Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Speed Bleeder Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Bleeder Gone Wrong

While rotating tires and checking pad material this weekend, I thought it would be a good time to swap the stock brake bleed screws for speed bleeders. A friend had recommended them for quick bleeds, so I purchased the speed bleeders from a lancer parts retailers that I had used previously.

The install seemed to go smoothly enough at first. I stopped tightening once the one-way valve seemed to engage, and seemed to be able to bleed the brakes well enough. I tightened the screws further to where I thought they would be closed. After starting the car, I noticed that the pedal was noticeably softer as the power added significant force. Sure enough I was losing fluid. Tightened the screw past stock torque specs, refilled reservoir, try again. Now, a little more resistance, but the pedal goes to the floor again. Fluid everywhere now, all over strut, fender liners, sway bar, floor. What if I tighten a little bit more? Same result, more squirting brake fluid. At that point I needed to get the car back together so I could pick up a friend. After swapping back to the stock screw, no problem at all. Hmmm. I stopped to compare the two screws after the first bout of squirting fluid - there are definitely some differences.

Check out the attached picture. Stock on the left and speed bleeder on the right. The taper on the end of the screw and the shaft length above it seem to be significantly different between stock and speed bleeder. Is M10 x 1.0 really the stock replacement? The hole also seems quite a bit larger, and possible in a slightly different location.

For now I am going to stick with 2-person bleeding (and keep cleaning brake fluid off the walls of the garage).
Attached Thumbnails Speed Bleeder Gone Wrong-speed-bleeder-evo.jpg  
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
excuse the ignorance, but what do "speed bleeders" do that regular bleeder screws don't?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have a little ball & spring inside that allows fluid out, but not air in.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had speed bleeders on my DSM. They never worked well.

Motive Power Bleeder >> Speed Bleeders
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dam it I was JUST about to buy these and I said, Let me do a quick search on here. -___-
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, M10 x 1.0 is the right size bleed screw thread and pitch - speed bleeders or otherwise.

I was considering speed bleeders too. Maybe not. What I really want is a bleed screw inside a bleed screw... The Brembos bleed screw is steel, the caliper is aluminum, and the process of bleeding the brakes, if you do it often, (and we do) can cause the aluminum threads to slowly fail, or worse, you can easily strip them and find yourself with a helicoil kit. A real pain. But a steel bleed screw that threaded into a screw that you would only have to screw into the caliper once, would be great. It would allow for easier bleeding with les risk of stripping the caliper...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Might want to do some real quick and scrupulous work with some cleaner and rags, or your calipers are going to look like hell after that brake fluid sits on them for a couple days.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at the speed bleeder and believe that, to get it to seat properly in the hole, I'll need to file down the tip from a point. I tried it with one and it is easy to do and now looks identical to the oem bleed screw. The real question will be will it seat properly and not allow fluid to escape at very high pressures and temperatures.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnr352
Yes, M10 x 1.0 is the right size bleed screw thread and pitch - speed bleeders or otherwise.

I was considering speed bleeders too. Maybe not. What I really want is a bleed screw inside a bleed screw... The Brembos bleed screw is steel, the caliper is aluminum, and the process of bleeding the brakes, if you do it often, (and we do) can cause the aluminum threads to slowly fail, or worse, you can easily strip them and find yourself with a helicoil kit. A real pain. But a steel bleed screw that threaded into a screw that you would only have to screw into the caliper once, would be great. It would allow for easier bleeding with les risk of stripping the caliper...
wouldn't it just be easier to helicoil the caliper hole and insert the steel bleeder than wait for someone to make what you described?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

In theory, the Speed Bleeders for any recent STi will fit our cars without any modification (since they're the same brakes). The part number is SB1010S.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suby2evo
dam it i was just about to buy these and i said, let me do a quick search on here. -___-

lol
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
wouldn't it just be easier to helicoil the caliper hole and insert the steel bleeder than wait for someone to make what you described?
Well, yes. As a temp fix, and we've helicoiled one caliper. (We keep a spare set of calipers ready to go). But the right long term solution is a better design than steel into aluminum, especially when you are bleeding the calipers 20 times a season. So, there's nothing wrong with a helicoil, but they won't last forever.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I had speed bleeders on my DSM. They never worked well.

Motive Power Bleeder >> Speed Bleeders
Which Power Bleeder kit did you pick up for your Evo?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my buddy stripped out his calipers from overtightening and then tryed to helicoil them. he was driving it one day and the helicoil came loose and stripped it out further. none the less i wouldn't want to put a tempory fix in something that is so vital as the brakes. I was thinking of a way to almost put a quick coupler for the bleeder screw so when you need to bleed just connect, pump, and your good to go but would have to have someone CAD it up to see if it is feasable.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roen
Which Power Bleeder kit did you pick up for your Evo?
Motive #1107 - it says Ford three-tab, but don't let that scare you; it's the right one

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeder Gone Wrong