Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

spacers questions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The OE offset puts the center of the wheel just about square with the wheel-bearing. Any offset lower than OE, therefore, puts an angular force through the bearing, when braking, when accelerating, and when just sitting there or cruising. This ages them faster.

How much faster? Well, that depends on a whole bunch of things. But keep in mind that the angular force isn't linear (it follows a sine function, instead) as you drop the offset. Thus, small changes, such as dropping down to +30 or so, aren't much of a big deal. But the next 8mm, from +30 to +22, would be about three times worse.

In any event, no-one can tell you how much sooner you'll need new wheel-bearings if you add spacers.
I can add a little info. I ran 20 MM spacers from Kics that are hub centric with stock wheels for about 3 years. No issues with the bearings. the biggest damage is due to the salt and snow, not the spacers...so I am about to replace them, but not because of the spacers. BTW, i was really happy with the quality of the Kics spacers...I know some guys in 911s runinng these in the rear at the track so they can run bigger tires and they have had no issues...some of them are running big HP (600whp+...at least that is what they claim )
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
just to be clear for anyone looking at spacers, that vid has nothing to do with spacers, the guy just forgot to tighten his lugnuts after swapping the wheels when he got to the autox

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I've posted it before, but my all-time favorite lug-nut fiasco at an autocross is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:06 AM

I have the H&R Trak+ 15mm spacers on my MR and have been very happy with them.

15mm spacers look great with the Swift Sport Springs and stock MR rim combo (IMHO).

The H&R spacers are an excellent quality product, are easy to install, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Click the link in my sig for photos.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rparker35
I have the H&R Trak+ 15mm spacers on my MR and have been very happy with them.

15mm spacers look great with the Swift Sport Springs and stock MR rim combo (IMHO).

The H&R spacers are an excellent quality product, are easy to install, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Click the link in my sig for photos.
How is the ride with the Swift Springs? How low did it take you down? I've good things about Swift Springs.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by EvilYeti
How is the ride with the Swift Springs? How low did it take you down? I've good things about Swift Springs.
The Swift Sport Springs drop the car about 1 inch in the front and 0.6 inches in the back. If you want more than that you can get the Spec R version.

I personally think the Swift Sport drop is perfect for a daily driver. It drops the car just enough and, when combined with the 15mm spacers, I think it gives the car a very nice stance. The ride is very comfortable (as good as stock if not better) and I haven't had any issues with them.

Obviously these are not the springs to buy if you want that slammed to the ground look, but not sure what the purpose of that is anyway.

If you want a nice average drop with a comfortable ride, while still maintaining the awesome handling characteristics of the Evo, then I would recommend the Swift Sports.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:36 PM

H&R or KIC is what I would go with, I have ran with both and no issues