Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with Rota Grid's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to OP powder coat that enkie with gloss black, it will look good except for the offset then buy something you really want regardless of price as long as you really like it.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaceman
If you're a baller then spend $3,000 on a set of Volk's, otherwise get the Rota's for $1,000.

There is nothing wrong with Rota's as far as wheels go. JDM ****** are mad because Rota wheels are similar to Volk's in design. Rota is still in business and haven't been sued by Volk so I don't see how they are doing anything wrong.

Honestly though, do you JDM guys always buy name brand items? When you go grocery shopping? Clothes shopping? Etc.? Do you really care then when you are paying less for a house brand?

Volks = Forged = Stronger/Lighter = Expensive
Rota = Cast = Weaker/Heavier = Less Expensive

I've had Advan, Enkei, AME and Rota. Honestly I don't think I will ever spend $3,000+ on a set of wheels again. Not when I can get similar wheels for 1/3 of the price. I can sacrifice the weight difference. If I was tracking the Evo on a daily/weekly basis then I would invest in forged wheels. For a daily, it's not really worth it.
There are a lot more quality wheels out there then a $3k dollar Volks... stop this stupid argument... its getting old.
Fact is Rotas are not that cheap compere some of the great quality wheels ... been discussed that subject many many times... my wheels cost around $1200... and the company has so far 69 world or more championship... so the rota cheap for a $1000 ? LOL

And so on so forth.

Rotas they are whay they are. Cheap copy of the more expensive wheels,period. Therefore they made those who wants to show, but cant or dont want to afford the real deal.
There is no way around it.
The best proof is the road they chosen about the design they pick. Copy the most expensive wheels, otherwise who would buy them?
Its not a rocket scinece. Dont try to glorify your purchase with some bashing the original developer and they shopper.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 29, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Or he could order the TE37SLs and be more careful about the roads.
45-min commute, and I've memorized every pothole, patch, swell and crack.. some of it is just unavoidable

Anyway, thanks for the cast vs forged info.. are the regular TE37s much stronger than the Super Laps, or about the same?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
Personally, I already have the cash for some TE37's and I absolutely love that wheel..

..but, the roads around here have been horrible the past few years, and they're just getting worse (guess the state is broke, and just randomly patching spots). My stock GSR Enkei's are already looking trashed after 2 years use (bent lip in multiple spots).

Would forged Volks hold up that much better than the stock cast Enkei's?

I'd probably cry if I dropped that much on wheels and just trashed them daily-driving on poorly maintained roads.
Hey I rather have a bent lip on a Volk than a shatter wheel on a Rota. Pick your poison

Here's a pic showing how strong the spoke design on the Volk is. This wheel is probably repairable as it's just the lip that is bent which you can unbend back. If the spokes crack then it's non-repairable.

Last edited by raytrix; Dec 29, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

I dunno who the heck told u Rota's were whack wheels or where u read that but there's nothing wrong with the Grids!!!!Mine have no issues at all!!!!Besides I hate it when ppl say that the Grids r knock offs of the TE-37s or any other brand...If u put the Grids and Volks together THEY LOOK DIFFERENT!!!Now if got Volk money,by all means get them,but the Grids r just fine!!!!I personally think my Grids look better then the TE-37s anyway!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by raytrix
Hey I rather have a bent lip on a Volk than a shatter wheel on a Rota. Pick your poison

Here's a pic showing how strong the spoke design on the Volk is. This wheel is probably repairable as it's just the lip that is bent which you can unbend back. If the spokes crack then it's non-repairable.

there is no way anyone would fix that wheel. That is destroyed.
But it did a job, it hold it together
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
There are a lot more quality wheels out there then a $3k dollar Volks... stop this stupid argument... its getting old.
Fact is Rotas are not that cheap compere some of the great quality wheels ... been discussed that subject many many times... my wheels cost around $1200... and the company has so far 69 world or more championship... so the rota cheap for a $1000 ? LOL

And so on so forth.

Rotas they are whay they are. Cheap copy of the more expensive wheels,period. Therefore they made those who wants to show, but cant or dont want to afford the real deal.
There is no way around it.
The best proof is the road they chosen about the design they pick. Copy the most expensive wheels, otherwise who would buy them?
Its not a rocket scinece. Dont try to glorify your purchase with some bashing the original developer and they shopper.

Rob
What the hell are you trying to say?!

First you state Rota wheels aren't cheap and then a paragraph later you are saying they are cheap! Confused?

Obviously there are more expensive wheels than Volk, I think we all know that.

Rota and Volk are similar in design that is why people shop and compare both.

Bottom line is both wheels are just that wheels. If you got the money for forged get Volk. Want cast? Save money and get Rota.

Last edited by Spaceman; Dec 30, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy what you like and stop worrying what other people think. Some like to think because they have Volks they're balln... If you were balln you'd be driving a GTR

Last edited by Alpha X; Dec 30, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Rotas are fine (I've tracked some with no issues, but I'm not hard core).
Enkei made wheels are better and not much more money but they don't have as many cool designs.
If you can afford better, more power too you, but unless you are hard core racer, you will be fine with Rotas.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

these types of threads **** me off. if the rims were really that bad they wouldn't be sold, or half the people wouldn't have them if they were that risky. its all started by the super expensive wheel fanboys who are upset because you have a replica wheel for half the price. every wheel breaks,cracks,bends etc…im sure if you search hard enough youll find a broken te-37 and so on.a wheel is a wheel, people should relax.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I used rots slipstreamed on my teg for 10 years without a single problem. Been running the grids for almost 3 years on the Evo and no complaints.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

if i can afford it, only one for me...it's classic and yet it is still modern.

Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotas work fine. I even used the orange rotas for my own track time after GST was done with them, and I've had no issues.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An Evo X is worth 28,000-35,000... Why not spend the extra money and get QUALITY wheels.

You also need to think about how DD has more stress on a wheel and suspension than almost any track. Surface streets and highways have crappy paved roads, tracks are smooth and well kept and maintained.

SPEND THE EXTRA $400 FOR ENKEI WHEELS AT LEAST! Its worth it....
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
An Evo X is worth 28,000-35,000... Why not spend the extra money and get QUALITY wheels.

You also need to think about how DD has more stress on a wheel and suspension than almost any track. Surface streets and highways have crappy paved roads, tracks are smooth and well kept and maintained.

SPEND THE EXTRA $400 FOR ENKEI WHEELS AT LEAST! Its worth it....
Owned both I like the piece of mind in knowing a new wheel isn't gonna cost me 1k, I don't have to worry about my wheels getting stolen and Enkei does not make one design I like. So no not worth it...

Maybe you should stick to taking care of your customers people might actually buy from you again. Ahh maybe not

Quick Reply: Problems with Rota Grid's