Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS won't reset. :mad:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
TPMS won't reset. :mad:

I've seen and posted in threads like this before, but my story is a bit different, so I thought I'd post up and seek help. I'll list it chronologically to make the most sense:

1) Tires changed at 9000 miles at Discount Tire, stock Advans dead. Tire tech comes out and tells me that when they were rebuilding the sensors (I don't know why they think they have to do this, especially at less than 10k miles on the car) that one of the sensors was cross threaded from the factory. They tried to get it off, could not, and put it back on. They said if it leaks to come back, it never did.

2) Tires changed at 29000 miles at Discount Tire, Star Specs pretty much dead. I didn't want to play TPMS sensor drama, so I ordered a stock sensor from Mitsubishi and brought it along. They replaced the problem sensor, and lo and behold, they can't reflash the sensors to work in the car, even though they told me they could.

So not only do I have a little TPMS light, my whole HUD is held hostage with an amber glow "TIRE PRESSURE", and I can't switch it to view gas mileage, SAYC, temp, anything.

3) I am just over an hour from the closest Mitsubishi dealership. They don't do service on Saturdays. They informed me that they could "reporgram" the sensors for $98, and it would take an hour and a half. I'm ticked. I don't want to pay $100, I don't have nearly four hours to blow on a work day to get this rectified.

Next, what the heck are they actually reporgramming? Not flashing the ROM too, right? I don't want them looking at my car closely, which is why it has never been to a dealership in the first place. They flat out can't flash the ROM, the car won't run if they did.

Any hope to rectify this easier than blowing half a work day at the dealer and watching them like hawks?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have Discount put your "damaged" one back in and tell them to not touch your sensors in the future. There is no reason to remove them from the wheel or "rebuild" them during a tire swap.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

They had to break it to get it out, so it's totally trashed.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have to marry the TPMS to your ECU. That is how it has been explained to me by mitsu. I just decided to say screw it and I never got mine reset. FYI our local dealership quoted only $60 to do this so I don't know if they are trying to take you for more or if we got a discount.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by BoostedRacing
They have to marry the TPMS to your ECU. That is how it has been explained to me by mitsu. I just decided to say screw it and I never got mine reset. FYI our local dealership quoted only $60 to do this so I don't know if they are trying to take you for more or if we got a discount.
I called the next closest one and they said $70. Thanks for the tip.
This won't mess with my tune, or they won't see/look at it during the routine, correct?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 04:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Good- holding info brings the normal screen back.

Bad- it resets every time and sometimes the little yellow tpms light flashes randomly while driving. Very annoying at night.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I just push the button and turn the warning off every time it does get annoying but I have no idea what they actually do at the dealership so I didn't want to risk it. Plus I don't trust any of them working on any of our cars.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:57 PM

It is horrible that Mitsubishi doesn't allow anyone other than them to mate your TPMS sensors to your specific car. I bought another set of TPMS sensors for my other set of rims/tires thinking that all could be programmed once and be good to go. It's not the case and Mitsubishi charges me $100 to reset each set of sensors to the car when I switch between summer and winter rims/tires. It is messed up but there is nothing we can do besides pay them to have the sensors be functional.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoXAddict
It is horrible that Mitsubishi doesn't allow anyone other than them to mate your TPMS sensors to your specific car.
That would be horrible, if it were true.

Actually, any shop with a Bartec Wheelrite 400 can "mate" your sensors to your car.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:27 PM

I stand corrected. I usually just go to Discount Tire for all of my wheel/tire needs. So what kind of cost do they charge for the TPMS compared to Mitsubishi to have them work?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by EvoXAddict
I stand corrected. I usually just go to Discount Tire for all of my wheel/tire needs. So what kind of cost do they charge for the TPMS compared to Mitsubishi to have them work?
I would assume Discount Tire doesn't have that particular Bartec tool or it doesn't work with Mitsu. Two different locations tried, both failed.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

All you need is the Bartech tool which is roughly $2k~ If you have 2 sets of tires and swap an average of twice a year, it will pay off. If you start hooking other members for $20 a reprogram, it might be worth it to invest in one! Even though I bought an extra full set of sensors for my winters, I had them reprogrammed once and no way in hell am I ever going to do that again! Live with the /!\
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Iowa999
That would be horrible, if it were true.

Actually, any shop with a Bartec Wheelrite 400 can "mate" your sensors to your car.
I'm sending you a PM on this.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know any more than what I've posted in the last six months. The one thing I should change in what I wrote above is that "any shop with a Wheelrite Tech 400 has the tools necessary to upload your TPMS codes to your ECU, but might not have the software and skills that are required." It's amazing how many people still think that all you need to do is "ping" the sensors and the ECU will learn the new codes. That might be true on a lot of other cars, but it is not true on an Evo X. You have to walk around the car clockwise, starting at the left front, reading the four codes, then connect to the ECU and upload them. Pinging our sensors does absolutely nothing or use.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I don't know any more than what I've posted in the last six months. The one thing I should change in what I wrote above is that "any shop with a Wheelrite Tech 400 has the tools necessary to upload your TPMS codes to your ECU, but might not have the software and skills that are required." It's amazing how many people still think that all you need to do is "ping" the sensors and the ECU will learn the new codes. That might be true on a lot of other cars, but it is not true on an Evo X. You have to walk around the car clockwise, starting at the left front, reading the four codes, then connect to the ECU and upload them. Pinging our sensors does absolutely nothing or use.
Software is the trick, and Bartec doesn't have it for the Lancer or Outlander for sure.

So it has to go to the dealer if I want it reset. Of course they want to do the recalls too, which I am completely against. I might just leave it glowing. Sigh.

Quick Reply: TPMS won't reset. :mad: