Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Problems with Rota Grid's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Rota Grid's

So I really want a pair of Rota Grid's however when I look them up I always come upon some horror stories about how cheap Rota rims are and that they just "break". Is this for real or are the pics I've seen b/c the ppl more than likely hit pot holes and curbs etc?! Last thing I want is to be tracking my car and the damned rim to break or fall off or anything else. Any input or other nice rims that aren't ball busting prices. Yes I still drool over the TE-37SL's!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:45 PM

Yup rotas suck. I wouldn't recommend them. You get what you pay for.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

i heard that too,i searched about it in some subie forum, those pictures/internet stories don't do justice at all. the wheels will not just explode while using it daily on street. most of the installer said they have seen many expensive branded(enkie,bbsadvan etc) with the same scenario. those broken rota was due to accident and driver errors. rota was used as oem by toyota or even benz. it was used in time attack too and won.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

this is a long thread to read....

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-tires...heels-bad.html

Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

There's not a damn thing wrong with Rotas. Anybody who says otherwise is just a JDM snob.

Companies have successfully been making knockoffs of EVERYTHING ever since the dawn of the industrial revolution. Get over it; it's called a competitive, open market.

As far as quality is concerned, I would rank Rota's right below Enkei, and way above other knock-off wheels marketed in the US.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

to OP....

http://www.rotawheels.com/process.shtml

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheeltest.shtml
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ak47m203
A very smart man made that thread, nearly two years ago hehe

I am now rocking Rota Grids on my Evo, and have ZERO complaints. Looks better than the TE37s IMO, more concave, and saved me $3000, which is now going to make my car have nearly 400whp. I don't hate it.

BTW Rota's are more than fine, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot, and is still probably rocking the stock wheels. IMO it is dumb to fork over $4k for Volks on a car that is daily driven. Gotta love the morons though, first post on the website is " rotas suck"

Last edited by HAHAV8; Dec 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive had my Rota grids for about 70000 miles without issues ! I have also hit huge potholes that damaged the tires and did nothing at all to the wheels !
If hit hard enough any wheels will crack ! Theres some stock Enkie wheels at the shop that broke a huge piece off the wheel , another friend had some Work wheels that cracked and completely fell apart !
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I had Rota Grids on my evo 10 for about a year. They were stolen and I replaced them with Rays Gram Lights 57D's. The Grids worked well and didn't break in half. Would I buy them again? No. The reason being is you can buy a set of Enkei RPF1's for a few hundred more than the Rotas and you don't have to worry about the stigma of rocking knock off wheels.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:52 PM

Woah. Watch out who u call a moron or an idiot, I didn't mean to offend you if you own rotas. But did u notice that baumbizzle said he wants to be tracking the car? Rotas are a really really weak wheel I wouldn't recommend them for tracking at all. I've had friends with rotas on hondas that work just fine but putting the evos AWD power and torque stress on that wheel wouldn't be a good idea. Now if it was just a casual DD then yes but on the track I'd pass and get some RPF1's instead for a few hundred more.

Last edited by CounterConcept; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

so how heavy is what you call heavy? GST Motorsport used them...Rota Grid wt 18x9.5 +20 model is 22.5 lbs

http://www.gstmotorsports.com/home/i...d=35&Itemid=28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzoPY...layer_embedded

Last edited by ak47m203; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

40,000$ car 400$ wheels why not ?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just save up and buy the original.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davey111483
just save up and buy the original.
Personally, I already have the cash for some TE37's and I absolutely love that wheel..

..but, the roads around here have been horrible the past few years, and they're just getting worse (guess the state is broke, and just randomly patching spots). My stock GSR Enkei's are already looking trashed after 2 years use (bent lip in multiple spots).

Would forged Volks hold up that much better than the stock cast Enkei's?

I'd probably cry if I dropped that much on wheels and just trashed them daily-driving on poorly maintained roads.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Personally, I already have the cash for some TE37's and I absolutely love that wheel..

..but, the roads around here have been horrible the past few years, and they're just getting worse (guess the state is broke, and just randomly patching spots). My stock GSR Enkei's are already looking trashed after 2 years use (bent lip in multiple spots).

Would forged Volks hold up that much better than the stock cast Enkei's?

I'd probably cry if I dropped that much on wheels and just trashed them daily-driving on poorly maintained roads.
...the answer is no. you can spend 5grand on those super forged wheels but you can't beat road hazard. the only thing that will is the old steel wheels which we don't use anymore.

Quick Reply: Problems with Rota Grid's