Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How important are backing plates/grease for brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How important are backing plates/grease for brake pads?

I did some research and everyone is hyping up the grease. I've always had Hawks, and they came with grease. I recently switched to Ferodo DS2500's, along with Girodisc's anti-noise shims in the front. I did not reuse the backing plates for the rear, it looked really worn out. No grease on all 4 corners.

My question is, should I order backing plates for the rear? And should I grease up all the pads? The car is going to be used as a daily driver, with occasional canyon runs and track events.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did my Ferodo 2500's. Was a little upset they didn't include grease. I used some grease on all of them and re-used the backings and they all work great with no squeaking so far at all.

I would suggest getting the new backplates honestly. I am sure you can get by without them but I would risk it. They are prolly cheap anyway.

Ok so they aren't cheap, lol. They show up as like 70-80 bucks. Still i would get them.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reuse the stock shims. It will make a huge difference in reducing noise. If you're tracking, get the titanium plates; that will make a huge difference in brake life.

As for grease, I like the Permatex Ceramic grease (the purple stuff). Doesn't burn away even at track brake temperatures.