Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Prematurely worn Rotors on stock brakes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prematurely worn Rotors on stock brakes

I just took my X in to the dealership for it's 30k maintenance and when they checked the brakes for wear they told me that the pads were due for replacement soon and the rotors were too thin to be machined smooth. Now I wasn't surprised about the pads, but the rotors shouldn't be that worn, right? This is a completely stock car with only 30k miles on it that's never been raced and is still on it's 1st set of brake pads. If the rotors need to be replaced every time the pads need to be swapped than something seems wrong to me...anyone else had this issue? Or is the dealer full of it?

Thanks,
Nick
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that you should have gotten more miles from the rotors, especially if you're on your first set of pads. Can you buy or borrow come calipers to measure your rotors to verify the problem?

In any event, don't get OE replacements from a dealer. We have plenty of vendors here that will sell you "blanks" or better for much, much less than Mitsu will ask for.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Have you gotten a second opinion? The dealer may just be trying to squeeze all the money they can out of you.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Your pads are probably about due, but your rotors should be fine. Slap in a new set of pads and call it good; with 30k miles on your stock pads that tells me you haven't been abusing them too much so the rotors should be perfectly fine for another set of pads. Hell, my rear rotors are on there 3rd set of pads at 63k miles with plenty of thickness still left. My front rotors are on their 3rd set of pads plus were turned once, and still have enough thickness to be within spec.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have some calipers at work so I'll pull of a wheel and measure the rotors myself this weekend when I have free time. I suspect the dealership is full of it.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by lippy1306
Have you gotten a second opinion? The dealer may just be trying to squeeze all the money they can out of you.
I agree
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way your rotors maybe out of spec is if at some point they got warped. Factory rotors are usually pretty thin. It would be a good time time to go with a 2 pc setup like the girodisc and save about 4lbs of rotating mass per wheel.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Spazpilot
The only way your rotors maybe out of spec is if at some point they got warped. Factory rotors are usually pretty thin. It would be a good time time to go with a 2 pc setup like the girodisc and save about 4lbs of rotating mass per wheel.
Anyone who can warp an OE Evo X GSR rotor just driving on the street needs to lose his or her license.

Our OE rotors are not thin.

Two-piece replace rotors would be exactly the same thickness, since they'd need to fit the calipers.

Less mass almost always means easier to warp.

Now, what was the question again?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:34 PM

One question, are the rotors worn unevenly? Sometimes the pads will wear the rotors unevenly or even put gouges in the rotor. Not saying that is the case here but it wasn't clear. If they are worn unevenly or possibly gouged a little, the dealership might be saying that they can't cut the rotors down far enough to remove the gouge and keep them within spec thickness. I have had that happen to previous vehicles.
Just a thought.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW I'm still on my stock rotors at around 97k miles. I replaced my OEM pads with Girodisc Magic pads at around 30k miles and I really need to get new pads on ASAP (mine are getting too close for comfort to the indicator clips). The stock rotors look just fine, but I'll measure them when I swap out the pads. You really have to be driving hard on the street with the stock pads to warp your rotors... REALLY hard...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 01:19 PM

OP here: I finally got around to checking the rotors and they were fine. I just did a simple pad swap and everything is working great...last time I ever go to that dealership!