Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS won't reset. :mad:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Software is the trick, and Bartec doesn't have it for the Lancer or Outlander for sure.
Yes, it does - or, at least, it can - because I have used a Wheelrite 400 on my car successfully. Bartec is quite aware of the differences between VDO and Schrader systems, as well as the lack of a built-in "relearn" ability in all Lancer ECUs. You just have to have the correct software and know to switch the tool to "read and upload" instead of just "ping and relearn."

http://www.mitsubishi-tpms.com/
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:40 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Yes, it does - or, at least, it can - because I have used a Wheelrite 400 on my car successfully. Bartec is quite aware of the differences between VDO and Schrader systems, as well as the lack of a built-in "relearn" ability in all Lancer ECUs. You just have to have the correct software and know to switch the tool to "read and upload" instead of just "ping and relearn."

http://www.mitsubishi-tpms.com/
That's the site I was on, and the phone number at the top is the one I called. They are the ones that said they couldn't reset it.

For good measure, the tire tech called them and was told the same thing.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

I can't explain this. I had the dealer switch me over to my winter wheels; then I switched it back with a Bartec at a local shop. This was last winter, not this winter. I can't explain why people are telling you that it can't, but you now have me low enough in confidence that I'll go back to the shop and make sure that it was a Wheelrite 400. I have a clear picture in my mind of it saying that on the face of the tool, but I know enough about human memory to have some doubts.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iowa and I have spoke about this- but I called bartec (twice) and talked to 2 different tech guys and they said they have no ability to relearn through the OBDII port on the Lancers. He said an update was coming and hopefully the engineers would have it figured out by then. I emailed last week about this and another person confirmed that they cannot relearn Lancer sensors just yet. I would love for this to work but it appears as of right now the only option is the dealer. I have a meyers tire guy stopping by the shop to talk to me about the ability to burn current registrations i.d's to new sensors as another possibilty but again he was not sure about Mitsu.

Last edited by packrat; Feb 16, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

The shop that I did the recoding of my senders is gone. It's now a Kung Fu school.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The shop that I did the recoding of my senders is gone. It's now a Kung Fu school.
Tell 'em we need some Bruce Lee-type wushu busted out on our sensors/senders.

When the TPMS system is fitted at the factory the unique ID numbers of the TPM sensors have to be registered along with their position on the car with the tire pressure monitor ECU.
If a TPM sensor or its position on the car is changed without re-registering the IDs then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the ID's are reregistered.
So, is the dealership/tire shop supposed to use a Bartec or similar tool everytime the wheels are rotated - or is the position on the car just not monitored??
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Location on the car is monitored. You load the codes from the senders to the tool in a particular order: clockwise (looking down), starting from the left front. That's how the ECU ending up knowing which wheel is where.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:03 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

^^ So what are you supposed to do if you rotate the wheels yourself.. or does the ECU just automatically figure out they've been moved?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by AFD
^^ So what are you supposed to do if you rotate the wheels yourself.. or does the ECU just automatically figure out they've been moved?
Yep. Within like 10 feet of driving the light goes off. My issue is that I have a brand new unprogrammed sensor on the car.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

+1 I've put the wrong wheels on the front and back when swapping back to streets in the dark (as shown by the brake dust the next day) and the light still went off. The tool wants you to read the wheels in a certain order; the car doesn't seem to care. Other cars, like some new Audis, tell you which tire is flat, so they care; our car gives a generic warning if one or more tires are flat and let's you figure out which one.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

TPMS are a major headache! My first winter I purchased 4 new rims, sensors and tires from tirerack. Put them on the car and light goes off. I go to Mavis, Sears, STS, ETD and no one can program the TPMS. Go to Mitsu and of course they can. Then I put on summer tires and learn that the car only remembers one set of tires. So I have to go back to Mitsu to have the oem sensors sync'd up again.

I do research and find this company called orange electronics that claimed their sensors work with our cars. Called a tech person there and then placed an order. Had the orange sensors put on my winter rims and of course they dont work. Go back to the 4 tire shops and none can program these. Call up orange and turns out they dont have the right program...great.

So I decide instead of giving in to Mitsu and giving them $120 (yes they charge that much by me) twice a year to program my sensors I sell my extra sensors and rims. So now I have summer and winter tires put on the same set of rims each year. I rather support the local tire shop than shady Mitsu. But now after 2 years of doing this my rims are beat to **** from having tires taken off and put on every year. We just cant win!

Luckily Tephra is working on a program where we can disable the tpms light ourselves. So I can go back to having 2 sets of rims/tires that I wont have to have changed every 6 months.

To the OP. If I were you I would find Tephra's thread and give it a little bump. He might have the tpms portion of his new program done and might give it to you for a lil donation. I'm in no rush so I havent checked in with his progress in a while.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Just a little update on something I'm going to try- tire guy stopped by the shop today and introduced us to the world of universal sensors. Basically you obtain your 4 sensor id numbers whether it be through a scantool- tpms tool - or dismounting the tire and physically get the number. Purchase 4 blank sensors and then burn each one using their "sens-it" device and voila- you have 4 new sensors that match the ones that are already programmed to your car. Sounds nice and easy but will I have success is the next question. Should have all the goodies in a couple days and I'll see how it goes. Will report back as soon as I have any news.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by packrat
Just a little update on something I'm going to try- tire guy stopped by the shop today and introduced us to the world of universal sensors. Basically you obtain your 4 sensor id numbers whether it be through a scantool- tpms tool - or dismounting the tire and physically get the number. Purchase 4 blank sensors and then burn each one using their "sens-it" device and voila- you have 4 new sensors that match the ones that are already programmed to your car. Sounds nice and easy but will I have success is the next question. Should have all the goodies in a couple days and I'll see how it goes. Will report back as soon as I have any news.
Is this from Orange or is another company taking this route, too?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds very similar to the Orange company I tried. I had to physically look at my sensors and write down the serial number for each one. I took pictures too incase anyone else needs the exact numbers. They then program their sensors to mimic the oem ones so I can use 2 sets of sensors without having to relearn either of them. Didnt quite work that way.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
EvoM Administrator

Went to the dealer yesterday. Light is gone!

Quick Reply: TPMS won't reset. :mad: