Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with Rota Grid's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironic thread. I recently cracked one of my Rota Grids 18 9.5 20mm. Ordered a set of Volk TE37SLs. Never buying cast wheels again. If anyone needs a single Rota wheel replacement of this spec, I have 3 available in decent condition. PM me for a price. Gold color.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keeferd
Ironic thread. I recently cracked one of my Rota Grids 18 9.5 20mm. Ordered a set of Volk TE37SLs. Never buying cast wheels again. If anyone needs a single Rota wheel replacement of this spec, I have 3 available in decent condition. PM me for a price. Gold color.
pics?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Story behind the fracture? This is the sort of thing that accomplishes or proves nothing. If you hit a pot hole going 70 MPH any wheel can break.

Pics and story please. I am sure you were just not driving through the school zone and you heard a loud crack noise.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

ur post is 6? humm i woudnt rely on ur info .. and no story behind this incident .. = unbelievable

Last edited by SniperwolF; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SniperwolF
ur post is 6? humm i woudnt rely on ur info .. and no story behind this incident .. = unbelievable
I was thinking the same thing.. This was his 6th post and he hasn't logged back in to the forum since making that post.. Sounds fishy
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:45 PM

Since this is a rota thread i would like any clue on where to get them cheap. I'd like to have some 18 X 9.5 + 2- rota grids but the cheapest i found is 1k for a set of 4 and I will have 200+ shipping cost since im in canada
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chincster
We used Rota wheels this season for Touring Car competition in a Civic. We chose Rotas because they were the only ones with the size and offset available (15x8, 35ET) and also lightweight. During the season, we broke almost 8 wheels during racing competition and not in accidents, etc. Typical breakage include the face (spokes) separating from the rim and hub separation from wheel. Tires used were full slicks with stiff low profile sidewall. There are some examples of Mazdas in World Challenge that experienced this type of breakage at Laguna Seca when the car was driven through the corkscrew. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. However, budgets will always dictate what you can buy. The quality of Rotas is indeed not up to par with a true wheel manufacturer with R&D and racing heritage.

The majority of drivers will not "stress" these wheels for DD or even some events at autocross or tracking, as most don't drive hard enough to do so. Not because they can't drive, but usually the tires used limit this ability. Hitting potholes, curbs, etc are not proper tests that can indicate wheel quality or strength. Hot temps from constant and hard braking, high g's in corners, downhill and uphills and then constantly repeated, like those experienced in road racing, definitely highlights a wheel's quality.

Using Rotas with your avg street tire will probably be good enough for almost all consumers in that case, as there are probably no reported incidents of breakage. If you run a competition tire like a semi or full slick, run aggressive\racing brake pads, then you probably won't be buying Rotas anyways.

So if you want Rotas, go ahead and get them. If you go to competition, I recommend running your stock/oem wheels; can't go wrong with those.
This is the most useful comment in this whole entire thread.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:41 PM

I have rota grids now (bought the car used with the wheels about a year ago), no problems. On my previous car I have weds sport wheels and ended up bending one of the wheels On the car before that I had some motegi wheels (also came with the wheel), I bent 2 of those (separate incidents). The roads around here suck, and I am the world's most paranoid driver when it comes to pot holes because every time I bend a wheel it seems that it has just been discontinued and it's always a pain to replace. At this point I love the look of the grids, if I break/bend one it is cheap and easy to find a replacement which I love. Really my only issue with them is that they a little on the heavy side...but maybe that is what makes them stong (imho).

When I've finished all the other mods I want to do to my car I might thin about replacing the wheels with the TE37's the the grids are clearly knock offs of, but that would again be only for the weight savings, and even then, I would be weary because if one of those got damaged, they cost so much to replace.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:05 PM

I use to think Rotas were ****-tier wheels, after 3 full seasons of winter, beating them up every opportunity, they are banged up, tore up, but not bent or fractured. They are now on my mid-tier list. G-forces 18x9.

I also slam into potholes going like 50ish regularly, they hold up fine. But I also run more tire than most folks, no rubber bands here.

Now them discounttire wheels, I went through like 6 of them a year. But I knew what I was getting into with those.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

I used to be a name brand wheel guy. Would I of bought a Rota rim 10 years ago? Nope!
Today... not so much. Rota is perfectly fine for your average Daily Drive and weekend track days. I have them on all my cars now and I doubt I'd spend another 3k on a set of volks.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:16 PM
B^t

Rota rims for daily driving works perfectly fine.."""
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:23 PM

i dont know about any other rota products but my rota grid is fine. Had it for 3 years and holding strong here in jersey roads... my stock wheels didnt last a year, dented 1 wheel which causes a vibration above 80mph. That's the main reason i bought new rims.
You should really based your decision on some key questions that you should ask your self.
1) Do peoples opinion hurt your feelings? if so then pick a name brand.
2) Do u want a peace of mind knowing that the part you bought is stronger in paper(not knowing how stronger being it cannot be measured perfectly) For example, how much more force would it take to break a rota grid vs te-37 or whatever. Only way to find out is running the same car with both tires on the same pot holes with the same weather and same speed. Then gradually increasing speeds until one breaks and keep testing the other until it breaks also. Well i'm no engineer so dont take my word for it.
3) do u prefer your rims to shatter or bend?
4)do you have alot of money or prefer to make every penny count?

This is my answers based on MY opinions to those questions:
1) Not really... i have an evo not an exotic car. If I have a lambo then i wouldn't put a rota on it...
2)uhmmm peace of mind is always good... but depends on how much are you willing to pay for it. Right now, there aren't much complaints about rota grids or any rota wheels in the evo x community. I dont know about their history (it's always good to know), but i'm more concerned of the here and now. Right now their doing a good job for me (except the chipped paint, some of it is my fault).
3)i dont know... since i have had no experiences with it. I could imagine hitting a pothole with that much force would do more damage to the car even if the rims shatters or bends. THen again, i'm no engineer or knowledgeable with the scenario. But riddle me this, if the rims shatters the cars continue to slide until it hit something or stops, on the other hand, rims bending with this much force would probably break an axle or more. THe good thing about bending i guess is it will decrease ur speed alot more than shattering??? Pick ur poison i guess.
4)I dont have alot of money to spend... so if i save money from certain parts that most likely will work (there's not much complain about the rota grid so far). If i have money though ofcourse i'd buy a good looking brand named wheel. For my evo, i dont know anything that looks better than the rota grid though unless i do some modification such us fender rolling etc. Btw, the only thing that the rota grid and te37 similar is the concave look? If everyone is so concerned about similar appearance of rims i'd say everyone stole the design of the original creator of rims.... everyone stole the shape, ROUND!!! For everyone that says rota copied XXXX styles then let them handle it... they can always sue them if they really stole their design .

Word of advice though, dont take any of my words for it. Hahahaha