Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Roll Center Adjustment Kit on Stock Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Center Adjustment Kit on Stock Suspension?

Like a lot of people, I'm looking for a way to reduce the Evo body roll.

The car is a DD but I do attend ~3-4 track days/AX per year. I find the body roll to be a bit much and I end up squealing tires pretty easily through tight corners. I've thought about lowering springs but don't want to compromise the ride quality or longevity of my stock ('10 GSR) struts.

My question is, will the whiteline RCA kit reduce my body roll with the stock springs/struts? Anyone have experience with this setup?

Also, would stiffer rear sway help address this issue w/o changing springs/struts?

Additional Info: I'm running Hankook V12's and have considered trying a more aggressive tire to increase grip, but I think the body roll is really limiting me from getting all of the performance from the V12's.

Thanks for the advice!
Old May 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Look at a set of front & rear anti-sway bars to compliment the stock suspension instead. IMO, no need for a RCK until you're lowered.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm quite sure the RCK is used only to put the roll center back into it's correct range AFTER lowering the car. I see no benefit adding this to a stock suspension set up. Get a rear sway and some subtle drop springs like Swift Sports. They ride nearly identical to the stockers. Those mods alone will drastically reduce the roll.

Originally Posted by DGlory
Like a lot of people, I'm looking for a way to reduce the Evo body roll.

The car is a DD but I do attend ~3-4 track days/AX per year. I find the body roll to be a bit much and I end up squealing tires pretty easily through tight corners. I've thought about lowering springs but don't want to compromise the ride quality or longevity of my stock ('10 GSR) struts.

My question is, will the whiteline RCA kit reduce my body roll with the stock springs/struts? Anyone have experience with this setup?

Also, would stiffer rear sway help address this issue w/o changing springs/struts?

Additional Info: I'm running Hankook V12's and have considered trying a more aggressive tire to increase grip, but I think the body roll is really limiting me from getting all of the performance from the V12's.

Thanks for the advice!
Old May 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when you lower the car, you alter the suspension geometry (there are a number of good threads that explain center of gravity and roll axis etc) and in turn increase body roll. the rck is designed to alter the geometry to be more like it was when it was at stock height, so, no, the rck wouldn't help you on stock suspension.

edit: ^the dude above beat me to it!
Old May 10, 2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by black95tt
I'm quite sure the RCK is used only to put the roll center back into it's correct range AFTER lowering the car. I see no benefit adding this to a stock suspension set up. Get a rear sway and some subtle drop springs like Swift Sports. They ride nearly identical to the stockers. Those mods alone will drastically reduce the roll.
Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Any stories on the effects of Swift Sports on stock struts? I've heard that the GSR struts are more resilient to lowering springs than the MR, but will the Swifts still increase wear&tear?
Old May 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any stories on the effects of Swift Sports on stock struts? I've heard that the GSR struts are more resilient to lowering springs than the MR, but will the Swifts still increase wear&tear?
i drove on crappy eibach prokit springs for quite a while. i did a good number of track days and autox's on them and the struts held up fine. i didn't have any sign of failure or wear or tear that was obvious.

the swift springs and gtworx springs don't lower the car all that much so i would venture a guess and say that you're even less likely than me to have strut issues.

that's my worthless two cents.

also with the gtworx springs, they don't recommend you run the rck since it isn't necessary.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Any lowering spring will increase wear, but it will be minimal with a properly designed spring.

36k miles on my Eibach Prokits and the shocks are just as tight now as they were when new; same with my ex-wife's WRX on Prokits which now have over 60k miles on them. These are my recommended, and favorite, DD street car springs. I had Swift Sports on my IX and they were ok, but I like these better.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's too early to tell for me, and I've not heard any direct experience with people that have blown struts early from Swift Sports. The Sports are very subtle though. Going with something like the Eibach's or H&R's that really slam the car may wear them out a little more quickly. Either way, I wouldn't worry about that too much. You can find people parting out slightly used struts all the time for like $200 a set.

Old May 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
i drove on crappy eibach prokit springs for quite a while. i did a good number of track days and autox's on them and the struts held up fine. i didn't have any sign of failure or wear or tear that was obvious.

the swift springs and gtworx springs don't lower the car all that much so i would venture a guess and say that you're even less likely than me to have strut issues.

that's my worthless two cents.

also with the gtworx springs, they don't recommend you run the rck since it isn't necessary.
To be clear, the RCK would definitely help with our springs, it's just not "required."

To the OP, i agree with others that a set of swaybars would be a better buy for the money on the stock springs than a RCK.

- Andrew
Old May 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Does the RCK improve steering response at all? Is the Perrin Steering Response kit the same thing, or are they different?
Old May 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can use a RCK without lowering the car and it will reduce body roll.

The problem is that an excessively high roll center will cause weight transfer to happen too quickly, which decreases lateral grip. (Tires like to have loads change gradually, not suddenly.) This is why a RCK is not suggested until you need one to fix the geometry.

As to steering response, that depends on what you mean. It will make the nose more "twitchy," so I guess it helps. It also makes the nose more likely to plough if you yank the steering wheel around too much, so it ends up hurting most drivers.

Last edited by Iowa999; May 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

By steering response, I'm curious if it improves turn-in response. I can feel a huge difference between my 2010 MR compared with my 2006 IX RS I used to have, the MR reacts a bit more slowly to steering input. Wondering if I can recapture some of that feeling with a Perrin kit or Whiteline RCK.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

fwiw, mine's lowered on Eibach's too, so I do plan to get the RCK, but curious if it's the same or can be combined with the Perrin kit.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by srt4evah
fwiw, mine's lowered on Eibach's too, so I do plan to get the RCK, but curious if it's the same or can be combined with the Perrin kit.
Yes, they are two completely separate parts.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:03 AM

It sounds like a rear sway might be the best bang for the buck to get started. I don't have a lift but will be working on jack stands - is this an install that I can do myself (with help)? I've heard the front is a PITA so I'll probably go rear-only for now...

Also, what risk do I run with using the stock end links? Do i need to upgrade those as well?

Quick Reply: Roll Center Adjustment Kit on Stock Suspension?