Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hankook Ventus V12 or Yokohama S-Drive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had v12 evos on my rsx and loved them. quiet, rode well, wore well, and gripped fantastic. never had a chance to take them to the track though, but daily life was well worth it. i'll probably end up putting them on the evo come spring time.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Again, if by RSX you are referring to a Honda, then that's not really useful here. Hondas must run relatively soft sidewalls for acceleration grip due to being wrong-wheel drive. We don't have to, so we can run stiffer sidewalls for cornering. It's part of the advantage of AWD.

Of course, if what the thread-starter is after is a nice ride on the street, then V12s might be perfect (for exactly this reason - softer sidewall). But I co-drove an MR on V12s at an autocross and they were just awful, IMO. A second slower than R-S3s.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

no comment on the yoko but i recently purchase a set of v12 (stock spec) for my dd gsr.

these tires are really quiet. my previous tire was nt05 (275/35/18) which was pretty loud. so far, i've put about 600 miles. the side walls are tooooo soft for our cars. feels like cars floating in the air. steering response therefore has also diminished. not recommended if you slay corners. dragsters can probably get a good use out of these. decent grip, soft walls, good thread life.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:29 AM

Very good information. I was down to three options: Hankook v12, Hankook rs3 and Dunlop star spec z1.

So now it is just between Hankook rs3 and Dunlop because I am looking for tires that will offer good cornering at high speeds.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ran both in a 275/35/18 on my Evo X. S-Drives hands down. The V12 lasted about 1k miles before they started chunking and one tire developed a nice size blister. They also felt super "floaty" during driving. The S-Drives on the other hand felt very responsive and direct. The S-Drives lasted around 40K miles with camber flipping (due to my -2.5 camber). They remained excellent through out, but they did develop a lot of road noise the more they wore down.

I would highly recommend the S-Drives if going for a 275/35/18 tire.

Last edited by AWDTerror; Feb 4, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:07 AM

I very much enjoyed my V12's on my DSM. Great grip all around. I especially liked their wet weather grip on that car. Way better than my buddies Dunlops.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by islandct9a
Very good information. I was down to three options: Hankook v12, Hankook rs3 and Dunlop star spec z1.

So now it is just between Hankook rs3 and Dunlop because I am looking for tires that will offer good cornering at high speeds.
I ran a set of Star Specs and was really happy with them. (I do the odd track day but mostly DD).

They are discontinued though, so you might want to snap them up if you can still find them. Personally I will wait for reviews of the replacements (Direzza ZII)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by islandct9a

the v12 is not for you. the side walls are made of black marshmallows.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the info guys really appreciate it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Here's why this post is close to worthless. You are comparing a specific tire from one company (Hankook V12) to all tires from another (Toyo Brand). Even worse, the company that makes the specific happens to make a street tire (R-S3) that is better than any street tire made by the other company (Toyo), at least in terms of the characteristic that you mention as critical (sidewall stiffness).

Please put some more effort into your posts. It sounds like you might have some useful experience or knowledge, but it's not coming across at all. Thanks.
This is a forum, what are you thread police. Who is putting rs3 you, please. I won't argue, hankook does not stand behind the products they make, I don't care if they make rs3. Woo I've had just about every brand high performance tires, so I have actual experience.
Had hankook s they suck period. Even better ALL HANKOOKS are junk. I can tell your a Internet tough guy. the op was asking about hankooks & gave my .02. Sorry you don't like it, I state facts from real world driving, not specs from tire rack page. You can buy the best tires in the world, it's your option be my guest since you are am expert.
I mention toyo because with the set I was running they were like glue. No issues unlike the hankook garbage. Have had excellent results. Also vredstein are one of the best brands hands down. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Risky Guy; Feb 5, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Risky Guy
This is a forum, what are you thread police
Yes, I am.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somehow he must of missed the big 'moderator' tag under your name.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
This is a forum, what are you thread police.
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Yes, I am.

Oh, and a side note.. Knocking RS-3s on this forum won't work. They have been proven over, and over, and over, and over.. well you get the idea..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a forum, what are you thread police. Who is putting rs3 you, please. I won't argue, hankook does not stand behind the products they make, I don't care if they make rs3. Woo I've had just about every brand high performance tires, so I have actual experience.
Had hankook s they suck period. Even better ALL HANKOOKS are junk. I can tell your a Internet tough guy. the op was asking about hankooks & gave my .02. Sorry you don't like it, I state facts from real world driving, not specs from tire rack page. You can buy the best tires in the world, it's your option be my guest since you are am expert.
I mention toyo because with the set I was running they were like glue. No issues unlike the hankook garbage. Have had excellent results. Also vredstein are one of the best brands hands down. Have a nice day.
Hi, I am a industry expert and your post is worthless.

I have tested and driven just about EVERY tire out there (real testing). So, I actually have experience. You're 0.02 cents have been noted and thrown away with the lent in my pocket.

I can tell you're an internet moron. You should stop posting. I am not sorry if you don't like it. You have not stated any facts.

OP - good tire for daily driving.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on getting the v12's for a summer tire...iowa/smike....how much faster do the rs3's wear down?

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus V12 or Yokohama S-Drive