Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Drop advice with 2012 Aero kit and speed bumps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop advice with 2012 Aero kit and speed bumps

I'm going to buy my 2012 GSR next month and the ONLY one my dealer can find with my options comes with the exterior kit. I really didn't want it because I live in a neighborhood with speed "humps". Also it snows there.

At some point I want to lower it maybe an inch or so to stiffen up the slight body roll I've heard the X's have. Every now and then I'm going to do AutoX too.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with springs/OEM front lip kit and speed bumps/humps? Am I going to be scraping if I lower? Should I just sell the kit on Ebay and go stock body, then lower it an inch?

Thanks all.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I do not auto cross do I can't comment on that perspective. However I have an 08 with SSS package. I recently droped mine in gtworks springs. It is very nice. The front air dam is 5 1/4 inch off the ground. Speed bumps you'll be fine unless you haul *** over them.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having the same prob and was doing a little research I think I'm going to go w/ GtWorx springs 20mm drop and Hotchkis sway bars
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:13 PM

Lower it and inch and you'll be fine over the bumps...But off the shelf springs arent going to make it that stiff, upgrade the shocks.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Man a LOT of people that bought the Swift springs say they wished they'd gone with mid grade coilovers. Coilovers would also eliminate tripoding around corners. I haven't heard too many complaints about the GTworks springs though. Hmm decisions.
I can deal with 5.25" of clearance. I drive gently in my neighborhood.

Seems like a rear swaybar is on my list now too. Apparently really helps swing that rear around, which is always good in AutoCross.

Thanks for the info guys. Any suggestions on a good coilover for street/light track? So far this is what I've heard:

buddy club coilovers -crappy
Megan coilovers -crappy, lots of complaints
BC coilovers -crappy reliability
I can expect to pay $2,000 for a nice pair.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by digitalskillz
Man a LOT of people that bought the Swift springs say they wished they'd gone with mid grade coilovers. Coilovers would also eliminate tripoding around corners. I haven't heard too many complaints about the GTworks springs though. Hmm decisions.
I can deal with 5.25" of clearance. I drive gently in my neighborhood.

Seems like a rear swaybar is on my list now too. Apparently really helps swing that rear around, which is always good in AutoCross.
Which Swift Springs did you hear that about? Maybe the Swift Sports. I've been running the Swift Spec R for 20k miles on my 2010 with the factory aero kit and have been completely pleased with their stance and performance.

You won't scrape the aero on any speed bumps/speed humps, you might have some problems on steep driveways however, that's been the only places I've scraped.

The Spec R are like 5.3kg spring rates which is a lot higher than stock or any other springs and the ride height over the fender is great and about as low as you can go without coils if you're running aggressive wheels/tires. I had to roll my fenders for sure to clear my 275/35 Star Specs on 18x9.5 +15 RPF-1's.

You will get less body roll and I noticed significantly more kick out with the rear under hard cornering with just a spring change, the addition of a beefier rear sway would add to that. If you're going with a new rear sway and running it on one of the stiffer settings, buy some new endlinks before hand because you will inevitably break/bend the puny stock ones if you auto-x it or track it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have the GTWorx springs and love them. The drop is more than I wanted, but I'm OK with it because the ride is phenomenal. It won't scrape on speed bumps as long as you drive sanely.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkromer
I have the GTWorx springs and love them. The drop is more than I wanted, but I'm OK with it because the ride is phenomenal. It won't scrape on speed bumps as long as you drive sanely.
I thought the gtworx springs didn't have too much of a drop 20mm is just a little more than 3/4 of an inch is the drop more than that cause this is the spring I was looking into . And what kind of drop does the swift spring have? And if any one has photos comparing the two would be helpful .

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

The drop is between the swift sport and swift r. I sent digitalskillz pics of mine in gt works. He can post them up if he wants. Or you can pm me your phone number and I'll send them. Can't post due to puter being down.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

The Spec R are close to a 1.5" drop, just a little less then the Eibachs.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Well, after doing a bunch more research, here's what I've found.

Stock springs: 180lbs front / 225lbs rear.

Swift Spec R for Evo X
$315
Front Drop: 1.25"
Rear Drop: 1"
Front Spring Rate - 296 lbs/inch or 5.3kg
Rear Spring Rate - 296 lbs/inch or 5.5kg
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pec-r-win.html
General consensus: Great springs! Really stiffens things up. Can be used with stock shocks, but obviously blistens revalved would be better.
Best feature: The drop level really looks nice.

Swift Sport for Evo X
$300
Front Drop: 1"
Rear Drop: .6"
Front Spring Rate - 149-242 lbs/inch
Rear Spring Rate - 132-206 lbs/inch
General consensus: Some people say they should have bought coilovers, but that may be due to not correcting the roll center? dunno.

GTworx tarmac for Evo X
$300
Rear Drop: .75"
Front Spring Rate - 300 lbs/inch
Rear Spring Rate - 300 lbs/inch
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...installed.html
General consensus: Great springs! Really stiffens things up. Can be used with stock shocks, but obviously blistens revalved would be better.
Best feature: Drop is pretty mild so the stock shocks still have enough travel to do their job. More for handling than looks.

Last edited by digitalskillz; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Took out unfair assumptions
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

I have the GTworx springs and i like them a lot. Stiffens it up a bit but yet not too stiff for dd. I feel that the car does handle better with less body roll.

I also have the oem kit. My mud flaps scrape a lot. I don't really have too much issues with the side skirt scraping. The front scrapes quite a bit. I still have the rubber lip on. You really have to angle it on speed bumps and take them really really slow.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you're buying a WW X, I'll take the aero kit off your hands
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Just drive easy and take your speed humps at angles if you have to. I take everything at angles anyway since I owned my 8. Haha.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by digitalskillz
Swift Sport for Evo X
$300
Rear Drop: .6"
Front Spring Rate - 149-242 lbs/inch
Rear Spring Rate - 132-206 lbs/inch
General consensus: Most preople don't like them at all, think they are crap, should have bought coilovers, unhappy.
Um, where did you get the idea that "Most people don't like them at all, think they are crap, should have bought coilovers, unhappy" for the Swift Sports??? The vast majority of threads I can find on this board and others from people that actually have these have been very favorable. While they will not give you a huge drop, they do give you a reasonable amount of drop and work great with an otherwise stock setup. I have driven/had rides in a couple of different Evos with the Swift Sport shocks and they work great. Very comfortable, excellent handling, and they won't shake the fillings out of your teeth.

You shouldn't be comparing coilovers to lowering springs. Two very different things in very different price brackets. If you are going to autocross, then I recommend just going with the coilovers. However, if you are not doing track or autocross, and you want a mild amount of drop while being able to keep everything else stock on the suspension, then the Swift Sports work very well. Great quality product from a great company.

Saying everyone doesn't like them and thinks they are crap is a bit of a stretch.

Quick Reply: Drop advice with 2012 Aero kit and speed bumps