Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installing KW V3 coilovers - FAILING

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012 | 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing KW V3 coilovers - FAILING

So I thought I could install these coilovers myself. Wrong. I was surprised by all of the different potential issues that using the stock hardware could present. Anyways, I've managed to install the fronts (although I doubt I've torqued the top nuts enough because the whole assembly turns), and even the rears.

However, the rears are clunkling like crazy! Almost to the point where I wonder if my suspension will fall out. So I've researched all day and I still cant quite find a straight answer. I think I am missing some stock components in the rear? I have the top nuts torqued to the oem washer on the rubber piece that sits above the OEM top hat. Under the oem top hat I used the KW supplied plate (looks like a washer) and the purple perch on the upper spring that mates up with the bottom of the top hat. I'm wondering if there should be an oem rubber bushing between the top mount and the KW plate that goes under the top mount? I'm guessing it's the plate hitting the top mount that is making the clunking noise? I question if that little plate can truly be that loud. Anyways, I never found the oem rubber bushing with my oem suspension, so I'm doubtful. Thanks all.

B
Old Jun 23, 2012 | 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when do you get the clunking?
Old Jun 23, 2012 | 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
How did you assemble the coilovers?
Old Jun 23, 2012 | 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
check your washers... I think you didn't installed them right or you didnt at all. You have to re-use all the oem ones if i remember right.
Old Jun 23, 2012 | 07:34 PM

It clunks over bumps. I have the two bolts torqued down to the oem washer that sits on a rubber bushing. This is torqued down to the oem top hat. Beneath the oem top hat i have the kw supplied washer (i installed it without it the first time, to find the rod protuding through entirely...not cool). Everything else is the kw spring components. I think there is supposed to be a rubber bushing between the top hat and the kw washer? It wasnt with my oem suspension, so i'm not 100% sure. I just dont know what else it could be? Doesnt sound good and i find it crazy that the metal washer hitting the bottom of the top hat is making this amount of noise.
Old Jun 24, 2012 | 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In the rear, you can pull the whole coilover off the car with much effort. I would do this and post a picture or two.
Old Jun 24, 2012 | 06:15 PM

Found the bushing...figured it out. Yes! I can keep my alignment/corner balance appointment.