spokes) separating from the rim and hub separation from wheel. Tires used were full slicks with stiff low profile sidewall. There are some examples of Mazdas in World Challenge that experienced this type of breakage at Laguna Seca when the car was driven through the corkscrew. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. However, budgets will always dictate what you can buy. The quality of Rotas is indeed not up to par with a true wheel manufacturer with R&D and racing heritage.

The majority of drivers will not "stress" these wheels for DD or even some events at autocross or tracking, as most don't drive hard enough to do so. Not because they can't drive, but usually the tires used limit this ability. Hitting potholes, curbs, etc are not proper tests that can indicate wheel quality or strength. Hot temps from constant and hard braking, high g's in corners, downhill and uphills and then constantly repeated, like those experienced in road racing, definitely highlights a wheel's quality.

Using Rotas with your avg street tire will probably be good enough for almost all consumers in that case, as there are probably no reported incidents of breakage. If you run a competition tire like a semi or full slick, run aggressive\racing brake pads, then you probably won't be buying Rotas anyways.

So if you want Rotas, go ahead and get them. If you go to competition, I recommend running your stock/oem wheels; can't go wrong with those.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KechMe
So Rota's are ok for basic street driving, but no good for autocross or track days??
I use mine for DD, autox, and track days. I have 2 sets of rotas. 18x9.5 Torques for DD and 18x10 DPTs for autox and track. But like I said if you can afford the real deal it's the way to go. Nothing beats the real thing period. I'm just a broke *** trying to race on a single income and I got great deals on both sets used. Like others have said it's all about your budget.

That being said if you are buying rotas new for $300 more that the grids you can have a set of RPF1s. They aren't the toughest wheels out there but they are light and look awesome and do well at the track. I will be getting a set when I start road racing more than autoxing.

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
You drive an Evo, not a tank. Simmer down with the 4x4 action
I know I feel so bad for the car. I really beat on her sometimes.

Last edited by justin81; Dec 28, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Oke < i have to highlight it < i do not talking against Rotas for DD.
But to say nothing is wrong with them is a bold statement. Just a simple fact i didnt see them being proven. Proven means, hardcore race teams using it - recommending it based they own experience, vigorously tested in real life. Not in a lab etc. Lab testing are awesome, but they tend to be proven wrong too many times ...

Rotas are good for DD, if i would get rotas for free, i might would try how they holds up in rally for me. ( so my bad feelings would be proven wrong about racing them. LOL )

But still is a risky business for me, My car is not exactly cheap and to risk that for something unproven. Oh well , i still would like to see in first person how they do really. I know what i am using now in the last two years, i drove off a tire from one wheel , i drove 10 miles in half speed with on the rims , and still using then same rims today... etc.
Not to mention the fact not one of my wheel is balanced (with weights), as they dont supposed to be
My rims are not super expensive, specially if you compere to them to Rotas, but they are limited in design and sizes. They make them for a specific purpose, they do they own designs, and testing before they sell them. There for they knowledge - products are better so as the manufacturing . It is no brainier why. That is all true all the companies who design and testing they own products and they proven in the race world. Like Enkei etc.

In the copy business a lots of mistake can and does happen, simply because you copy the end product, and you dont know how you actually got there...

here is a difference between the strength and safety:
volks CE28's -with a very hard hit on the wheel:
Name:  IMAGE_099.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  EVoend-14-1.jpg
Size:  213.5 KB

and the rotas obviously not a same strength hit
(my opinion the car should hump over the curve if the wheel would be strong enough, or the tire would pop off. It is not a Rally tire with a super strong side wall. But even then...

Braking wheels are not an option in racing or in my opinion at all. Bending wheels are the route you want to go. That is why even steel wheels are sometimes not a bad options ( off roading)

Name:  160214-larrys-lotus-photoblog-4-broken-rota-wheel_thumb-1-.jpg
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  5047877696_5458bde2ef_b.jpg
Size:  109.6 KB

Even in casting is a real differences... never mind forging...

Rob

PS< i can see the place for the Rotas too in the market, but i do not think they should be addressed as a problem free wheels, implanting they are just as good as the original or higher end wheels (if they are not copied)... Also i do agree with that comment, they are probably the best fake wheels compare to others.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 28, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by KechMe
i think they are fine/ safe, for those who do not track they car hard. Specially if they do not run hard core set ups.

I would not worry actually in Daily driving, i would say i would worry more about put whole damages with unnoticeable cracks etc, and then going to the track... With autoX i cant really see the problem , it is a very slow speed race.

I am sure you heard about pre damages. when the product is damaged already (from some over stress) its invisible yet, but when the failure occurs everyone is wondering how this is happen? Maybe they dont even remember the real cause what is started the whole chain reaction. Like a good example for everyone is the over revved engine.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 28, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:59 PM

Pay to play!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

It all depends on how you take care of your rims. I have some gramslights 57 series for about three years now and just found out one crack on the inside at mostly regular driving. The other three needs to be repair cause they bounce at high speed which balancing can't be fix. Just take care of the rims is what I'm saying..
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:01 PM

If you're a baller then spend $3,000 on a set of Volk's, otherwise get the Rota's for $1,000.

There is nothing wrong with Rota's as far as wheels go. JDM ****** are mad because Rota wheels are similar to Volk's in design. Rota is still in business and haven't been sued by Volk so I don't see how they are doing anything wrong.

Honestly though, do you JDM guys always buy name brand items? When you go grocery shopping? Clothes shopping? Etc.? Do you really care then when you are paying less for a house brand?

Volks = Forged = Stronger/Lighter = Expensive
Rota = Cast = Weaker/Heavier = Less Expensive

I've had Advan, Enkei, AME and Rota. Honestly I don't think I will ever spend $3,000+ on a set of wheels again. Not when I can get similar wheels for 1/3 of the price. I can sacrifice the weight difference. If I was tracking the Evo on a daily/weekly basis then I would invest in forged wheels. For a daily, it's not really worth it.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFD

volks are forged wheels so they are basically much stronger than the stock cast enkei's. if i were you i'd buy a volk. you can still put back the stock enkei's every now and then.

Quick Reply: Problems with Rota Grid's