Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installed coilovers. Need to sched an alignment... Questions first.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed coilovers. Need to sched an alignment... Questions first.

So I installed my Eibach R1s yesterday and need to go in for an allignment (even though I was surprised how close I was without one).

Currently I am not running any wheels spacers, but running PlastiDiped stock wheels until I have the extra cash to buy the Gram Lights I want. Here's my question:

Can I get an alignment now and put wheel spacers on afterwards? Or will this throw something in the alignment process off again my initial alignment pointless? Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have been told that it really wont change things that much but then I think to myself if the wheel is 20mm pushed out wont it cause the wear on the inner edge to be at a more severe "angle?"

On a side not I have 2 - Ichiba V2 20mm bolt on spacers for sale if you need some!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Why do you think spacers would change the camber?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Why do you think spacers would change the camber?
I don't necessarily think that, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks though. I'll assume I should be fine after thinking a bit more in depth about it.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:04 AM

You'll be fine. Installing spacers don't change the alignment specs which is done by adjusting the camber bolts and adjusting the control arms. By pushing out the wheels more, you're increasing the leverage distance, and the camber may increase but very little...maybe .0002 degrees and won't make a difference in the tire wear.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 09:32 AM

These guys are way smarter on this stuff than I am. But ....

Your original ask implies that you are going to change from stock wheels to Gram Lights and add spacers.

Me, I buy aftermarket wheels that are bigger with more aggressive offsets than stock. Then I buy lower profile tires to match up with the Evo's systems. A lot of us do.

If the Grams are different in diameter, width and/or offset and/or you get new tires with a non OE profile, and add spacers, I would get back to the alignment shop immediately.

For example: my OE Enkeis have snows, my Work Emotions are 18 x 9.5 + 15 with extreme summer 265/35s and my 5zigen track day wheels are 18 x 10.5/10 +12 with 275/35s. The sets really need to be aligned differently.

Just sayin' ...
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Get spacers first, align after.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

What I imply is I would be adding wheel spacers to my stock wheels for now. Then when I have funds for the Gram Lights I want, I would ditch the spacers and OE wheels.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Get spacers first, align after.
Or, get an alignment now and add the spacers whenever you wish. (Since spacers have no effect on alignment.)

tee hee
Old Oct 4, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm shaking my head with the guy who has three sets of wheels and gets an alignment for each.... I mean an aggressive track alignment I get but to get an alignment every time you change wheels really??
Old Oct 5, 2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
I'm shaking my head with the guy who has three sets of wheels and gets an alignment for each.... I mean an aggressive track alignment I get but to get an alignment every time you change wheels really??
Really!

Nothing worse than having a track ride-along on board with wide fronts grinding against fender liners and such under braking compression in the turns. I know from experience.

Snow tires aren't really effective with negative camber and squatting, lowered in the wheel wells. When you put on snows you really need to return to stock suspension settings.

If you shake your head maybe it should be over the lack of sufficient adjustable or self adjusting OE suspension components to accommodate these uses/conditions.

Last edited by Iowa999; Oct 5, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rocooper45
Nothing worse than having a track ride-along on board with wide fronts grinding against fender liners and such under braking compression in the turns. I know from experience.
How is a new alignment going to alter tire-to-fender-liner contact? Tire-to-fender-lip I get, but not tire-to-fender-liner.

Snow tires aren't really effective with negative camber and squatting, lowered in the wheel wells. When you put on snows you really need to return to stock suspension settings.
I agree that swapping tire-types and road-surfaces can call for a new alignment, but I do not agree with running Mitsu's suggested amount of rear toe-in with snows. If anything, snows want zero toe more than summers.

If you shake your head maybe it should be over the lack of sufficient adjustable or self adjusting OE suspension components to accommodate these uses/conditions.
If you are referring to such cars as Audi All-Roads, which can alter ride-height on the fly, please note that none of these cars have self-adjusting toe or camber. In fact, I have no idea what "self adjusting OE suspension components" might be, but would love to learn more about them.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
wheel choice, size, offset, spacers (same thing as changing offset), tire choice... don't effect alignment.

Just get it done at a decent place. Make them do it to your specs, if they say they can't do specific specs then leave. If they say all they do is get it within factory, then leave. Find a place that will get it exactly right, it's not that hard to do and is important it's done right.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Really!

Yes I said really?? In a perfect world maybe getting an alignment for winter duty and for track duty would be ideal. But who has the time and money to be getting an alignment 3 times a year or however many times you decide to switch out wheels. If you're independently wealthy go right ahead. My agressive set up of -3 front 1.5 rear 0 toe all around is just fine no matter what wheel/tire combo I run. I rarely have to worry about tires hitting fender lips because of the 700lb springs in the front and 900 in the rear. That being said that may be a little too much for most to stomach as far as comfort goes. This is my setup and it works for me. As far as that last paragraph goes.....Iowa took care of that one lol
Old Oct 6, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

And I was really only shaking my head because your post made it sound like every time you had a track day you got the car realigned. Having a dedicated set of track wheels I would think implies you track the car quite a bit. If you're getting an alignment every time you track the car....jeez my mind is blown at how much money you're spending. Lets say you track the car 4 times a year, which is nothing, and lets you have someone willing to do it for 60 an alignment. So that 120 an event no? At four times a year that's 480 bucks....which has me shaking my head.....am I being illogical?