Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with Rota Grid's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:14 AM
olo
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wow Gruppe-S really went down to ****ter.

I've never had issues with my rotas. But to each their own If u can afford JDM baller overpriced wheels go ahead. I have roraP45r as my winter wheel and have no issues what so ever and temperatures hit as low as -35 C here. I also have advan RG-d wheels for summer and one thing i gotta say Rotas definetly put more paint on their wheels then advan
Old Jan 2, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Tenzo Tracers? (Specifically V1) They look like Rota GTR/P45R's.

I'm really contemplating buying a set. I like the all flat black 5 spoke wheel look, and with what I've heard about Rotas, I question the quality of Tenzo now...
Thanks for any input.

http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...%2Dtawtr11885b
Old Jan 2, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Anybody heard or looked at the XXR 521??? I was looking at those too
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I think Tenzo will be heavier than Rota.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:08 AM

for me it's a matter of cost; i'm trying to buy a house/condo right now so i won't mind trying out some rotas for the time being. i love autocrossing and do kart racing as well (anyone else been to F1 Boston outdoors and indoors?).

ps i love this car. I came from an E46 M3 to the EVO X and it feels like having sex without a condom for the first time. completely awesome driving experience.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

i just learned that the GST time attack car beats the Coob GTR time attack car by 3seconds using Rota Gridd. Jeremy of SSP(most powerful MR has it too but will use it on the next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock?
What wheels were you running at VIR? those Rota's?

No.....ISS Decided to hold my Rota's hostage and didn't send them in time for me to run during the race. So I had to run the ISS wheels (hmmm, wonder why) Long story short the wheels were fine for the race but had to run spacers in order for them to clear my coil overs. They got all messed up from gravel and rubber everywhere. Now since the race is over they shipped my Rotas back right away...imagine that,lol.

I'll have the ISS Rims refinished, then I'll be putting them up for sale. I'm well aware that the Rota or XXR wheels are going to be heavier then my current set up, but I cant afford to damage 6k wheels every race. And I definitally cant afford 2 sets for a full race season. I could either have 6 sets of Rota Grids, or 12 sets of XXR wheels for the price of 1 set of my current set up.
dyno run on rota...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKD8w...ayer_embedded#!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i know GST and other Red line ta cars runs it. I think a SRT- 4 for sure.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:22 PM

Don't understand why people hate Rota so much when companies are running them on their race car setups like GST. I have advans and gramlights. Any wheel is going to get dented/bent when you hit a pothole hard enough. I am planning to get some Rota Grids in the future rather than a TE37 setup. I can't imagine daily driving your car and bending a nice set of wheels. You could even get some super expensive carbon fiber wheel, but who would want to drive on them unless they are show cars.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Personally i dont hate rota, what i dont like is the people who stating and bashing the original developer wheels. Also stating there is no better also prooven wheels out there for a close price range... and above all denying the fact, which is a reason why they got them. LOL.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

it's like this....apple started the 1st iphone then all the rest did the same.....apple started an ipad.....then the rest did the same......icloud......then and so on....
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:31 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47m203
it's like this....apple started the 1st iphone then all the rest did the same.....apple started an ipad.....then the rest did the same......icloud......then and so on....
Kind of a bad analogy.. almost everything Apple has ever done, has been a rip-off of someone else's idea.

Nokia & Samsung were making high-end smartphones many years before the iPhone.. Apple just happened to popularize it in the US. Same with the iPod, iPad, iTunes, etc.

But yeah, I do understand your point
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Kind of a bad analogy.. almost everything Apple has ever done, has been a rip-off of someone else's idea.

Nokia & Samsung were making high-end smartphones many years before the iPhone.. Apple just happened to popularize it in the US. Same with the iPod, iPad, iTunes, etc.

But yeah, I do understand your point
exactly like what rays engineering did. they developed a better/superior wheels by forging.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man you guys hit hard with these ROTA discussions...

Lots of people here in Trinidad and Tobago run knockoff wheels: some you all probably never heard before... EG "Zigla" and "Daca"

So far I haven't heard anyone have issues... even with rota wheels. There's a guy who has a S15 with Rota Grids that does a lot of drifting (though not race event, more shows and displays) and they held up so far.

Granted I want Advan RS wheels for my EVO, I can't begin to pay $26000.00 here for em (yes customs and import duties basically raise our stuff by 10%)

The whole deal is states side, ROTAS are cheaper and they have the offsets, color and sizes that people want. Agreed they are replicas and agreed you can buy used wheels or even Enkeis for cheaper, but it all in what someone wants that they will not have...

Advans/ volks etc resale value is still quite high and that is expected... many still can't afford these unless it's a good 7 years down the line...

Enkei or whichever is a better wheel don't have the color WITH the sizes in the designs you may want. Perhaps if the companies increase their color options as well as offsets for sizes people would go after them more.

That being said If I have the choice I'd buy Advans personally, but if I got a set of Rota G force wheels i'd use them as well.

Instead of the dramas, (and the weds emergency video) Perhaps someone should make a video with three identical heavy cars: one with brand forged, one cast and one on replicas. Put the wheel through some tests:

- pothole test at speed

- curb test at speed

- skidpan testing with occasional switching to opposite direction

- track test for say 10 laps... hard corners braking and sweeping bends...

I bet that video would go viral.

Last edited by MISHI; Jan 18, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if these cracked/broken rota threats are serious, but it sure as hell costs alot less to replace one of them if that were to happen.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Found out that the AMS drag car is with.....

15" Rota Wheels w/ Mickey Thomson ET Drag Slicks (drag setup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLCRuoMe74

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/f...-drag-evo.html

Last edited by ak47m203; Feb 14, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Problems with Rota Grid's